2B mule deer scouting!

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
As most of you know, I'm the lucky son of a gun who drew the late season November 3-7 rifle mule deer hunt. I'm gettin the badlands superday and truck loaded up and ready to scout. I am very busy so this is the first scouting I have done this year but I am super pumped! I should have done way more scouting with such a great tag but I just didn't have time so hopefully it will be a successful weekend and I will find tons of bucks. I'll try to take some good pics I can post as well.

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Good luck, I just had a buddy take his son on the 2B youth hunt. He said the bucks are tough to pick out right now. They seem to be hanging in the thick pinon trees and not really moving around a whole lot.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
has the migration started yet?? if it has plan on seeing a ton of deer.
We went and worked our butts off and burned a heck of a lot of boot leather and ended up only seeing one little forky buck and some other dinks that people killed in the north part of the unit. We did see a total toad of a buck on a guys truck that was a sweet 4x4 in the mid 170's that had some sick extras on his G2's. We scouted and saw hardly anything. A lot of guys killed little bucks near the road in the northern part of the unit. NMHUNTER: Does the migration happen in the northern part of the unit when the deer come from Colorado? One guy told us that there was a major migration from Colorado in November, is that true? Thanks, you can pm me as well.

Last edited:

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
NO, The migration has not started, and wont start until colorado starts getting some snow. The forecasts from farmers market doesnt look very good for snow this yr again!! Could be a very tough hunt to find the buck your hoping for. Don't get bummed out just yet though. There are some big deer that are local to the area, but they don't get big by showing themselves. Was the only area you looked at the bancos canyon area? Shoot me a pm and we can discuss the unit in a little more detail.