Alaska Bound

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Thousands of hunters have gone through Alaska and bad weather with good old wooden stocked and blued barrels and have done just fine. Just remember that if it gets wet to take care of it before a problem shows up.
very true, I was one of them. that is why I would take the stainless, but use the gun you are most comfortable with. my buds moose was 2 shots with a 300wsm, mine was one shot with a 338 wm. it rained for days and I was not worried about my rifle one bit. bikini scope covers are a must though. it does not matter what rifle if you can not see thru the scope.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The rifle that I have for fowl weather is a Weatherby MkV with a fiberglass stock and stainless barrel. It survived 5 days straight of rain up in British Colombia and came out unscathed. But I still took care of it once we were back at camp and never did put it away for the night wet.

But then some don't know how to take care of a firearm when it gets wet, so stock swell, and barrels rust. They then wonder why their shot was a foot off of the mark when they pull the trigger.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
the funny thing is, when I lived up there, I had a blued rifle.
once I moved out, I won the ultimate Alaskan rifle, a stainless with a synthetic stock and 338 wm.

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
the funny thing is, when I lived up there, I had a blued rifle.
once I moved out, I won the ultimate Alaskan rifle, a stainless with a synthetic stock and 338 wm.
My caliber of choice was .340 Weatherby, but if I won it I'd take the .338 Wm

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
Starting to get packed. Got the blued/ wood stock .300 Wby rubbed down with 2 layers of Johnson's paste wax. Got the 180 grainers hitting three inches high at 100 yds and hitting just about zero at 300 yds. Got some hard cast Double Tap 320 grainers for my 44 Mag. Boy do they have some recoil. Ouch!
We fly out a week from today. Gunna be a long week at work for me.