75-25% for Colorado

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
They (the commission) still has to approve it but at this point it does look like most likely it is a done deal.

TruckerJay

Nov 9, 2022
Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
NR PP Creep here we come....

Until they stop allowing people to build points while getting OTC tags, point creep will be an uphill battle on a greased hill.

Reactions: Buckbob and ScottR

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
NR PP Creep here we come....

Until they stop allowing people to build points while getting OTC tags, point creep will be an uphill battle on a greased hill.
If they change and take point for OTC (and/or 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice), there will be a lot of tags unsold. Most OTC are in areas that are marginal habitat or private land.....that's why they don't get scooped up in the normal draw.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that he was talking about what I used to do. I would put in for a elk point and then purchase a OTC bull elk tag to hunt on. For deer I would put in for a point and then get a leftover archery tag. I hunted deer and elk every year that I was building points for both. 14 points for deer and 17 points for elk.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think that he was talking about what I used to do. I would put in for a elk point and then purchase a OTC bull elk tag to hunt on. For deer I would put in for a point and then get a leftover archery tag. I hunted deer and elk every year that I was building points for both. 14 points for deer and 17 points for elk.
Yes this is what I was referring to. Shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too. They are going to have to do something to pump the brakes on point creep. Instead, they lubed the proverbial NR PP creep train tracts with KY...

Reactions: D_Dubya

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
Not happy about the percentages. 90/10 was my preference. I guess we will have to stomach this for a while but I’m afraid they are going to apply this to first choice only and not fill the 75% using all 4 resident choices before awarding any tags to the NR.
If that’s the case then us residents really got screwed and in the end we lost another 5% of top tier tags and didn’t really gain anything. No state treats their residents worse than Colorado.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Not happy about the percentages. 90/10 was my preference. I guess we will have to stomach this for a while but I’m afraid they are going to apply this to first choice only and not fill the 75% using all 4 resident choices before awarding any tags to the NR.
If that’s the case then us residents really got screwed and in the end we lost another 5% of top tier tags and didn’t really gain anything. No state treats their residents worse than Colorado.
show me the money!!!!

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
It is most likely happening this year.

If it is going to be 75-25 it should be for all tags. Or lo vouchers, 2nd draw, youth, as well as returned and reissue licenses.

Also a buckskin…

554F4124-6921-46C4-A646-2226B266D016.jpeg

Reactions: Granby guy

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The answer is money, now what was the question?

The P part of CPW is where this goes sideways. Their perspective is the more the merrier in the sense of money. The more NR they have come to the state the more they will likely spend in the system, which they can claim as a win for the touristm economy, so on and so forth. The OTC option while keeping points is part of the issue, not having to front money to buy tags is also part of the equation. If every state required jumping in the app pool in order to get a point creep would slow down significantly, IMHO.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Here's my (very long) summary of what they discussed during the CPW Commisioner's Meeting today and yesterday.
I tried to summarize 2 days of discussion. If anyone who listened heard something else please jump in.

1) The Commissioners unanimously approved the final Colorado Wolf Restorartion and Management Plan clearing the way for the introduction of wolves in the Western Slope area by December 31, 2023.

2) Colorado’s resident hunters won additional tag allocations. CPW’s staff recommended modifying the big game license distribution to an across-the-board allocation for deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear of 75% for residents and 25% for nonresidents effective for the 2024 big game seasons. However, the Commissioners pointed out they just recently spent a lot of time updating the 3-year average used to determine which hunts are considered “High Demand” and the odds for these hunts were held at 80%/20%. Therefore, the Commission approved the staff’s recommendation for 75%/25% for normal hunts (an increase for residents from 65%/35%) but retained 80%/20% for high demand hunts (avoiding a decrease for residents to 75/25). This will result in a net increase of 3,000+ tags for Colorado’s resident hunters.

3) Unfortunately, all Colorado Hunters will lose overall limited licenses for the upcoming season. This meeting dealt with Colorado’s continued harsh winter weather which was compared to ’83-’84 as being historically brutal on our wildlife. Conditions in Northwest Colorado are by far the worst and with deep snow, drifts, and at least a 3-foot snow-base across the region. To deal with this, Andy Holland, Colorado’s State Big Game Manager, gave a presentation on CPW recommendations for reductions in big game licenses. Details will be published, but his recommendations were approved to cut overall limited license by 217,000 (about 13%) for the upcoming 2023 season for Deer, Elk and Pronghorn across the state, with the largest cuts occurring in the Severe Winter Zone (NW corner). Additionally, Cow Elk tags will be reduced by 25% to help the elk herds recover faster. Notably Moose licenses will increase by 7% for bulls and 10% for cows.

4) All OTC Colorado Hunters will also lose hunting days to shortened seasons. To further deal with the harsh winter, it was approved to reduce the length of 2nd & 3rd OTC Bull seasons to only 5 days each in DAU E2 & E6 (GMU’s 3, 301, 4, 441, 5, 14, 214, 11, 12, 13, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 131, 211, 231). This fall’s 2nd Season will be from Oct 28 to Nov 1 and 3rd Season from Nov 11 to 15.

5) Point Banking of preference points for deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear
was discussed. The CPW staff (as directed during the previous meeting) presented the Commissioner’s with alternatives for point banking, as follows:
- Do nothing, Do NOT adopt point banking.
- Alt 1: Simple Banking System with a 2-point surcharge.
- Alt 2: Simple Banking System with a 2-point surcharge plus a once-in-a-lifetime banking limit per species.
Unfortunately, after a great deal of discussion, and confusion, the commissioners got hung up on the “complicated” system and instead of deciding what to do they kicked-the-can down the road and ask the CPW staff to put together a New Task Force of Commissioners, Members, Public and Staff: To study the Entire Draw System, try to simplify it, and consider REMOVING PREFERENCE POINTS altogether. The outcome of this could definitely be tragic for all hunters who’ve been saving preference points for many years. Potentially even worse, they gave no guidance as to what they might do if all preference points were actually removed.
More to follow in June…

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Here's my (very long) summary of what they discussed during the CPW Commisioner's Meeting today and yesterday.
I tried to summarize 2 days of discussion. If anyone who listened heard something else please jump in.

1) The Commissioners unanimously approved the final Colorado Wolf Restorartion and Management Plan clearing the way for the introduction of wolves in the Western Slope area by December 31, 2023.

2) Colorado’s resident hunters won additional tag allocations. CPW’s staff recommended modifying the big game license distribution to an across-the-board allocation for deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear of 75% for residents and 25% for nonresidents effective for the 2024 big game seasons. However, the Commissioners pointed out they just recently spent a lot of time updating the 3-year average used to determine which hunts are considered “High Demand” and the odds for these hunts were held at 80%/20%. Therefore, the Commission approved the staff’s recommendation for 75%/25% for normal hunts (an increase for residents from 65%/35%) but retained 80%/20% for high demand hunts (avoiding a decrease for residents to 75/25). This will result in a net increase of 3,000+ tags for Colorado’s resident hunters.

3) Unfortunately, all Colorado Hunters will lose overall limited licenses for the upcoming season. This meeting dealt with Colorado’s continued harsh winter weather which was compared to ’83-’84 as being historically brutal on our wildlife. Conditions in Northwest Colorado are by far the worst and with deep snow, drifts, and at least a 3-foot snow-base across the region. To deal with this, Andy Holland, Colorado’s State Big Game Manager, gave a presentation on CPW recommendations for reductions in big game licenses. Details will be published, but his recommendations were approved to cut overall limited license by 217,000 (about 13%) for the upcoming 2023 season for Deer, Elk and Pronghorn across the state, with the largest cuts occurring in the Severe Winter Zone (NW corner). Additionally, Cow Elk tags will be reduced by 25% to help the elk herds recover faster. Notably Moose licenses will increase by 7% for bulls and 10% for cows.

4) All OTC Colorado Hunters will also lose hunting days to shortened seasons. To further deal with the harsh winter, it was approved to reduce the length of 2nd & 3rd OTC Bull seasons to only 5 days each in DAU E2 & E6 (GMU’s 3, 301, 4, 441, 5, 14, 214, 11, 12, 13, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 131, 211, 231). This fall’s 2nd Season will be from Oct 28 to Nov 1 and 3rd Season from Nov 11 to 15.

5) Point Banking of preference points for deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear
was discussed. The CPW staff (as directed during the previous meeting) presented the Commissioner’s with alternatives for point banking, as follows:
- Do nothing, Do NOT adopt point banking.
- Alt 1: Simple Banking System with a 2-point surcharge.
- Alt 2: Simple Banking System with a 2-point surcharge plus a once-in-a-lifetime banking limit per species.
Unfortunately, after a great deal of discussion, and confusion, the commissioners got hung up on the “complicated” system and instead of deciding what to do they kicked-the-can down the road and ask the CPW staff to put together a New Task Force of Commissioners, Members, Public and Staff: To study the Entire Draw System, try to simplify it, and consider REMOVING PREFERENCE POINTS altogether. The outcome of this could definitely be tragic for all hunters who’ve been saving preference points for many years. Potentially even worse, they gave no guidance as to what they might do if all preference points were actually removed.
More to follow in June…
so if they remove the preference point system altogether than does that mean it will be all random draw ??

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Unfortunately It means just want I said at the end,
They gave no guidance as to what they might do if all preference points were actually removed. More to follow in June…

… until then, we’ll have to hope the New CPW Task Force develops some ration solutions … like, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Reactions: disabled combat vet

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
3,000 permit R increease for trophy hunts aint bad. But res will complain cause nr have 25%.

They’d complain more if they had to cover the costs.

The wolf thing sucks. People are the stupidest things on the planet. We obliterated them for a reason but let’s reintroduce them. They will never understand what happens in the future as being attributed to the wolves.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallardsx2

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The 3000+ tags is total, only about 100 are high demand tags.

You’re correct about residents complaining about NR getting 25%. Many of the public comments were from residents pushing for 90%/10%.
CPW recommended 75%/25% as a compromise.

And the wolf thing sucks.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Great recap thanks!

Most of it went as expected and the trophy tags were not ever gained by residents just not lost as the 80-20 was status quo..

The commissioners asking for a working group to address creep is interesting. 5 year will be here soon… The make up of the commission is a wild card and fair to say this commission more political than any other.

Maybe we get lucky and no one will give Co wolves..

Reactions: Winchester