Avoid outfitters?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
My question is....Should I try to avoid the outfitters in the unit I'm hunting and find other areas?

My group is going to be hunting a unit with a lot of tags for both mule deer and elk so there's quite a few people out there hunting. Based on my experience in the unit last year, scouting and Google earth I have picked out the area I want to hunt, but it sounds like the outfitters in the unit hunt the same area. I don't know this for sure, but it's very likely. Should I try to find a different area? Or stick to my plan and hunt what I think looks like some of the best area in the unit even thought the outfitters are in that area also?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Just so you know I shot my cow up the same drainage with outfitter and as many as 4 other hunters. Sometimes it's a good thing, cause they sure know where the animals are. But I'm like you I prefer having the place to myself. First time I've ever hunted around so much traffic.

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
I have contacted outfitters in the past to ask where their camps will be so I can avoid them. Some are cool and some are dicks. If the outfitter is cool then I try to avoid the area even if it's one of my top choice areas. If he is a dick I will camp right next to him and hunt where I want whether they are hunting there or not if that's where I want to hunt.

Regards, Branden

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most outfitters will not hunt right where they are camping but either ride or hike into the area that they plan to hunt. But they won't be too far from it.

Some outfitters may get pissed off just for the reason that they have put a lot of work into finding the area that they want to hunt so that their clients will be successful and with other hunters in the area their success rate may go down, you never know. Others don't care and welcome the extra people in the area to get the animals moving or to push them towards the area that they are hunting.

If it was me and I had scouted the area and wanted to hunt it and it was public land I would hunt it. Who knows you might get lucky and drop a animal where it would be a rough pack out and you might make friends with the outfitter and hire him to pack out your game.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Most outfitters will not hunt right where they are camping but either ride or hike into the area that they plan to hunt. But they won't be too far from it.

Some outfitters may get pissed off just for the reason that they have put a lot of work into finding the area that they want to hunt so that their clients will be successful and with other hunters in the area their success rate may go down, you never know. Others don't care and welcome the extra people in the area to get the animals moving or to push them towards the area that they are hunting.

If it was me and I had scouted the area and wanted to hunt it and it was public land I would hunt it. Who knows you might get lucky and drop a animal where it would be a rough pack out and you might make friends with the outfitter and hire him to pack out your game.
Agree with Jim. Cause this is exactly what I was thinking. I thought I might need help packing out. The guide I talked to was a good guy and we shared info in order to basically avoided stepping on each others toes. Good luck!

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
I try to not crowd other hunters, outfitters or not, just as common courtesy and hope they do the same for me. Having said that I don't see any reason for you not to hunt the same general area. I would call them up and coordinate. Last time I called a outfitter for possible guide service he spent a hour telling me places to do a DIY hunt so they're not all territorial.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Never hurts to call an outfitter some are very friendly and prefer people to let them know where they are hunting. We have enough camps if we know an area may be over crowded we put our guys else where it makes it better for our clients as well as the herds and you guys as hunters. Ur in there and I drop 4 guys on top of you it's gonna get my clients a little riled and you guys may as well with that many hunters in one area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I try to not crowd other hunters, outfitters or not, just as common courtesy and hope they do the same for me. Having said that I don't see any reason for you not to hunt the same general area. I would call them up and coordinate. Last time I called a outfitter for possible guide service he spent a hour telling me places to do a DIY hunt so they're not all territorial.

yep that is great advise.if you have the chance ,ask em what they plan to do an tell em were you plan to hunt . work with em if possible

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thanks for all the responses. I'll give the outfitters a call. I'm kind of surprised, but very glad to hear that's what most of you suggest. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that they wouldn't be real open to that kind of call.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I have contacted outfitters in the past to ask where their camps will be so I can avoid them. Some are cool and some are dicks. If the outfitter is cool then I try to avoid the area even if it's one of my top choice areas. If he is a dick I will camp right next to him and hunt where I want whether they are hunting there or not if that's where I want to hunt.

Regards, Branden
Hahaha I love it! I have had the same situation. Most have been nice and I try to steer clear of them. But not in Wyoming. In my preferred unit there are three that set up massive base camps right at the trailheads. One has 4 unleashed dogs patrolling 24/7. These guys piss me off. Next time I draw they are going to have to deal with me walking through their camp daily. Or occasionally if I backpack in.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Hahaha I love it! I have had the same situation. Most have been nice and I try to steer clear of them. But not in Wyoming. In my preferred unit there are three that set up massive base camps right at the trailheads. One has 4 unleashed dogs patrolling 24/7. These guys piss me off. Next time I draw they are going to have to deal with me walking through their camp daily. Or occasionally if I backpack in.
Those unleashed dogs could easily be mistaken for coyotes.:mad:

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
I drew a good elk tag partners with my brother last year. Only 7 bull tags for the whole unit. I talked to a few of the other hunters also. At least 4 of the tag holders were going diy. The entire wilderness portion of the unit is great elk hunting. I called the outfitter since there are 5 good places to camp with springs etc and so my brother and I would be hunting an area without other hunters. The outfitter told me he was going to have hunters at every camp/spring and to hunt outside the wilderness. Thats what pisses me off and thats when I hunt the best drainage in the area even though he has camps hunting it.

Most are really nice and want the DIY guy to be successful also. But some are dicks and that doesn't help their clients either.

Regards, Branden

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
There's an outfitter camp where I hunt as well. The camp is right in the trail. No way around it either. I just walk right on through. I know they have to pay for the land use permit, but still, it's federal land. I figure my tax dollars are just as good as anyone elses.

SunnyInCO

Oct 20, 2015
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
There's an outfitter camp where I hunt as well. The camp is right in the trail. No way around it either. I just walk right on through.
A lot of different ways to look at a camp right in the middle of a trail but one of them is what we mountain bikers subscribe to which is ride through the puddle on the trail, do not ride around it. It is better to maintain one trail vs a bunch of unauthorized trails. What I mean is you not only have every right but also you are being a better steward of the land to stay on the trail.

Whistling as you walk through while everyone is sleeping may just need to happen also.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Wow can't believe they have a camp on the trail. Not sure what that's all about personally we prefer to have all our camps off the trail in the woods a little bit so they are 1 out of the way 2 somewhat hidden 3 more of a private setting for our clients and 4 it keeps people from snooping around them when we aren't there. I have never worked for an outfit who's permits allowed them to set up right off a major trail. Are you sure it's an outfitter camp? Just cause it's a wall tent and all that doesn't make it an outfitter. We have people that lease horses from another source and then pack their own gear in to their spot. We get calls somewhat often about how rude or messy "our hunters" we're at this spot. Wasn't our guys though was a personal hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Yes, he's definitely an outfitter. Got tents on both sides of the trail. I guess I don't mind as he does seem pretty nice and treats us nice. We don't see him often as they don't leave camp till 6:00 and we'll already long through by then. Mostly coming out is when we see them