A good book

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
Lone Survivor is an excellent book. The Long Walk is one of my favorites. Anything by Stephen Hunter is good. Hot Springs and Point of Impact are my favorites.

Jason Moeller

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Check out the series by CJ box. He writes stories about a fictional Wyoming Game warden, Joe Pickett. While his stories are not true, they are full of facts about the different areas and tie to factual events. He isn't the most polished writer but he can tell a story that keeps you in the book until the end.

Reactions: gonhunting247

Raghorn11

Sep 1, 2014
Ga
I agree with lone survivor as well. Another great book if you're a runner or just lacking motivation(which I doubt because you're in the back country) is ultra marathon man. Great book.

predator_master223

Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
It all depends on what you like. As previously stated, Death In The Long Grass is an excellent read, as is Most of Peter Capsticks books. Anything Larry Kaniut is involved with is good. Away from outdoors, Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor is excellent. It's better than the movie, though it isn't bad. Chris Kyle's American Sniper and American Gun (?) are good. I 2nd the idea of buying used books. When I'm done reading a book I usually pass it on to someone else with the idea that they will do the same when they're done. I only keep the ones that are exceptional to me.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the middle of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about Louis Zamperini. It will make you scoff at any aches and pains you might be feeling. I recommend it highly!

I took Alaska Bear Tales, about a bunch of the bear maulings in Alaska, when I was on a solo Goat hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. Not the best read for a hunt like that!!
No Kidding!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Check out the series by CJ box. He writes stories about a fictional Wyoming Game warden, Joe Pickett. While his stories are not true, they are full of facts about the different areas and tie to factual events. He isn't the most polished writer but he can tell a story that keeps you in the book until the end.
His series about Wyoming Game Warden Joe Picket are pretty good. New one just came out.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
You guy have named a lot of the books that I have read. I seldom find time to read in the outback, but last fall I was stuck in the tent for three days, and my Louis Lamour book helped pass the time. It was my partner's first trip, and when I finished my book I asked if he was ready to swap, and he said "Damn, I knew I forgot something." I once spent 3 months alone on a canoe trip and wished I had more than the one book I had, "The Broken Seal" was read and reread several times that year. That was the story of the codebreakers in WWII. You can put a whole library on a reader or Kindle as long as you manage the battery.

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
Its not hunting related, but on my elk hunt this year I read Horse Soldiers. It is one of those books that is really hard to put down. I don't think most people know that the war against the Taliban post 9/11 was fought by a handful of US special forces working alongside Afghan fighters who rode on horses. Maybe I was just to young at the time, but I thought the war was fought by a large number of US troops. Its pretty interesting, definitely a must-read.

danroecker

Apr 14, 2015
Oregon
+1 for Gary Paulsen. I just read "Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod" and thought it was terrific. I had no particular interest in the Iditarod prior to reading this book but I found it really incredible what this first timer goes through to train his dogs and run the race. It's a good and easy read. I highly recommend it.