A good book

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
another suggestion , if you like hunting stories, check out
NOT LOOKING TO DIE by Bill Sansom
it is a book of short stories about hunts he has had throughout his own life.

Usmcvet

Jul 6, 2016
"The Frontiersman" by Alan Eckhart is about Simon Kenton in the Ohio valley area back in the 1700's. Talks about his interactions with Daniel Boone, Andrew Jackson, the French, British, Indians, and settlers in the untamed frontier of that time. Great read about a tough & hardy frontiersman.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Colorado Cowboy is right Anything by jack O'conner is worth reading but he's wrong cause I bet he doesn't take them in his backpack they are heavy and costly. They are great to read on a nasty night with a good Single-Malt. I used to read his stuff in Outdoor Life back in the 1960's. I also recommend Lonesome Dove but I bet most of you guy's have read it. Little Big Man is great and funny as hell. It's better than the movie and the movie is really good staring Dustin Hoffman and the great Chief Dan George. And speaking of Brokeback Mt. I picked up a copy of Annie Proulx's book Close Range a collection of short stories about Wyoming. She won the Pulitzer Prize for her book The Shipping News. I read about half of the stories and the next one was Brokeback Mt. So that's where it's from. Lot's of looking at ranch life, rodeos and cowboy's good read. Skip BB Mt. if you feel strongly about it. Pretty violent and raw but good.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There is also a good trilogy by Harry Combs. The 3 are:

Brules; The Scout; & The Legend of the Spotted Horse.

They are set in the late 1800s to WWII following a man who does everything from scouting for Custer to fighting Indians. It is set mostly here in the 4 corners area, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I have read them several times. Well worth the time.

Last edited:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I like the bang bang shootem up books for this type of reading. just pure entertainment. no thinking involved.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
CJ BOX books about a fictional game warden in Wyoming. A buddy just turned me on to them. They suck you in right away and hold your attention throughout the book. I'm on my third one in less than a month. He has several out.

SAVAGE RUN

TROPHY HUNT

There are several more besides these.
I have been getting these on books on tape for the commute from the Library. They have been pretty good. I have been pulling in the drive and listening a little longer, lol.

hoshour

Veteran member
CJ Box is not only prolific. He is consistently good.

The downside is that I end up missing a good bit of sleep because I want to keep going and I end up finishing at some ridiculous hour when I should have been snoring for hours.

I had not read the last four and found them used on Amazon for a couple bucks apiece plus shipping since they don't qualify for Prime when they're used.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
CJ Box is not only prolific. He is consistently good.

The downside is that I end up missing a good bit of sleep because I want to keep going and I end up finishing at some ridiculous hour when I should have been snoring for hours.

I had not read the last four and found them used on Amazon for a couple bucks apiece plus shipping since they don't qualify for Prime when they're used.
I totally understand that! I have lost a lot of sleep telling myself "just one more page!" I can't put them down once I start reading his books!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
William Kent Kruger has a series of books about Cork O'Connor, a retired cop who does private eye work. They're pretty good and often take place in the wilderness, and have some native American spiritual flavor to them. Simple, and straightforward.

Wapiti_Hunter

Aug 8, 2014
Westminster CO
My favorite books would be:

No Shortcuts To The Top by Ed Viesturs (Second man to climb the seven summits without oxygen)
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
So many good suggestions in here.. Since I started this thread, I've probably read about 40 of the books in here. I'm currently on book 11 in the Joe Pickett Series, I'm really enjoying it. The Road was great, but apparently, I'm too stupid for Blood Meridian. It' the only book I've ever read, that I just could not get into..
In addition to the books on this thread, I recently read The Stand, by Stephen King. It's an absolute must read. My favorite book ever.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
my wife got me this book for Christmas: "Hunting Wild Sheep and Goats Around the World a mountain hunters journal" by George Latham Myers 2.

pretty good read. each chapter is a different hunt.

crzytrekker

Jan 14, 2016
Crawford, Colorado
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. This book of manly precepts was written by a Roman warrior king and has stood the test of time. Although Marcus was arguably the most powerful man of his day, the book is fairly easy to read.

Louis L'Amour Volume 4, Part 1 and Part 2, Adventure Stories. They don't write adventure like this anymore.

crzytrekker

Jan 14, 2016
Crawford, Colorado
Two great books that were required reading when I was an officer cadet in the Army:

1. Panzer Commander, written by a German battalion commander (panzer tanks) after his service in WWII. The author served throughout the war under Rommel in the Desert, in Eastern Europe, and in Germany during the final days of the war. He was an honorable Wehrmacht officer, not a member of the SS. Great book on leadership.

2. Platoon Commander, written by a platoon leader of the 173rd Airborne in Vietnam. His account of the Vietnam war while leading a platoon of paratroopers at a remote outpost is genuine and harrowing. A great, great book on small team leadership.