2021 Fishing

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks! We do the trip annually on the first weekend in August. We have been going for 8 years and this was honestly our worst year. We typically catch 400+. This year we ended up with about 250- just over 80lbs in fillets. All fishing from shore, no guide, and using all artificial. Great place to teach kids how to fish different baits.

This was one of the better fish. Wiper sure put up a fight!
View attachment 35856
Very nice! I did some white bass, striper, swiper fishing in GA a couple of times during spawning run when I lived there for a little bit. Fun fishing and good tasting fish.

There is nothing like a fishing vacation.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Well, it looks like we successfully jumped through all the hoops for entry into Canada. After a long drive and a night at the base by Armstrong, Ontario, 3 of us are flying into an outpost camp for a lot of fishing, card playing, eating, etc. I will give a follow-up report (with pictures) in a couple weeks.
Good luck and have fun. We had to move our hunt in Ontario for bears out a to 2023 do to the current situation and last years closure. Im ready to go back.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Well back from my trip to the UP. We stayed in a remote off grid cabin near cedar river mi. The whole place ran on solar power and propane generators. It was a beautiful place. The cedar river ran right behind the cabin giving us access to walk and wadded the river. The guy said they had a drought going on and the river was very low which it about 3-4 foot low easy judging from the bank. It was super rocking and with our water shoes we twisted ankles a few times over the week walking up and down the river. . The first day we walked to the west of the cabin and found a really nice deep hole. About 300 yards down in between two little islands that had a small rapids going into. We did good there as my brother caught 8 rock bass, 3 smallies and a pike out of ther and me and my brother in law got a small mouth and rock bass. Also the river was just loaded with crayfish it was insane the size and number of them we saw.

The next day it rained a little the night before (it rained 3 of the days we were there mostly at night) so the river came up a little and it was a bit deeper in the hole to the west we didnt have much luck. There we did walk to the east a little that day and caught a few here and there. Some of the spots we were crossing were barely at our shins and may places barely to our knees.

The rest of the trip me and my brother and law walked several times east on day over 2 miles and found a nice rapid with some deep wholes caught my self a few nice small mouths. And another day got some more rock bass and had a few small trout coming from under rocks to hit the spinner as it went by. We learned the fish didnt need super deep wholes to hide and found several spots we thought were empty that we ran a spinner through and caught fish.

We did end up driving down the road to the mouth of the river in to lake michigan we fished at the marina there and didnt have any luck. But I did have a huge hit on my 3/4 oz spoon that about ripped my rod from my hand. We were told there was big pike in that are.

We also had our charter that got moved to a different day cause of weather it was a rough day and we only caught 2 lake trout my brother in law got a nice 23 inch on and I caught a tiny 12 in trout. I did have a big fish on the line that spit the hook after a few large head shakes at the surface.

It was an amazing trip and I want to go back again the decor and cabin were beautiful as well.

Here are a few pics of the inside of the cabin36031360323603336034360353603636037

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
That was a nice trip too - always loved catching rock bass. The lakers are nice - we caught some once in Niagara Rv NY.

These are what we've caught this summer. Running an SSV-18 offshore and having fun - get about 6 offshore trips per year due to weather vs weekends. The long silver ones are king mackerel - we troll em with live bait or deep diving lures.

7-18.jpg

K Fish.jpg

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

This is a mount of my wife's Brown. I had it done by a taxi in Texas. Sent picture and dimensions, it is a fiberglass reproduction. I found them on the Internet. Most taxi's that specialize in fish, make casts of an original and then use it as a mould for repros. Unfortunatly most are along the coast where they catch a lot of them and you have to take the hit for shipping.

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Where did you buy this from? I caught a 95 inch sailfish off the coast of Miami about 10 years ago and purchased a replica from Kings taxidermy in Florida. It was fine but ended up costing a small fortune given the size of the box it was shipped in.
I caught the fish in lake superior and found a guy that was about an hour away that did great work it was lake effect taxidermy. I was able to pick it up in person so saved the shipping cost

I just had to provided the dimensions as many detailed pictures as I could give him

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
View attachment 36288

This is a mount of my wife's Brown. I had it done by a taxi in Texas. Sent picture and dimensions, it is a fiberglass reproduction. I found them on the Internet. Most taxi's that specialize in fish, make casts of an original and then use it as a mould for repros. Unfortunatly most are along the coast where they catch a lot of them and you have to take the hit for shipping.
Looks nice its hard to find a good fiah taxidermist but living in michigan with the big lakes helps

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Painting is the key to a great mount. Sending pictures is really necessary as fish of the same species coloration varies a lot, depends on the water and location where it was caught.

This 50# Dorado was mounted about 30 years ago. It is a fiberglass repro. Still looks great. This species has color variations all over the rainbow and pictures are mandatory if you want the fish to look like you remember it.