A good book

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
So many good suggestions in here.. Since I started this thread, I've probably read about 40 of the books in here. I'm currently on book 11 in the Joe Pickett Series, I'm really enjoying it. The Road was great, but apparently, I'm too stupid for Blood Meridian. It' the only book I've ever read, that I just could not get into..
In addition to the books on this thread, I recently read The Stand, by Stephen King. It's an absolute must read. My favorite book ever.

laws yes, M O O N that spells great book.

if you liked"the stand" I would recommend"swan song" by robert r mcammon

another in the same tradition is called "FIRE" by Alan Rogers

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
for those who care about the foolishness of our government policies, read "the blue communism" by RAVEN J ALB

wether one agrees or not it is insightful

Peakbagger

Oct 12, 2016
Colorado
The best book I have read while hunting was Treasure Island.

On opening day I found a copy of the book setting on a log. Rain or snow had curled the pages a bit, but the ink was clear. I carried it in my pack for a day or two then finally had a long afternoon of glassing and started in on the first chapter. Every page seemed to pull me in and I nearly missed the nice buck walking through the aspens above me.

Old classic but quite the read to set the boyhood imagination to racing...

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
So many good suggestions in here.. Since I started this thread, I've probably read about 40 of the books in here. I'm currently on book 11 in the Joe Pickett Series, I'm really enjoying it. The Road was great, but apparently, I'm too stupid for Blood Meridian. It' the only book I've ever read, that I just could not get into..
In addition to the books on this thread, I recently read The Stand, by Stephen King. It's an absolute must read. My favorite book ever.
If you liked The Road, try The Crossing, and All the Pretty Horses, also by Cormac McCarthy. Neither was as good as The Road, but both good, gritty stories. Another great one is Traplines North. Don't know the author, and its hard to find, but a mostly true account of a trapping family living in northern Ontario.

HIcountryman

Nov 30, 2019
CO
Hunting books: a paperback copy of Eastman's "Hunting high country mule deer." I was given a copy of Alaska Bear Tales and promptly buried in the garage! I don't want to ever read that! I just finished Larry McMurtry's short bio of Crazy Horse. A good read. I have never taken a book backpack hunting: saving my headlamp juice, I study a map or hunting regs if i need something to read. Usually beat at end of day so i don't need anything to kill time. May be nice for a rainy day though.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
" The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival ", by John Vaillant.

I read this some years ago. It struck me as a latter day, nonfiction Jack London deal. Its about a man eating tiger in Siberia and what all happened, in the 1990s.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
laws yes, M O O N that spells great book.

if you liked"the stand" I would recommend"swan song" by robert r mcammon

another in the same tradition is called "FIRE" by Alan Rogers
I accidentally ready the opening few lines of The Stand again, a few weeks ago... Then, accidentally re-read the entire book, it is excellent.

I think I may have enjoyed Swan Song better than the Stand, not sure. I'll have to check out Fire.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but the 3 book series "The Passage" by Justin Cronin was great as well.

Reactions: kidoggy

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
One Man’s Wilderness written from the journals of Dick Proenneke. True life story of a man moving to twin lakes Alaska and building a cabin and filming everything he did. Undaunted Courage, another true story written from the journals of Lewis and Clark, mostly Lewis though. It’s almost funny how many elk and buffalo they would kill on a regular basis to feed a small party.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have read a couple of books on the Lewis and Clark adventures and found them quite interesting.

On the number of animals killed for such a relatively small party you have to remember that they had no way of preserving it except for drying it out, and that process takes time to do

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
tom Clancy- oath of office .

funny how authors today keep writing for years after they die.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I have read a couple of books on the Lewis and Clark adventures and found them quite interesting.

On the number of animals killed for such a relatively small party you have to remember that they had no way of preserving it except for drying it out, and that process takes time to do
I meant the number they would kill at one time. Like 6 buffalo and 4 elk, and only take the tongues and humps.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That was the way back in the time of "Plenty"

Only take the best cuts and leave the rest.

Wow that sounds like some deer and elk that I have found when the hunter who shot it just decided to take the back straps and hinds and leave the rest.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I normally bring copies of magazines ( Eastmans, outdoor life, bugle) out to my stand for day sits. As far as books go I like a good Hemingway book

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
If you guys like reading about ol timer's adventures the Alaskan Wolf man is good read .. Another one i didn't see mentioned is Alaskan/Yukon Trophies won & lost by GO Young.... When you read these books it will make you appreciate ALL the goodies we have today..

Reactions: AKaviator

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
On some of your recommendations, I’ve read most of the cj box joe pickett books, and have enjoyed them. John sandford has written a pile of books, but I’ve gotten into his Virgil Flowers series. Virgil is an unorthodox BCA agent who works murder cases in Minnesota. He also is a fishing junkie

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One thing on the CJ Box Joe Pickett books is that you really need to start at book one. If not at times you will be in the middle of something and it will take a bit to figure it all out.

I read one that was about in the middle on my trip to Africa and then my sister gave me the whole collection of 16 at the time. I started at book 1 and went through to 16. Now there are a few more out to read.

They are some good books.

If you want a interesting one to read get a copy of Wildlife Wars by Terry Grosz. It is about the life and times of a federal wildlife fish and game warden. He has some great stories in it.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yeah most of my favorites authors these days tend write series ,instead of independent books .

lee childs - jack reacher books are entertaining.... the two movies were even ,ok, despite tom cruise being cast as the bone cruncher ,Reacher.

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
This might be out of left field for this particular forum...But I recommend The Hobbit, Star Wars Thrawn Series, and The Dresden Files.

Reactions: marcusvdk