Are grizzlies affecting peoples decisions?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Anybody want some stories on tent camping in Montana in November,,, I've thaw'd from last years hunt to discuss. :)

I don't really know what to make of it. We went to the Snowcrests last year. Stayed in a lodge and hiked every day, so we didn't sleep out. I frankly can't imagine sleeping out in Montana in November anyway. We hunted in pairs, had RINO's for communication, and had a horse packer lined up. Bought a Glock 10mm and carried it the first day, decided that was three pounds I didn't need to hump over the hills. Talked to a few others who'd seen bears, we saw some scat ourselves.

For us, on that trip, knowing they were out there made me feel like we were more invested, more alive. Looking at it now, we had prepared differently for it. I would definitely take the word of people who have had experience more than mine. I'm just saying what we did that was different. Would I go back? Hell yes.

As an aside, one day I came around a bend and found the biggest meanest looking hereford bull I've seen, and I have seen a few. Drop horns, ear tag, 2000 lbs if he was an ounce. I figured they left him til last, and planned to maybe get some cake and go back and load him up on his own terms. But then again, he might just be a bull that stays out all year. I've often wondered his story and how it ends.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I hate to admit this, but it is kind of a rush. Being smart, being prepared and of course just doing a good job of keeping a REALLY clean camp makes it fun.
I have to agree that it can be fun.
Also, there have been Grizzlies in Alaska and Canada for years and folks hunt there all the time.
I hunted for a few years in Alaska and didn't have any issues. Just be aware, keep a clean camp, carry bear spray or a weapon, etc. It seems like some folks are being overly cautious around grizzlies in the lower 48 ... or are there a higher rate of attacks down here?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that one of the problems with grizzley's down in the lower 48 is that they have never been hunted like they are up in Alaska and Canada and so they have zero fear of man. They have come to learn that a gunshot usually equals food of one type or another. Granted they have learned this also in areas up north.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think that one of the problems with grizzley's down in the lower 48 is that they have never been hunted like they are up in Alaska and Canada and so they have zero fear of man. They have come to learn that a gunshot usually equals food of one type or another. Granted they have learned this also in areas up north.
Yeah good point, that's a big difference.

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
Lots of difference between being a rifle hunter out later in the year, and an archery hunter in September. Vegetation is down, easier to see, snow for tracking and seeing/determining what else is out there, you're not sneaking around and calling so much, you're carrying and ready to use a rifle. I'd approach things much differently over the two different seasons, even in the same country. I'm sure most do.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
HUNT0352.jpgHUNT0225 (2).jpgHUNT0209 (2).jpg

badgers, packrats, coons, etc dig under the decks on the house, but usually its grizzlies.

we varmint call around the house and the valley every night, when grizz comes in, and it's 5 or 6 times week that they are first ones in, we stand up let them know we are people.
They run as soon as they realize it. the ones that do not run get a load of rubber buckshot and rubber slugs, or bean bag markers until they do run.
this is considered illegal and harassing wildlife I am told.
So be it, I live where grizz, lions and wolves are in my driveway and we live here on purpose, If I didn't like them around I'd live in Cleveland....but they will know their place in my yard, I have been given dominion over the animals, not the other way around.

anyone that avoids grizzlies because the bears don't fear them enough is not helping the problem one little bit. get out there coyote calling and make your first loads rubber, last ones lead, educate them so when they hit man scent, they go the other side of the divide and fast!

Millsworks

Nov 23, 2017
Augusta, West Virginia
I bivy camped eight out of 22 days in Northwestern Wyoming this past October. One night without even a tent.
Never had a problem with bears.
I did see lots of sighn in a few areas, but I personally feel as long as you keep a clean sleeping area the bears have little interest in human contact.
Bears won't stop me from being where I want to be.
Yes ,I camped and hunted alone except in base camp where I had friends meet me for the last 9 days of my hunt.

spotnstalk1

Mar 7, 2011
www.facebook.com
I noticed a trend of a few units that have had grizzly encounters appear to possibly have less people drawing for them year after year.
Which units specifically? ;) I have 8 elk points, I have applied for "grizzly" units for a few years and have had no luck. In fact, it seems most units are point creeping. Just when I think i'll draw a tag, the minimum increases. I want to draw a great elk tag more than I don't want to hunt around grizzlies. I'm an archery hunter but like the idea of drawing a type 1, with the option to go back on a rifle hunt if I don't kill archery. It seems like most units that would have maybe 330"+ potential are either across the valley in the Bighorns (not many grizzlies I'm told?) or they are mostly wilderness areas, which presents a problem for me as a non-resident, DIY hunter.

Am I missing a unit that's in grizzly country without majority of the good hunting in wilderness that I could draw with 8 points??

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
Which units specifically? ;) I have 8 elk points, I have applied for "grizzly" units for a few years and have had no luck. In fact, it seems most units are point creeping. Just when I think i'll draw a tag, the minimum increases. I want to draw a great elk tag more than I don't want to hunt around grizzlies. I'm an archery hunter but like the idea of drawing a type 1, with the option to go back on a rifle hunt if I don't kill archery. It seems like most units that would have maybe 330"+ potential are either across the valley in the Bighorns (not many grizzlies I'm told?) or they are mostly wilderness areas, which presents a problem for me as a non-resident, DIY hunter.

Am I missing a unit that's in grizzly country without majority of the good hunting in wilderness that I could draw with 8 points??
HA HA HA!

I'd kill myself if I had to live east of the archway, or west of the divide for that matter.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
I think you just need to bring more bullets if you are hunting in grizzly bear country, any bear closer than 200 yards should be considered charging and dont waist your bullets for warning shots.
Presence of grizzly bears will never stop me from hunting or packing meat out, maybe because I never had any problems with them.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
for those of us who spend more than a week in grizz country, you very seldom can see 200 yards, not fishing, grouse hunting, trapping etc. When you see a bear you hope it's 50 feet away and not 5, that's the reality of living in bear country.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I think you just need to bring more bullets if you are hunting in grizzly bear country, any bear closer than 200 yards should be considered charging and dont waist your bullets for warning shots.
Presence of grizzly bears will never stop me from hunting or packing meat out, maybe because I never had any problems with them.
You may end up with some interesting legal issues if you come to Alaska!

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
for those of us who spend more than a week in grizz country, you very seldom can see 200 yards, not fishing, grouse hunting, trapping etc. When you see a bear you hope it's 50 feet away and not 5, that's the reality of living in bear country.
In some areas you can see much farther than 50 yards, especially in burned area and clearcuts. I've been close to bears many times, honestly 50 yards is nothing if they charge in full speed, they are so fast and they are not making any noise when they are running. The only time when you can hear them is when they are feeding. Experienced partner with spray and gun is probably the best you can bring to feel more safe.

Nov 29, 2016
I personally would not hunt in a heavy populated grizz area alone!!! And kinda disappointed I didn?t see anything in the 2018 app book about some kind of grizz hunt happening yet!! I was thinking there would be a draw for them this year since the delisting but not looking like it.

hntnnut

Feb 9, 2015
Curious question for those that hunt deer in grizzly country. Does hunting in grizzly country affect your cartridge choice?

Richard

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Curious question for those that hunt deer in grizzly country. Does hunting in grizzly country affect your cartridge choice?

Richard
Good question. Any of my .300 variety will work well for just about all NA game including the predators if it were necessary.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Wait - I thought they kept all the Griz in the wilderness areas and that was the reason for the Guide Only for NR in Wilderness areas rule - safety for visitors!??

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Most good moose areas in Wyoming don't have grizzly bears in them. If they do its very little at all and the moose usually don't hang around the same areas as the grizzlies. Now some of the lesser known areas for moose DO have grizzlies but doubt you will run into many where the moose hang out. Them moose arent as stupid as we all sometimes think they are. As for me, i have hunted areas with grizz, maybe seen a track or 2 but never ran into any. Ran into plenty of black bear which tells me there weren't alot of grizz around because they will kill or run off the Black bears. But i know alot of people shy away from areas with grizzly or wolves, not me. If i have a tag for that area, im hunting it. I always tell my friends that if i die on the mountains it will be doing something i like and not in a nursing home or hit by a car in town crossing the street.