A good book

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Getting ready to roll out at the end of next week, for 2 weeks in the Idaho backcountry.

I've never taken a book before, as I didn't want to deal with the little bit of added extra weight, but after a few years of dialing in the pack, and more than a few mid afternoons spent just staring off into the timber, I think I might take a book with me this year.

Anyone got any must reads? I've heard great things about 'Death in the Long Grass', and may consider it.

Thoughts?

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Cam Hanes book [Backcountry Bowhunting] is excellent, but heavy. Don't know if there is a digital copy. Might be a great source of inspiration/energy and an idea engine as you work your tail off.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I guess if you want to have nightmares about wolves and bears Death in the Long Grass might be a good read, lol.
This is a legitimate concern... I have been know to get nervous when the wind blows a little harder than normal.

Mebbe I'll just read Winnie the Pooh instead.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
In the past I usually go to the used book store and just look around until I find something interesting. If you get stranded for an extra week and need TP you won't be tearing up a $25 book.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm in the middle of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about Louis Zamperini. It will make you scoff at any aches and pains you might be feeling. I recommend it highly!

I took Alaska Bear Tales, about a bunch of the bear maulings in Alaska, when I was on a solo Goat hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. Not the best read for a hunt like that!!

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
I'm in the middle of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about Louis Zamperini. It will make you scoff at any aches and pains you might be feeling. I recommend it highly!

I took Alaska Bear Tales, about a bunch of the bear maulings in Alaska, when I was on a solo Goat hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. Not the best read for a hunt like that!!
That sounds like a good reason to end the hunt early reading bear mauling stories! Either you have huge jewels or really didn't think that one through to well cuz its hard enough staying focused on a hunt like that and to throw bear maulings into the mix....I don't know if I am that mentally tough enough!, ha ha!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
That sounds like a good reason to end the hunt early reading bear mauling stories! Either you have huge jewels or really didn't think that one through to well cuz its hard enough staying focused on a hunt like that and to throw bear maulings into the mix....I don't know if I am that mentally tough enough!, ha ha!
I don't think it was mental toughness on my part...more likely mental vacancy! It sure made every noise at night outside my tent very vivid!

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Anything by Steven Pressfield is a good bet but I especially recommend "Killing Rommel" if you can find it in paperback (for weight). What a cool (and true) story plus it reads easy.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast

I was just about to make the same recommendation.
I read a little of it and I am saving it for some down time during the hunt!!!!

dcopas78

Nov 20, 2013
Decatur, Ohio
"Unbroken" is a great book. I have recently started "Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad" by Stephen Ambrose. If you like history, especially of the western area, you will like this. It is basically the inspiration for the show "Hell on Wheels" (although the show is highly dramatized) which is what the railroad towns that sprung up were called.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
"Lone Survivor" is a great read. It makes it hard for you to feel sorry for yourself in the back country. I also like to bring along a few Louis L'Amour books, they are light and I like westerns.

hoshour

Veteran member
I bring my e-reader and I have tons of books on it, including my Bible. The battery will last for a week or more and it doesn't weigh that much for what I have on it.

I like Hemingway, Capstick, Ruark (The Old Man and the Boy is good), the Sherlock Holmes short stories.

But my all-time favorite author for non-fiction hunting is Jim Corbett, who spent a good bit of his life hunting down serial man-eaters in India, solo. Lots of close calls and finding himself the intended prey of stalks by stealthy predators with a taste for human flesh.

You can also get some classics by Roosevelt, Sheldon and others free as e-books, just be sure to check out the formatting. Actually, you'd be amazed how many free e-book classics are out there to download.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
In the same ball park as Unbroken is Biggest Brother...... If you enjoyed the HBO series Band Of Brothers it is a very good read.

PointsHunter

Jan 19, 2014
Singapore
Harry Potter:)..... Nah.... The twilight books.... Nah.... Oh, oh that 50 shades of grey book!

In seriousness I'd "second" others mentions of Lone Survivor or American sniper for recent military, Unbroken is a solid read, Ghost Soldiers is decent, the Ambrose book on transcontinental railroad is good - but maybe not great over a hunt. There's "With the Old Breed" or "The Forgotteen 500" not mentioned often - very decent reads. Less military but fascinating stories - "into the heart of the sea" or anything on Earnest Sheckleton (sp?).