Are grizzlies affecting peoples decisions?

Blackdawg

Dec 25, 2014
An interesting couple of entries from days past on Grizzlies from the journals of two fellas up on a river in Montana :

#1 (Captain Lewis, 12 May 1805)
Captain Lewis, 12in to of the rear canoes discovered a large brown bear lying in the open grounds about 300 paces from the river, and six of them went out to attack him -all good hunters. They took the advantage of a small eminence which concealed them, and got within 40 paces of Bear's oil was a much used edible fat for many years. The Cherokees liked the oil of the black bear-of which a single animal might yield 15 gallons. Oil from Plains grizzlies was sold in New Orleans for many years. Indians sometimes flavored bear's oil with sassafras. An eighteenth-century white traveler remarks that it was "sweet and wholesome" and never cloyed the palate him, unperceived. Two of them reserved their fires as had been previously concerted; the four others fired nearly at the same time, and put each his bullet through him. Two of the balls passed through the bulk of both lobes of his lungs.

In an instant, this monster ran at them with open mouth. The two who had reserved their fires discharged their pieces at him as he came toward them. Both of them struck him-one only slightly, and the other, fortunately, broke his shoulder. This, however, only retarded his motion for a moment. The men, unable to reload their guns, took to flight. The bear pursued, and had very nearly overtaken them before they reached the river. Two of the party betook themselves to a canoe, and the others separated and concealed them selves among the willows, [and] reloaded their pieces; each discharged his piece at him as they had an opportunity. They struck him several times again, but the guns served only to direct the bear to them. In this manner he pursued two of them, separately, so dose that they were obliged to throw away their guns and pouches, and throw themselves into the river, although the bank was nearly twenty feet perpendicular. So enraged was this animal that he plunged into the river only a few feet behind the second man he had compelled to take refuge in the water.
When one of those who still remained on shore shot him through the head and finally killed him, they then took him on shore and butchered him, when they found eight balls had passed through him in different directions.)

#2 Game becoming more abundant this morning, I thought it best now to lose no time or suffer an opportunity to escape in providing the necessary quantity of elk skins to cover my leather boat, which I now expect I shall be obliged to use shortly. Accordingly, I walked on shore most of the day with some of the hunters for that purpose, and killed 6 elk, 2 buffalo, 2 mule deer, and a bear. These animals were all in good order. We therefore took as much of the meat as our canoes and pirogues could conveniently carry.

The bear was very near catching Drouilliard. It also pursued Charbonneau,who fired his gun in the air as he ran but fortunately eluded the vigilance of the bear, by secreting himself very securely in the bushes, until Drouilliard finally killed it by a shot in the head--the only shot, indeed, that will conquer the ferocity of those tremendous animals.

Captain Lewis, 2 June 1805

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
An interesting couple of entries from days past on Grizzlies from the journals of two fellas up on a river in Montana :

#1 (Captain Lewis, 12 May 1805)
Captain Lewis, 12in to of the rear canoes discovered a large brown bear lying in the open grounds about 300 paces from the river, and six of them went out to attack him -all good hunters. They took the advantage of a small eminence which concealed them, and got within 40 paces of Bear's oil was a much used edible fat for many years. The Cherokees liked the oil of the black bear-of which a single animal might yield 15 gallons. Oil from Plains grizzlies was sold in New Orleans for many years. Indians sometimes flavored bear's oil with sassafras. An eighteenth-century white traveler remarks that it was "sweet and wholesome" and never cloyed the palate him, unperceived. Two of them reserved their fires as had been previously concerted; the four others fired nearly at the same time, and put each his bullet through him. Two of the balls passed through the bulk of both lobes of his lungs.

In an instant, this monster ran at them with open mouth. The two who had reserved their fires discharged their pieces at him as he came toward them. Both of them struck him-one only slightly, and the other, fortunately, broke his shoulder. This, however, only retarded his motion for a moment. The men, unable to reload their guns, took to flight. The bear pursued, and had very nearly overtaken them before they reached the river. Two of the party betook themselves to a canoe, and the others separated and concealed them selves among the willows, [and] reloaded their pieces; each discharged his piece at him as they had an opportunity. They struck him several times again, but the guns served only to direct the bear to them. In this manner he pursued two of them, separately, so dose that they were obliged to throw away their guns and pouches, and throw themselves into the river, although the bank was nearly twenty feet perpendicular. So enraged was this animal that he plunged into the river only a few feet behind the second man he had compelled to take refuge in the water.
When one of those who still remained on shore shot him through the head and finally killed him, they then took him on shore and butchered him, when they found eight balls had passed through him in different directions.)

#2 Game becoming more abundant this morning, I thought it best now to lose no time or suffer an opportunity to escape in providing the necessary quantity of elk skins to cover my leather boat, which I now expect I shall be obliged to use shortly. Accordingly, I walked on shore most of the day with some of the hunters for that purpose, and killed 6 elk, 2 buffalo, 2 mule deer, and a bear. These animals were all in good order. We therefore took as much of the meat as our canoes and pirogues could conveniently carry.

The bear was very near catching Drouilliard. It also pursued Charbonneau,who fired his gun in the air as he ran but fortunately eluded the vigilance of the bear, by secreting himself very securely in the bushes, until Drouilliard finally killed it by a shot in the head--the only shot, indeed, that will conquer the ferocity of those tremendous animals.

Captain Lewis, 2 June 1805
Very cool post, and story! Thanks!

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Very good friend of mine live in Fairbanks, AK for a few years. Her and boyfriend camped often, and carried two things with them on every trip:

1. Bear Spray
2. Remington 870 loaded with slugs

Fortunately then never had to use either option.

That story is scary stuff...

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I would carry two cans of bear spray and leave that "jam-master" at home..

The BLM carries those 870's in AK. I had to qualify with them years ago. Almost every gun they had would jam about every other shot. Pretty much on par for every 870 I ever shot in my life. lol

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would carry two cans of bear spray and leave that "jam-master" at home..

The BLM carries those 870's in AK. I had to qualify with them years ago. Almost every gun they had would jam about every other shot. Pretty much on par for every 870 I ever shot in my life. lol
I've been shooting 870's for 40 years and have never had a problem with jamming. Their Armorer must not be cleaning them good, especially the chamber.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I've been shooting 870's for 40 years and have never had a problem with jamming. Their Armorer must not be cleaning them good, especially the chamber.
An 870 was my 1st shotgun, it was a Christmas present when I was 13. I'm 36 now and not a single jam ever and I promise when I was in my teens I never cleaned my guns. Those 870's are like AK's they are just reliable.

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
As a DIY hunter I want to have fun and be able to sleep and hunt on the move and not pack in everywhere a bear fence, bear spray and a 10mm. If I was going with an outfitter I would not worry about the bears. As a bow hunter we have enough to focus on. Therefore I don't hunt in Grizzly county where the elk call can be a dinner bell.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
An 870 was my 1st shotgun, it was a Christmas present when I was 13. I'm 36 now and not a single jam ever and I promise when I was in my teens I never cleaned my guns. Those 870's are like AK's they are just reliable.
My brother shot an 870 for years...never jammed once. My 1100...it was a jamming machine! I cleaned it religiously and wiped the rings down dry as was the recommendation back then (80's and 90's). It would jam after third shot of the day, effectively becoming a single shot.

Almost threw it in the marsh. Gave to my buddy who worked for Cabela's and said, "See if someone there can fix this...if not, I never want to see this gun again!"

He brought it back to me later, saying their gunsmith recommended lots and lots of Teflon based lubricants (Rem Oil). Never WD-40, as it attracts dirt. Spray down, and leave it almost dripping wet. The gas rings were getting gummed up with powder residue. Causing gun to jam.

I did as instructed, and that gun never missed a shot from that moment forward. Heck, even dropped in the marsh, totally submerged....and it never missed a beat!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Well, I see I am outgunned here on my hated for Remington shotguns.

I'm glad you guys have had good luck with them.

So I will just say to each his own and leave it at that! lol

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I've owned a 870 and 1100 for over 30 years- the old Remington's always performed well for me. I don't ever remember a jam in either gun. The 870 is a tack driver with slugs-it has killed many Whitetails out to 152 yards(nice 8 point thru the heart).

Now the newer ones.....we can debate how good they are.:D

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Unless I'm bird hunting in grizzly country, I'm not lugging around a shotgun. But if I had to defend against a bear, the 870 would be on the short list. A big old rifled slug is just devastating. I suppose if the opportunity arises to hunt in grizzly country, and I hope it does, I will have my primary rifle and my .44 mag Ruger loaded with the biggest hard cast bullets I can find. That and a little common sense, precaution and some bear spray should do.