Backpack stoves

T43

I'm looking at a new stove. I am trying to decide between the Jetboil Flash and the Primus ETA Solo. Is one much better than the other or should I just get the one that is the best deal. Is there another similar set up I should look into.

northforkecap

May 28, 2011
Medford, OR
Take a look at the Pocket Rocket by MSR: lightweight, compact and very easy to assemble and use in the field. It costs about $40 and comes with a small, compact case. I've used it in the wilderness for my bivy camps and found it to be effective.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I have used that primus Eta 2 and LOVE it. I plan on picking up a eta solo myself. If it were me I'd go with Primus, they are a great company and are made in Wyoming!

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I haven't used either one, but considered the Jetboil a few years ago when I started building my backcountry gear system. I went with a Snowpeak Giga power stove and a Snowpeak solo cookset. Very light and boiles water fast. Its compact and fits in a pack without taking up much space. There are a lot of choices in stoves out there, so pick the one that fits your style the best. Look at what Altitude you will be hunting as well. Some burn better at high elevations than others.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I love my jetboil, have not tried the primus. I also have a MSR that has a braided hose on it (forget the name of the stove) that I use when it is real cold out. With the hose I can hold my fuel source upside down to keep the fuel flowing.

T43

When it gets that cold I plan on cooking in th comfort of my camp trailer. That does bring up the question though, how cold are these stoves good for? I assumed I would be covered down to the zero degree range is that not the case.

Chris

Mar 15, 2011
Central, TX
I have been using the MSR pocket rocket for the last 5 seasons and it has always worked great. My only complaint is on those really bad days in tough Alaska weather, it's tough to balance a decent size pot full of water inside a tent. Bought a jetboil this spring and it's served me well on several long kayaking trips. I really like it's efficiency on fuel, quick boil time, and how it's one compact unit. The Pocket Rocket setup I use is just a tad lighter, though.

I have the Soto Micro regular stove and really like it. It has a sparker on it so no more burning the tops of your hands and it has a regulator on it as well so when your canister is half empty it will still produce the same amount of BTU's as if the canister was full, that keeps your boil times the same and it is not affected by altitude like the pocket rocket or other stoves. I would definitely consider it.

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
Another vote for the Jetboil. I just got some of the SOL's in stock and grabbed one for myself. Tested it out on a backpacking bear hunt and loved it. The jetboils are tough to beat for their efficiency and ease use. They are at least twice as efficient as the Brunton raptor I used to use. Comes in handy when you plan on spending at least 3-4 days in the backcountry. I used to pack two fuel canisters but can easily get by with just one now.

plentycoupe

May 27, 2011
North Pole AK
I have used the pocket rocket and jet boil for a few years in alaska. I actually carry a PR as a backup when going on extended hunts. Usually always dehydrated food so the JB is awesome for this.
It does act up when the temp drops though. Next year I will carry a Soto micro regulator and my jet boil cup. On the advice from a friend I will use a dremel and make slots to fit the cup and stove together during use. Should get much better boil in the colder weather.

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
I have used the pocket rocket and jet boil for a few years in alaska. I actually carry a PR as a backup when going on extended hunts. Usually always dehydrated food so the JB is awesome for this.
It does act up when the temp drops though. Next year I will carry a Soto micro regulator and my jet boil cup. On the advice from a friend I will use a dremel and make slots to fit the cup and stove together during use. Should get much better boil in the colder weather.
The new Jetboil stoves have a regulator this year so they should do much better in extreme cold.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
About 15 years ago I was in some small town sporting goods store and saw this little stove for $15.00 I was so intrigued by its size. I asked the shop guy if he would let me fire it up on a fuel can to see how it worked. It worked well. The valve is progressive, so you can simmer, or fry something. The can in the photos is a 3.88 oz fuel can. It can hook up to anything with the small threaded tops. I like to buy the isobutane/propane mix fuels as they tend to be more stable in the higher and colder elevations.
The pizo lighter still sparks but never lights the thing, so I keep a bic lighter right inside the pouch with the stove.
This is and has been the smallest and lightest stove I have ever seen.

This is the Markill HotShot stove. Weighs in at 7oz.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I also have a pocket rocket for a back up stove. I like it and it boils almost as fast as the jetboil. Like many other "open" canister stoves, it is problematic in windy conditions. No piezo-e starter, either. The Jetboil is very wind resistant, and the Jetboil's piezo-e starter works well.