2021 Fishing

Colorado Cowboy

Veteran member
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Nice!

Caught a few of them, Marlin too. Used to spend lots of time in Cabo. 4 buddies and myself owned a 100 space rv park in Cabo San Lucas. We developed it (along with a Mexican partner) in 1982 and it was a Gold Mine. Used to fish a lot. That's where the Dorado came from.

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Painting is the key to a great mount. Sending pictures is really necessary as fish of the same species coloration varies a lot, depends on the water and location where it was caught.
View attachment 36289

This 50# Dorado was mounted about 30 years ago. It is a fiberglass repro. Still looks great. This species has color variations all over the rainbow and pictures are mandatory if you want the fish to look like you remember it.
Yeah pictures lots of them I known this guy even asked us to try for many pictures with different lighting if possible cause the angle of the sun and shadows can play the colors out differently. Ive had two fish mounted now this guy i went with cause the previous guy that did my walleye wasnt confident enough in his painting abilities to do trout and salmon. He said there harder to do then the warm water fish (pike, bass, walleye, etc) so I found contacted 3 guys and this taxidermist was the only one that was taking in new work at the time.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Beautiful i imagine the shipping cost hurt on that from the size of it
Yeah, I can't remember exactly the cost as its been a few years ago. I just looked up their price and a 95 inch sailfish will set you back $1520. I believe I paid about $1200. Shipping was $800. It arrived in a huge wooden crate delivered by an Estes semi tractor trailer. I know I had $2000 in it at the time. I had buyers regret almost immediately. We had been drinking all day and caught 2 95 inch sailfish and they sold me the mount right there on the boat, taking advantage of the excitement and booze. To back out of the deal I could only get 50% of my money back so just went through with it and chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Colorado Cowboy

Veteran member
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yeah, I can't remember exactly the cost as its been a few years ago. I just looked up their price and a 95 inch sailfish will set you back $1520. I believe I paid about $1200. Shipping was $800. It arrived in a huge wooden crate delivered by an Estes semi tractor trailer. I know I had $2000 in it at the time. I had buyers regret almost immediately. We had been drinking all day and caught 2 95 inch sailfish and they sold me the mount right there on the boat, taking advantage of the excitement and booze. To back out of the deal I could only get 50% of my money back so just went through with it and chalked it up to a lesson learned.
Most of the boats/captains get a commission from the taxi for the fisherman who get mounts.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
It can get pricey for sure i guess then the question is when you see it does it bring back good memories of the trip and what not. Both my fish mounts weren't cheep by any means but both were the first fish I've ever caught of that species. And wanted to keep the memories for the future

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
It can get pricey for sure i guess then the question is when you see it does it bring back good memories of the trip and what not. Both my fish mounts weren't cheep by any means but both were the first fish I've ever caught of that species. And wanted to keep the memories for the future
Well, the ex-wife got the fish in the divorce so that's a no. :)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Not to sound like a psychopath but I would have started up my saw and gave her half of the fish.

She gets the tail 1/2. lol

Reactions: buckbull

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
On the road home from our long weekend at a resort fishing camp in the UP. Had a great time will get some more picks posted in the3697936980 next few days..