2021 new gear dreams and must haves.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Whats everyones must haves or dream gear for 2021.
There are some companies coming out with some kick butt gear. I just got SG's new catalog. Wow, they are making a splash!

Sitka has updated their Dewpoint ultralight raingear, which is mostly what I use since it is so lightweight. Looking forward to seeing this stuff.

Kryptek's Sonora layers are intriguing to me for early season....could be a great layer for August archery antelope hunting.

I love this time of year...so much cool stuff coming out!!! Normally we get to see it all at the trade shows and sport shows but all are cancelled this year due to stupid COVID regs. I guess I'll just patiently wait until product is available in the coming months...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I finally broke down and ordered a new Eberlestock pack. My cheap, 10 year old, pack took a beating this past season hauling meat.

Affordable ammo and reloading supplies would be a dream lol. I think we get there by mid summer.

Reactions: kidoggy

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I really don’t need anything but that won’t stop me from buying some things.

I don’t need them this year, but want to get a Storm Star tent and Kutana rain pants from Kuiu. Going to Kodiak next year for Sitka Blacktail. We will have a 6 man Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent or 8 man tipi, but with 4 of us and thermarest cots we will probably sleep 2 guys in the big shelter and 2 in smaller tents. Stack the cots in the bigger tent out of the way so we can all bring our chairs in if weather is to bad to hunt.

The rain pants I’d take along with my Yukon rain pants. I’m not planning to take any regular non-rain pants.

Gear I can buy early on sale or used saves me money, or at least keeps me from having to buy it while I’m focused on saving for the hunt. I’ll just watch for deals or use my birthday discount.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have waders too. I used Wiggys on my caribou hunt for stream crossings and will probably take them to Kodiak too. At 14oz for the pair it’s cheap insurance.

I have Simms G3 chest waders I got for the moose hunt. They are good for hunts when I’m not hiking to far to fast. They are breathable and better to hike in than I expected, but not like hunting pants.

My 2 Alaska trips I have yet to use regular hunting pants. If its not raining, everything was wet from rain, frost, or dew. Rain pants with hip vents have worked well for me.

I have waders too. I used Wiggys on my caribou hunt for stream crossings and will probably take them to Kodiak too. At 14oz for the pair it’s cheap insurance.

I have Simms G3 chest waders I got for the moose hunt. They are good for hunts when I’m not hiking to far to fast. They are breathable and better to hike in than I expected, but not like hunting pants.

My 2 Alaska trips I have yet to use regular hunting pants. If its not raining, everything was wet from rain, frost, or dew. Rain pants with hip vents have worked well for me.
That’s a lot of great info! Thank you! I hope to make AK in the next 5 or so years!

Reactions: mcseal2

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
So it really isn't hunting gear...but at this point I am just trying to make sure I have my pistol collection rounded out.
I just got a used Sig 220 Hunter in 10mm found on Gunbroker. I would liike to fill a blacktail tag on Kodiak with the handgun if it works out, but I'll use the rifle if not. It's heavier than my G20 but I shoot single action triggers much better than striker fired.

Reactions: AKaviator

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I did end up getting a pair of cableas waders and wader boots for my birthday when they were running a sale

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
After watching a variety of bino harness/pack reviews (including the AGC review on this forum), I ordered an AGC and received it in the mail in just a few days. Looks good, and will be trying it out on a cow elk hunt in October. I did have to remind myself several times to NOT get one of the oversize ones, as I tend to carry too much stuff already. I got a set of KUIU Chugach rain gear a couple years ago, and spent about 30 days packing them around on various trips, but they definitely work as it has never rained yet while I had them along.

Reactions: Winchester

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I finally got this rifle a couple weeks ago. I put a Vortex Diamond Back 4-12 on it, shoots great I am really happy with it so far and so are both of the young ladies. Looking forward to this fall’s antelope hunt.
They will love the 7mm-08. I gave mine to my grandson a couple years ago, and he has already shot a deer with it. Now all you have to do is find some ammo. I had bought 7mm-08 ammo whenever it was on sale, and was suprised to find 15 boxes in my ammo safe when I gave the rifle to him. So, he should be set for a long, long time.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I just picked up a brand new never out of box pair of danner pronghorns dirt cheap at a yard sale. 50 bucks! I almost felt guilty but they wanted stuff gone , so......................

I think they are 800 gram insulated. kinda bulky compared to what I generally wear ( danner pronghorns) but they sure be warm!!!!!!!!!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lost a lot of weight and have had to go thru all my hunting clothes and find out what I can still use. Just bought 2 sets of base layer. Took a bunch of stuff to the local church thrift shop. Have enough other stuff to get thru this season. Next year.....who knows? I have lost 50# and want to lose another 20 or so.

I also bought a new rifle which I discussed in another thread.