2019 NW Colorado Archery Muzzleloader Report

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Fingers crossed on filling that final tag. Somehow I imagine you'll find a way to make it happen. Great job and congratulations to all!

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Elk day 13
It appeared to me the day prior that once the rut fest broke up all the animals seems to just go their own way. We were always down wind even after shots so i was thinking they would still be in the general drainage. In we went with three packers and a shooter. Sure enough not only are they there bit they are 200 yards from the carcasses from the day before. Two bulls are working the ridge so we get a little aggressive and with marginal wind get close enough to hear cow mews but never see the bull and get busted. The second bull is already upwind so we switch and go after him. The area is steep and with the wind again i couldnt tell what ridge he was coming down. We set up to cover both and start calling. Down the ridge he comes screaming. But wait. Is he pushing them backup? He sure is or either the lead cow is deciding the route they are gonna take. We run through the woods to get set up on the other finger ridge to intercept them. Now its apparent there is 2-3 bulls in the group and they are going in all different directions. Out pops a cow, then a calf, then a cow, spike, them a small 4x4. All are just following the lead cow in this little group. Our alignment was a little off so no shot oppoutunities. Oh well still screaming.
We proceed down to cow #2, pull the quarters down and conduct an in the field lesson on boning out the rear quarters. Once compete a small snack, load up the bone in forwards and back starps and head out. Another great am in the elk woods.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Woke up this am and collected some wood to take to the taxidermist for my bear mount.

Closing camp.
Always a sad day for me as i keep it to my self and go though the drill of putting things away for another year.

Satisfaction knowing we got to chase em again and our bodies didnt limit us. I should say " didnt limit me" 😀

Satisfaction knowing that i taught my son well. Loved that he was thinking of the other hunter first.

To all contemplating going elk hunting. Just do it. Start somewhere. Find a mentor. Old guys mentor someone, young or old it doesnt matter.

Ill make some gear/ equipment notes and post in the next few days.

To those on their way out west for the last weeks of archery or the start of rifle seasons it should be great. Moon going away, getting colder, late fall it appears also as the aspen are just starting to change. Travel safe and good luck.

372 days till the 2020 archery opener.
Its a great day for elk camp.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Congratulations on another great year at camp! I thoroughly enjoy your stories and I know everyone else does as well. I can only hope I will get to share these type of memories with my children in the years to come!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Will post some random thoughts the next few days also.

Ate some of the bear tonight. Marinated some backstrap in.....
Fresh minced garlic
Soy sauce
Balsamic vinaigrette
Worcestershire
Spicy brown mustard
Johnny's salt
Chupacabra special blend
Black pepper

On the grill till 160 internal temp. Wow. Wow. Wow. Really surprised how good it was.

Had some elk heart in camp this year. Prepped the heart ( plenty of videos on line to watch on this) lightly floured then into a hot skillet with some sweet onions and a little garlic. Impressive. I need to do that all the time.

Lastly, had the bull and bear. Ha.....Bull and Bear.....sounds like a good bar name. I digress.
Had the bull and bear processed at H&H northwest of Meeker. Top notch outfit. Cant say enough how impressed I was with the customer service. They also have a bacon jalapeno burger grind that will knock your socks off. Really good.
So good i didnt even put it on a bun and add condiments.....just ate it plain off the grill.

Bon appetite

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for taking us along. I see you going out there, having a great time, and giving it your all and a couple other guys' all too.

That's the way I was raised - there is only one "hunting season" every year and that's where it is at. 5.5 weeks and counting for me...

Reactions: Slugz