2021 WY Quality

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
And me IDC about the quality this year as G&F decided that I won’t be chasing the speedsters this fall!! 😩😝 Good luck to those who drew and hope to see some pics of some good goats!!

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
Any updates on the goats in central WY (unit 75 specifically), are they having some decent growth is last years conditions affecting this years horns?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It's not looking good from a moisture standpoint. I would still guess there will be some 80" bucks roaming if a guy puts the time in. On a year like this, I would be there 2-3 days early to scout so you can be on one of them opening morning.

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
It's not looking good from a moisture standpoint. I would still guess there will be some 80" bucks roaming if a guy puts the time in. On a year like this, I would be there 2-3 days early to scout so you can be on one of them opening morning.

View attachment 35253

Units 73 and 75 actually appear to be doing quite well in the moisture dept. according to the NOAA precipitation tracker deal.

AHPS Precipitation Analysis

Reactions: Bonecollector

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Moisture at this point means nothing for pronghorn horn growth...they were 98% done by the end of May.

Moisture from here on out is going to determine how the remaining animals after hunting season enter winter condition wise as well as fawn survival.

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
Moisture at this point means nothing for pronghorn horn growth...they were 98% done by the end of May.

Moisture from here on out is going to determine how the remaining animals after hunting season enter winter condition wise as well as fawn survival.
Makes sense. I have been trying to track how the area around Shoshoni has done and from what I gather it seems like they had a dry fall last year, a mild winter, a wet spring and then decent moisture so far this summer. I have no idea how that translates to this this years horn growth, what do you think?

Reactions: BuzzH

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Makes sense. I have been trying to track how the area around Shoshoni has done and from what I gather it seems like they had a dry fall last year, a mild winter, a wet spring and then decent moisture so far this summer. I have no idea how that translates to this this years horn growth, what do you think?
I think there's never a time having a decent tag for pronghorn is a bad thing come September/October...

Mild winter had to help.

Reactions: accubond

ssulliv155

Mar 8, 2015
Central WY
Any updates on the goats in central WY (unit 75 specifically), are they having some decent growth is last years conditions affecting this years horns?
I live in area 97, and I have seen some great bucks this summer. I haven’t been through 75 in about a month so not much help on that. We have definitely had more moisture than we did last summer so that’s a positive. Although the heat has been terrible.

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
I live in area 97, and I have seen some great bucks this summer. I haven’t been through 75 in about a month so not much help on that. We have definitely had more moisture than we did last summer so that’s a positive. Although the heat has been terrible.
Looking at the last 180 days it looks like unit 97 and 75 are around 125%-150% of normal precipitation so I'm hoping the quality you're seeing in 97 overlaps into 75 as well. Thanks for the update!

Reactions: ssulliv155

ssulliv155

Mar 8, 2015
Central WY
The quality is still looking really good, definitely excited for this fall. We had one of the most mild winters that I can remember so I think that has definitely played a part.

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
The quality is still looking really good, definitely excited for this fall. We had one of the most mild winters that I can remember so I think that has definitely played a part.
Good to hear! I was just out in Thermopolis for a few days with the family and we took a look on the far west side of 75 and saw a few goats but not many and no bucks worth mentioning but it was the middle of the day and not in areas I will be hunting come September.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Good to hear! I was just out in Thermopolis for a few days with the family and we took a look on the far west side of 75 and saw a few goats but not many and no bucks worth mentioning but it was the middle of the day and not in areas I will be hunting come September.
After I shoot my 80+ in that unit I will let ya know what rock they are hiding on lol.