2022 Fishing thread

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
About a week and a half from our family trip to Texas. We will be on lake Palestine and will have a little time to fish well we are there. Can't wait never been. Love to catch a few different things for sure.

Reactions: buckbull

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Just got back from a trout fly fishing trip in Idaho on the Henry’s Fork. We booked with WorldCast Anglers and did a drift boat with 3 boats. We had great guides that were patient with us newbie’s and taught us a ton.
Out of the 6 of us only 2 are very experienced fly fishing anglers but this trip now has us all HOOKED! Ha

So I dropped some cash on 2 rigs, pack, a crap ton of flys, upgraded my net and now just need some waders but for now I’ll go with some quick drying pants.

We are now wanting to plan a few more local trips but I want to go to New Zealand next year and hit the 3 main rivers and possibly a fly in trip. Has anyone done this trip or have any info on approximate costs for licenses maybe some lodges or weekly rentals like VRBO?

Im thinking of not going with guides and go DIY but would be ok with guides too. There will be 6 of us going so I want to get started with my research.

Thanks guys!
I’ve never been really enthusiastic about trout fishing, but have you ever looked into Jurassic lake in Argentina? 20# rainbows aren’t all that uncommon. Would possibly make a fun cast and blast if any hunting is available near there

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I’ve never been really enthusiastic about trout fishing, but have you ever looked into Jurassic lake in Argentina? 20# rainbows aren’t all that uncommon. Would possibly make a fun cast and blast if any hunting is available near there
Our company attorney went to argentina on a dove hunt and shot thousands of rounds per day.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Our company attorney went to argentina on a dove hunt and shot thousands of rounds per day.
I know there’s also plenty of big game hunting opportunities in Argentina, but I don’t know if any are close to Jurassic lake. I think hunting a stag and catching a 20# rainbow would be a pretty good day

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
We had a spectacular return to the Ontario resort where many of my group have been going for years, until we were shut out. In 2019 I made two trips there, and had decent fishing, but this year I was able to catch easily 20X as many walleyes, with a few nice smallmouth bass, perch, a northerns to boot. The bass were 16" and 18", and the walleye was 23". One 27" walleye was caught, and northerns up to 37".
I am headed out on Friday for a fly-in outpost camp that we were able to get to last August after the border opened. My fishing partner was just there and they had hit the short brook trout run in the river, catching brookies up to 23". The trout photo is from 2018, and my biggest at 22 1/2".DSCN0567.JPGDSCN0571.JPGDSCN0296.JPG

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Amazing pictures. I miss canada cant wait for them to open back up.
Marcus...Canada is open. The Arrive Canada app is not too much trouble. You provide a pic of your Covid vaccination card, date and estimated time of entry at a border crossing, with your pertinent info. You may be subject to a random Covid test, but that seems to be a very small chance. You also need to provide an address for quarantine if you do test positive while in Canada. The address of the resort suffices.
At the border, they check your passport that links to your ArriveCanada info, ask the same questions they typically ask, and you are quickly on your way.

Reactions: marcusvdk

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Just to clarify, you have to log on to Arrive Canada within 72 hours of the border crossing. You will be given a printable "pass" to bring with you, although it appears that you are automatically linked to it when they check your passport.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm ready to go fishing with my kids, the weather has made it challenging but by design we do our household projects in May and early June to free up the rest of the summer.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Heading to Port St Joe in the morning. Looks like good weather and it was a great trip last year..... More to come.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Heading to Port St Joe in the morning. Looks like good weather and it was a great trip last year..... More to come.
In Florida? Way back when I was married we looked at vacation property down there. Never pulled the trigger. Great area and at the time it wasn't as commercialized as some of the areas to the northwest.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Ya Florida. We got a guy we go with down there and he puts a guy on the fish. BIG ones. Last year we caught an 8' shark too. He said, "Your welcome to catch him, but, you don't get to bring that into my boat!" lol He knows how dangerous they are too apparently. lol

• Haha
Reactions: buckbull