3 antelope points buy one or ?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Got 3 points for antelope in Wy didn't buy a point last year so I lose them if I don't buy one this year. Not even sure what the points cost now days or if Im close enough to actually think about putting in. Fyi nobody i hunt with has points so it would be a solo trip . What says everyone?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Buy, with my hunting partner passing away last year I am now a holder of quite a few Wyoming antelope points and deer points and I still picked up one of each this year.

I'll cash them in in a couple of years and hire a outfitter since I'll be by myself and getting to the age that I hate doing stuff like hunting by myself

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Buy a point.
An antelope hunt can easily be done by yourself, and its an easy enough hunt to bring a non-hunter with too. I'd say 5 points plus is where I'd be aiming for as NR, if your only going once. I say that for the fact it'll get you into an area with more public land, and in many cases a higher population, which both combined can provide more opportunity overall.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Seriously? lol
Let's take 7 points (rifle hunts) as baseline
AZ: average odds to draw is about 0.6%. Great hunts but you may never draw. Only 2 units drawn by NR in the bonus pass. It took 26 and 27 points to guarantee a tag.
CO: There are 4 units that can be drawn with at least 25% public land. 4, 18, 69, 135. Only unit 18 has 50% public land.
UT: odds between 0.2% and 12% for every hunt. No hunt in the state was drawn in the preference draw with less than 11 points and 90% of the hunts were 13-20 points.
NM: no points but NR odds of drawing are from 0.2%-4.7% for every hunt in the state. So, if you have good luck, you could draw next year but if you have bad luck or even average luck you will never draw. I'm 0 for 10.
ID: no points but NR odds of drawing are 1%-7%. If you have average luck, it will take you 25 years to draw. Only have to buy a (roughly) $180 license to apply.
NV: he's a resident so a no-brainer to apply there. There are units with tons of public and very high-quality bucks.
MT: is the only other state with a good chance to draw at that point level. I think few Montana residents would argue that their hunting vs a WY 7-point unit would contain the same quality of antelope bucks.

WY is still the best value for NR antelope hunting in the west. WY is like an antelope factory. Even on bad years it churns out a ton of bucks.

That's my opinion. But you know what they say, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one" lol

Reactions: Naturebob

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Let's take 7 points (rifle hunts) as baseline
AZ: average odds to draw is about 0.6%. Great hunts but you may never draw. Only 2 units drawn by NR in the bonus pass. It took 26 and 27 points to guarantee a tag.
CO: There are 4 units that can be drawn with at least 25% public land. 4, 18, 69, 135. Only unit 18 has 50% public land.
UT: odds between 0.2% and 12% for every hunt. No hunt in the state was drawn in the preference draw with less than 11 points and 90% of the hunts were 13-20 points.
NM: no points but NR odds of drawing are from 0.2%-4.7% for every hunt in the state. So, if you have good luck, you could draw next year but if you have bad luck or even average luck you will never draw. I'm 0 for 10.
ID: no points but NR odds of drawing are 1%-7%. If you have average luck, it will take you 25 years to draw. Only have to buy a (roughly) $180 license to apply.
NV: he's a resident so a no-brainer to apply there. There are units with tons of public and very high-quality bucks.
MT: is the only other state with a good chance to draw at that point level. I think few Montana residents would argue that their hunting vs a WY 7-point unit would contain the same quality of antelope bucks.

WY is still the best value for NR antelope hunting in the west. WY is like an antelope factory. Even on bad years it churns out a ton of bucks.

That's my opinion. But you know what they say, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one" lol
Wyoming is hands down the best option where quality meets opportunity when it comes to antelope for Non residents.

Reactions: Naturebob

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sorry Alabama but mallards is right. Plenty of great areas can be drawn with 5-8 PP.
Point creep happens so never know but plenty of areas worthy of 4 PP and a good hunt.

Buy your PP this year and wait til April and see what the set quotas are. With 4 PP and maybe going special draw you could get a fun area with plenty of public land to hunt and quality bucks to pursue.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just to put this in perspective....Wyoming has more antelope die on opening days than most states have goats. We are blessed with a factory for them that because of their nature has to be micromanaged.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think the confusion came when I assumed he was specifically talking about Wyoming. I quoted "There are very few places where 5-8 points gets you a hunt with a lot of public land and quality bucks. "

What I now believe he meant was "Other than Wyoming, there are very few places where 5-8 points gets you a hunt with a lot of public land and quality bucks. " Obviously, because he listed the crappy situations everywhere else in the country.

And he is also right, I'm an a$$hole, or did he mean to say that in that way? Either way, my feelings are intact still. haha

I'm not filling one of these out quite yet....

• Haha
Reactions: ScottR

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
4-5 points and paying $1200 for a tag will get you into some great pronghorn areas in 2024 I bet.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I'm going to buy the point and try for a hunt somewhere I could care less about 80 inch goat I can find them here, this was going to be a hunt with a grandkid but I won't gamble on costs in 3 to 4 years. Hopefully I can find a spot to hunt where I can pick up a doe tag also . Its my favorite to eat.

Reactions: Alabama