2019 NW Colorado Archery Muzzleloader Report

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The day1 camp set report.
Was able to make it with only a minor rodeo this year. Camp set, few small things to do. Was able to glass tonight and find a couple cow calf herds. All in all over 50. All looked healthy. Saw only a few small spikes. They fed out at 1900 and after 45 min beat feet to water. I got sheep in an unexpected place this year that just may warrant hunting a little farther away than camp. Oh well.

Attachments

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The day 2 am glassing session. Found the same herds this am. Also found elk being elk. Satellite bulls trying to push cows around and lead cows wanting nothing to do with them. Herd bulls acting calm and feeding while the ruckus was going on.

Attachments

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gear report. New S and S archery trekking poles are awesome. Dont be afraid of the twist locks as they seem to have engineered it correcty.

Swaro 65 spotter used in the pic below. 30 head on a small strip of private between BLM. 5.7 mies away. Nice and clear when the wind cooperated. Nova grade phone adapter and a Note 9 in pro mode.

Attachments

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gear report. New S and S archery trekking poles are awesome. Dont be afraid of the twist locks as they seem to have engineered it correcty.

Swaro 65 spotter used in the pic below. 30 head on a small strip of private between BLM. 5.7 mies away. Nice and clear when the wind cooperated. Nova grade phone adapter and a Note 9 in pro mode.
Great spotter … great pics!
What brand of tripod?

Reactions: jdan9

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Opening Day.

I really thought today was gonna be a walk in the woods with my bow. Left camp in a T shirt. Dang hot out. Hiked 2.5 miles to a dark trough of okd growth, got the wind right and started to sneak though. Nothing at all as it looked like they havent even been there this year at all. 709 about 800 ft above me a small bugle cracks off. Sun is already on the slope and the thermals are strong so i dont even make a play on him. Down a long northfacing slope we go. I figure if i work the top of this entire ridgeline eventually illl find em. Well we find em. At 0900 at 1100 and 1300. Bugling enough to get a good location om them, on the south facing timber slope. Go figure. One set up the caller had a cow circle get to 5 yards. The same time a 5x5 came to 36 yards from me but never gave me a good shot. Quartering to. All in all a ton more action than i thought.