Avoid outfitters?

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Wow that's amazing, I kind of wonder how his clients feel when there are people walking straight through "their" camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's public land hunt where you please. You're a tax payer and have ownership in that land. Outfitters with permits on Federal lands pay a fee, rather modest one compared to having to lease private property, for the "priviledge", not right, to conduct a commercial business on public land. Some (too many) are a bit possessive of their area and feel/or act like they are entitled to exclusive use. You can hear many stories of public hunters suffering bullying or harassment by some of these characters. Designated trail going through a permitted commercial outfitters camp? Can't imagine that happening. If this does so exist that's a problem with the administration of the permit by whatever agency is responsible. Should not happen. Contact the permit administrator and bring it to their attention. I speak from experience as I administered commercial outfitting permits on National Forest System lands in Wyoming for 28 years before retiring.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Interesting. .cause I've personally seen outfitters forced to have their camps right on a trail here in national forest of Wyoming. .and they don't get a choice..that's where they were told their camp could be by the good ol forest service

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Like I said. He seems really nice. It's just a little embarrassing walking through, as I don't like to infringe as this is how he makes his living

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at an outfitter putting his camp on the main trail in an effort to keep others out of the area. Why would he want his clients to see other people hunting in the same area for free when they paid him lots of money.
While I think the majority of outfitters are good people I have interacted with a few unsavory characters in the mix as well, they were downright hostile that we were going into "their" area on National Forest land.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at an outfitter putting his camp on the main trail in an effort to keep others out of the area. Why would he want his clients to see other people hunting in the same area for free when they paid him lots of money.
While I think the majority of outfitters are good people I have interacted with a few unsavory characters in the mix as well, they were downright hostile that we were going into "their" area on National Forest land.
In every state I've worked in, outfitters have ZERO say in where their camp sits. .they are shown and told by forest service, and trying to be able to move it to more suitable location, is a royal pain in the ass. So don't necessarily blame the outfitters for their "camp" location. I guarantee you most outfitters would prefer to not be on a main trail as well, but many have no choice in the matter

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I guess it's working with the forest service that has helped us out so much in the past few years. We have been able to suggest where we would like the camp after obtaining knew permits and they have gone up with us and decided if they were suitable or not. Maybe this guy is a pain to work with so they are somewhat doing it this way. Yes we are told camp goes here, tent goes here, second tent here, fire pit there and that's end of story. But we have had a few camps moved from one spot to another based on accessibility, water sources and being a little further off the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine any FS permit administrator assigning a reserved camp spot for a commercial operation that has a designated FS trail through the middle. The idea is to reduce or avoid any potential conflicts with the public. What NF has this situation? Hopefully not on the Bridger-Teton NF where I worked. If the issue of such a trail exists there has to be some not normal situation such as topography, etc. Even in that case an effort would be made for the FS trail to detour around the camp, not through the middle. As far a changing camp locations, etc. that is usually put on a schedule to comply with the Greater Yellowstone Outfitters Policy or as its referred to as the "Packer Policy". Yes, the best times to make changes on an existing permit is at the time when the business is sold to a new owner and the changes are made before a permit is issued to the new owner.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I have been in a camp where a outfitter definitely was shall we say possessive over "his land."
As well as been a diy'er where an outfitter tried to bully me off "his land."
But every other outfitter I dealt with were good people. There are a few bad apples. But don't
Let them bully you. You have every right to be there. They don't own the land or the game.
But if it was me I'd find a spot away from them. Like further back, or come in the back side
So they push game to you....

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
When we started hunting an area in Wyoming 10 years ago, we contacted the outfitter to find out where he hunted and also about packing out animals. He's been a great asset and the main reason at almost 60 years old I can continue to DIY for elk. We've also talked to a couple other outfitters in Wyoming and all have been great with information and willing to assist. And the more you get to know them, the more they trust you and share tidbits which for an out-of-state hunter is truly priceless.