Alaska Bound

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
Flying out to Fairbanks Sept 7th for a DIY moose/caribou hunt with 3 of my buddies. We will be renting some 4x4 truck campers. Most of our hunting will be close to the Yukon border. I have a buddy who lives in the area we will be hunting. He has been checking out the areas this summer and will be scouting more as the season nears. Black bear and wolves will be on the menu as well. Grizzly will be off limits since we are non-residents hunting w/o a guide.
Still not sure which gun I will bring. It is a toss up between my 300 WBY or my 270 WBY. Both are zeroed at 300 yds. The 300 is a Model 90 Sauer & Sohn, blued with wood stock and weighs 9.5 lbs. The 270 is a Mark V, stainless with a synthetic stock and weighs 8.5 lbs. Right now I am leaning more toward the stainless due to the possibility of lots of wet weather and harsh conditions.
My SS 44 Rem Mag revolver will definitely be making the trip.;)

Last edited:

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
bring the gun that can deal with the weather. you will probably get rained on sometime or all the time.
Sounds like good sound advice. (y)
I just wish my 300 was the gun that was more weather proof. I like the way it makes big animals go bang flop.
I bought the 270 years back primarily for whitetails ,muleys and antelope. I don't think it should have a problem handling Alaska.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Thousands of hunters have gone through Alaska and bad weather with good old wooden stocked and blued barrels and have done just fine. Just remember that if it gets wet to take care of it before a problem shows up.

Reactions: Hatchet Jack

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thousands of hunters have gone through Alaska and bad weather with good old wooden stocked and blued barrels and have done just fine. Just remember that if it gets wet to take care of it before a problem shows up.
I agree … I was one of them a few years ago.
I'd take that .300 because you like the way it makes big animals go bang flop.
Alaskan moose are most definitely big animals.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Good luck! I would definitely take the .300, although I love my .270 the .300 would be better for moose. I shot my moose with my .300 and it still took a couple well placed shots to put him down.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with moose is that they don't know when they are dead.

A friend hit one 4 times with a 375HH before he toppled over. All the shots were into the boiler room from 150 yards