2020 Elk Hunt

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Wow, 8+ days of hunting in elk country, awesome! Cool that you found a nice shed too!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
We took that picture and left it lying there...

Packing it around for the rest of the day in the terrain we were in was NOT an option.

My wife did not agree at the time but about an hour later she understood why we left it. lol

Reactions: AKaviator

memtb

Good photos, and accompanying comments. Pretty country, did you bring the snake from home or is it native ? :unsure: We’ve seena lot of things elk hunting.....but, never a snake! Glad y’all had a safe and enjoyable hunt! memtb

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Nothing better than getting out into the hills, even if you did come home empty handed.

I think that I would of packed that shed out. But then I have carried out a lot of other things that I have found out in the hills.

The snake may be quite common depending on where he was hunting. Most people hunt when it gets cooler and the snakes have moved into their dens for the winter. This one is a gopher snake, non venomous.

Reactions: memtb

memtb

Nothing better than getting out into the hills, even if you did come home empty handed.

I think that I would of packed that shed out. But then I have carried out a lot of other things that I have found out in the hills.

The snake may be quite common depending on where he was hunting. Most people hunt when it gets cooler and the snakes have moved into their dens for the winter. This one is a gopher snake, non venomous.
And here I was telling my wife it looked like a Bull Snake! ;)
If we get some wind.....we occasionally see “snow snakes” moving about! :ROFLMAO: memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I didn't touch the snake. Its just a gopher snake and it was at 10,800'. I took a picture of it and left it right where I found it.

Packing the shed out while hunting just was not practical. Not even in the least little bit. I travel with a very small day pack and would have had to carry it.

Bulls were shutting down early and firing up late. Did not see many elk. There was a lot of hunting pressure. Even when you got away from the roads there were a lot of people.

I passed up a long shot (72 yards) on a 340" bull. I felt good about passing up the shot. IMO it is too far for a shot.

Reactions: buckbull

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Those snakes can be quite feisty until they get used to be handled. I used to catch them and keep them around the house for a few days before I would let them loose out in the back field when I was a kid.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
This is how the hunt ended. Better late than never. The hunting pressure was so extreme this year. It appeared that everyone there was pretty gung ho.

2nd to last evening. 20 yard broadside shot. My buddy with his 6X6 grueling pack-out.

Got mine on the last evening last 30 minutes. 4.5 yard broadside shot. Grueling pack-out. We packed until 2:00 AM.

Group Picture before heading on down the trail our separate ways.