Alternate Venison Roast usage

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Ok guys with season fast approaching i threw another roast in the crock pot the other day and upon eating it (which was good) i thought, dam i have like 15 roasts left from last year and im going to sick of them before season gets here! Does anyone have any other uses for a roast than either jerkey or a crock pot? I dont care if they stay whole or cubed up or anything! Theres gotta be more to life than crock pot roasts! Ok a little sarcasm there. Any help? Thanks. Luke

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I like to make a stew out of them ...and elk too.

2# venison, elk or antelope
3 large potatoes
5 or 6 carrots
5 or 6 celery stalks
1 whole onion
2 pkgs beef mushroom gravy mix
garlic cloves (to your taste, I use 4)

Chop onion and garlic and brown with veggie oil in frying pan. Pour into a med pressure cooker. Cube meat into 1 to 1 1/2" pieces; dredge in flour seasoned with salt & pepper, brown in the same oil and pan used for onion and pour into pressure cooker. peel cube potatoes, peel and slice carrots, slice celery and pour all into pressure cooker. Add the gravy mix and add water to about 1/2 full. Stir until mixed.Close cooker and heat to pressure. Cook for 15 minutes and let cool off burner until you can open it.

That's it. You can add other veggies and seasonings you like also.

Reactions: mustang8

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Cook them in some V8, that will liven them up a little and for a little bit more spice use Spicy V8

I cooked up some deer rounds the other night that I had pounded with flour and then cooked them in enough V8 to cover them in a sauce pan. They came out great.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
So just grind them?
slice thin ( maybe 1/8-1/4 inch) across the grain
marinate in
1/4 cup oil
1cup orange juice
2 TSP chilli powder more if you so choose
1/4 tea spoon cumin ( more if you like )
1 TSP crushed garlic
1 tea spoon salt or Tajin ( its the Mexican seasoning for michelada's)
1/2 onion chopped
the stems from a bunch of cilantro chopped fine ( save the tops for the tacos )
1 jalapeno diced
some lime juice and the zest of a lime

mix this all up and marinate over night grill over very hot coals try for medium rare
dice meat and serve on small tortillas with chopped onion and cilantro squeeze of lime maybe some good hot slasa

And an ice cold beer

I'm making this tonight ( kind of ) only a dry rub mix on cubed elk meat in my new cowboy wok that I got for fathers day I'll try to post pics if it doesn't disappear too fast

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I got rid of 3lbs of venison last year to rave reviews in about 5 minutes after serving by cubing into 3/4" cubes, then wrapping each cube in a half strip of bacon. Hold together with a toothpick. Grill (a vegetable grate helps but not required) until the bacon is pretty crispy. They go quick.

I like to marinate mine in a variety of things. I've done apple cider, various dry rubs... the bacon holds all that pretty well while grilling, and although I've always liked venison, for the squeamish "it tasty gamey!" crowd they never complain.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'll second the Pastrami, and another one that i'm really starting to like along with my kids is making ham. Even made a corned beef with a deer roast that turned out fantastic!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I used some smaller roasts to make Philly Grills (AKA Cheesesteak Sandwiches) for my wife last year, and it has become her favorite meal. I generally use backstrap or even tenderloin, but roasts work fine, just cut it into thin strips, season with Montreal Steak or similar, and fry in oil to med. rare. Stir fry the onions,and peppers at the same time in a different pan/wok. We use a pizza grill to melt the pepper cheese and toast the buns after all is put together. Don't forget the Au Juice. I think it is her favorite partially because I do all the work and don't leave much of a mess in the kitchen.

Last edited:

DU4LIFE25

Sep 24, 2015
Wisconsin
I've done quite a few corned venison roasts this year already. It's turned into one of our favorites because we can have so many different meals with it from reuben sandwiches to breakfast hash.

Reactions: sigpros

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Once in a while I’ll make chicken fried steak for the family. Slice less than 1/2” thick, dredge in flour, then egg wash then in fine cracker crumbs. Pan or deep fry. Serve with mashed potatoes and country gravy. We love it

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Agree with a lot of the above. I really like to smoke mine to medium rare, then slice for sandwiches. We really like to make jerky with ours, or cut into chunks and make a venison and potato stew. Philly cheesesteaks are awesome.
I'm a pretty big fan of beef burgundy, and often substitute venison into the recipe.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I’m going to have to make snake sticks or get some made. Kids have almost finished 70#.

stir fry
Enchiladas
Tacos
jerky will go fast

We grind a fair amount to make anything that requires burger 🍔

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Depending on the round they can make a good steak. If you have the top round roast its makes amazing steaks(london broil) .
We marinate them in zesty itailian fat free dressing for few hours. Then grill them and slice thin. Serve with season saute veg and potatoes or rice