April 7...Decision Day

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Colorado is actually quite easy. People make it more complicated than it really is. But I do agree that they need help on their web design and site.

So to make it simple if you are putting in for a draw:

If your first choice is drawn then you loose all your PP for that species
If you don't draw your first choice but draw your second, third, or fourth you will get 1 point along with your tag and no preference points are used and you don't loose any that you had.

Don't get Colorado's preference point system confused with bonus points that a lot of other states use. If your research says that your unit and animal takes 10 preference points then you better have 10 or more preference points to even hope to draw that tag. Unlike other states that use bonus points and anyone can draw, even applicants with zero points over those with 20 points.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
i got my colorado put in at last day//rollins the dice on this corona thing and am tryin for deer and elk that both need a few more points than i have,,,1 deer and 0 elk,,either might get lucky or might just get points if im wrong.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I put in for muzzy elk this year as my first choice. 1st rifle elk as second... lets see what happens. Good luck to all.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Hey Bones...
Maybe we're talking past each other, but I don't think what you're saying is the way it works here in Colorado,.
If you put the area you want 1st choice and do not draw, you get a preference point. The PP isn't your 2nd choice … it's just a PP.
Then you still have a chance to draw your 2nd choice.

I do that for deer every year.
I put in for a tough to draw unit as my 1st choice and an easy to draw unit as my 2nd choice.
When I don't get my 1st choice I get a PP, then they also give me my 2nd choice tag.
Gotcha! I guess I could have tried for my 1st choice area instead of a PP, but the odds of drawing it are slim so I simply went direct with the PP.
I guess I could have gambled, but the odds are very very low. Guess it would have been a better option though even as slim as it is. I have a good change of drawing my 2nd choice. But there are no guarantees...
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gotcha! I guess I could have tried for my 1st choice area instead of a PP, but the odds of drawing it are slim so I simply went direct with the PP.
I guess I could have gambled, but the odds are very very low. Guess it would have been a better option though even as slim as it is. I have a good change of drawing my 2nd choice. But there are no guarantees...
Thank you sir!
You're welcome. (y)
It sounds like what you did was the best thing for you .
I just wanted you to know there's a different way that works pretty well, in case you want to try it in the future.
Good luck in the draw!

Reactions: Bonecollector

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Comment on the Colorado draw process. My first year of applying I found it far more confusing than all the years I hunted in Arizona as a resident. But, as JimP commented, it actually is pretty straight forward. However, I have to explain and help my uncle with the Colorado draw apps every year...haha.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
It's not too bad once you get used to it, but I agree it can be confusing at first.
My very first year I applied for both Bighorn and Desert Sheep … I missed the part about that not being allowed.
They threw out both of my applications and I did not get a Bighorn Pref Point.
Lesson learned.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Saw on another forum that preliminary reports are showing Colorado apps are up once again.(BIG shock!) I guess everyone being government ordered to stay at home had plenty time to put in. Or could it have been that everyone banked on getting that tag that they were three points away from because the china flu had the other potential applicants going point only? If this keeps up some people mite be getting the wrong idea that hunting has a pulse...

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
I decided to cash in my deer points for a 4th season. I know the dates next year will be even better, but my thought was the mature bucks may take a hit this year with the season being later than before, plus you never know what next winter will be like in the area. Not going to accumulate that many points again for sure (22 NR points). Also applied for an elk tag that I don't have half the points needed, but thought I'd try instead of just applying for PP as my 1st choice because I'm thinking application numbers will be down this year. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Saw on another forum that preliminary reports are showing Colorado apps are up once again.(BIG shock!) I guess everyone being government ordered to stay at home had plenty time to put in. Or could it have been that everyone banked on getting that tag that they were three points away from because the china flu had the other potential applicants going point only? If this keeps up some people mite be getting the wrong idea that hunting has a pulse...
Can you give a reference for the "preliminary reports" ? Id be interested to read about that. Thanks

2019 total big game applications Colorado was 587,450. That number came out Jan 6, 2020

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any way to find out where that came from ? Can you find out ?
I'm pretty sure 587,450 for 2019 was the official CPW number published. I see they have a different number for 2019.

To me it would make sense it went up as the " up front " money went down considerably to apply.....and a lot of people cashing in points because they didn't like having to buy a eligible qualifying license. Lastly the secondary draw this year vice leftover list implemented makes that nearly guaranteed meat tag, not a guarantee any more. Oh well.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any way to find out where that came from ? Can you find out ?
I'm pretty sure 587,450 for 2019 was the official CPW number published. I see they have a different number for 2019.

To me it would make sense it went up as the " up front " money went down considerably to apply.
Disregard found it. Steamboat Springs CPW Facebook page.
Interesting to say the least they would put that out before the main CPW office does.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I just found it on the bowsite forum. Didn't surprise me in the least that apps went up. They go up every year don't they? Especially with literally hundreds of posts from people drooling thinking they were gona jump a few points to their dream tag with EVERYONE STAYING OUT BECAUSE of CHINA VIRUS. I figure that for the most part 2020 point requirements will be close to the 2019 level. Maybe im wrong but not surprised.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
A 40,000 application increase in 1 year. Holy Moly! That explains the point creep.

That is probably reflected in other states as well. So much for hunter numbers decreasing in the western states...

Reactions: mallardsx2