Any tips or tricks to replacing stuck blades in an outdoor edge knife?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have a replaceable blade outdoor edge knife for about 5 years. It has cut up a fair amount of animals, the last few times i have noticed that it is getting harder to replace the blade. I am guessing dried up blood ect. Now i can not remove the blade. Any tips or tricks. I have cleaned it, but I am thinking the release mech is just not releasing.

Thanks tim

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree with CC and Winchester.

Soak it in some hot water and then once the blade comes off a little bit of WD onto the contact areas.

I have a friend who has one and never cleans it, the knife would be a proper prop for a Halloween movie. He usually uses a Leatherman to get the blade off of the frame.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
kid

you are absolutely correct.

jimp
been using a leatherman for a while now on it. probably time for a new one.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's a hard thing to remember to do but I clean mine fairly soon after using it. Before I put it away I'll wipe it down and will usually take it apart when I have time and get all the dried up blood off of it. I have even resorted to using tooth picks or twigs to scrape it out of the crevices.

On Kids idea of it being disposable, I learned from my dad that if it is even just a cheap piece of equipment that if you take care of it it will last a very long time. But then my dad lived through the depression and never did have that much, but what he did have he took very good care of it.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I own hundreds of knives but my go to is still my oldtimer 50t.I have no idea how many deer and elk and coyotes I have skinned with it .have cut open thousands of hay bales over the years . pretty much never go anywhere without it for the past 30 years and while a lil worn it is still in great shape.

no idea what I paid for it when new but doubt it was over 50 bucks

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Quite honestly I’ve never owned an expensive knifQuite honestly I’ve never owned an expensive knife but I see a lot of them posted an advertisement that looked really cool that it picked my interest. However I’ve been using the outdoor edge replaceable for the past 4–5 years and I’ve not been disappointed. Just recently I gutted and cut up for antelope with a single blade and never touched it up. When I got back I ran it through the sharpener five or six times and then proceeded to the bone several the envelope before I needed to change the blade. Blades are very inexpensive and easy to change and they did not break like the Havalon knife blades.
It also has a rubber grip handle which makes it nice when your hands are cold or covered in blood cells to keep your grip. I figure it’ll make it another year or two before I may need to replace it

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Quite honestly I’ve never owned an expensive knifQuite honestly I’ve never owned an expensive knife but I see a lot of them posted an advertisement that looked really cool that it picked my interest. However I’ve been using the outdoor edge replaceable for the past 4–5 years and I’ve not been disappointed. Just recently I gutted and cut up for antelope with a single blade and never touched it up. When I got back I ran it through the sharpener five or six times and then proceeded to the bone several the envelope before I needed to change the blade. Blades are very inexpensive and easy to change and they did not break like the Havalon knife blades.
It also has a rubber grip handle which makes it nice when your hands are cold or covered in blood cells to keep your grip. I figure it’ll make it another year or two before I may need to replace it
The only problem I've had is carrying the replacement blades is a pain in the butt. I do carry them in the field and a few blades. I also keep any dull blades and take them with for disposal later. I never buy a knife without looking at it first. I usually buy mine at a gun show as there are usually a number of knife sellers there.

Reactions: Bonecollector

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Boil it in a pot of hot water. Thats what I do. I have a basket on the bottom of the pot to keep the plastic handles from melting.....

Dont ask....

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I actually chucked it and pulled out the stone and good knifes. It got to the point Iwas not hurting my self over a $30 tool that I have gotten a good life out of. When i broke down a bull and caped it with one blade and did not have to touch the blade up, I was impressed.

I do have an extra outdoor edge knife(no case, i saved the other case). Actually got lots of knifes. lol

Reactions: marcusvdk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
As you guys can imagine, we use ours here pretty regularly. I dare say that most of you here probably have an Eastmans' logo on those knives...

Mine aways get a good rinse in hot water to deal with the fat and then straight to the diswaser. If the blades are grimed in fairly well then it I use a pliers or leatherman type of tool to get it out.