2017 Wyoming moose hunt info

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I have 13 resident preference points for Wyoming going into the 2017 draw. I am going to cash them in because the moose situation is getting more grim as the years pass. I can draw about 5-6 areas according to last years draw results. I have narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 that i would like some more information on if at all possible. Im not looking for the biggest moose on the mountain or the smallest just a good respectable bull. The first area i had in mind and was leaning toward is area 3, which is mostly wilderness. I am pretty sure i can line up horses to hunt the area. Next area a friend recommended was area 24. he knows it well, but i think it has alot of hunters for various species going on at the same time. The last area i thought about is area 35, it has low moose densities and about half private lands to deal with. My question is for anyone who has hunted any of the areas mentioned. How was the moose populations, the overall hunting, or lack there of. Or if there was alot of hunting pressure by either hunters or wolves or grizzlies? I have about 2 months to gather info on the areas and decide which to apply for in 2017. I will have plenty of time to scout and hunt any and all seasons. My work schedule is 4 days on and 4 days off, plus i have saved vacation for this year to help if i need alot of days off in a row to hunt. Any info or past experiences with these 3 units will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I took my son to 26 in 2014, similar to 24 as I recall in terms of good numbers of Moose. The Moose density, PP needed, and lack of wilderness led us to consider 24 & 26 as our top two choices. Like you, a rep Bull would have been fine. We found a real good 42" one scouting and the kid did the rest opening morning.

Am no Moose expert, but other hunters would not bother me much Moose hunting, based on my experience. They do not seem to be bothered by much, but both hunts we've had were in the rut. That was our rocket science and it worked out well. If I'd had a buddy to help in 24, we'd have happily hunted there. Hope that helps.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks for the info on that. I had a friends daughter get a really nice moose in area 26 last year. She drew a random draw tag. I wont have enough points for that area or i might look into it more. I plan on doing some pre-season scouting in whatever area i draw. I also plan on bow hunting all of my days off in September just to help find moose and get to know area better or moose patterns or location. It doesnt matter to me if i take it with a bow or rifle, i just want to get a respectable bull, so the first opportunity i have i will try. I dont have a preference on camping or motels or packing in and using a spike camp. Whatever i have to do is what im gonna do. Just trying to round up positives and negatives of the 3 areas and any recommendations.

Thanks again for any input you may want to share

nunt'nbutmuleys

Feb 25, 2011
You would need more than horses to go into the wilderness. A guide or a resident rent a guide. I'm a resident and I don't like this rule myself. Good luck in the draw and good hunting !!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I hunted unit 24 many years ago when I drew a tag. I have also helped 2 other people in that area. Pretty easy area to hunt and get around on 4 wheels. Other hunting pressure wasn't an issue on any of the hunts. If I had it to do over again, I would dedicate at least a few days to bow hunting. They are not a tough animal to get in range and the network of roads makes it possible to cover a lot of ground looking for one to stalk/call in.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
First off, moose are actually doing better in Wyoming right now.

Realize that units 24 and 26 are managed for opportunity. You see a lot of young bulls in those units, but there are always a few better ones that make it to 4+ years old.

IME, most guys aren't willing to pass the younger bulls to find the better ones in those units.

My Dad drew 24 in 2012 as a NR and shot this bull the first day:

He wasn't interested in holding out and hunting for a couple weeks, although he did pass several smaller bulls earlier on opening day.

I got tired of collecting points and drew as a Resident in 24 in 2015. I spent a fair bit of time scouting and saw a lot of bulls, mostly younger bulls.

I found this one after several days of hunting and passing a lot of smaller ones.

Dad with my bull:

I could have kept looking, but based on hunting that unit a fair bit, as well as working there too, I don't think its reasonable to expect much better. I suppose if a person were to dedicate their entire fall, hunt every day...you may turn up something better.

Your worries about wolves and grizzlies isn't even worth mentioning...probably have more to worry about with black bears and coyotes.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks for the info on area 24 Buzz. Yes i have been a resident of Wyoming my whole life and im not new to the hunting game. Just new to the moose hunting aspect. I live in the eastern part of Wyoming and dont travel to the west side much. I know area 24 and 35 dont have wolves or grizzlies, but know area 3 has both. That said i have packed in and spike camped for deer and elk before, just not for moose. I am looking for any info for all 3 areas. I am waiting to call biologists and game wardens for the individual areas after the holidays because im sure they are with family or out of town and im not going to bother them at this time. Im trying to compile some info from other sportsmen on areas first, some real in the field experiences and then will check with game and fish later. Im just trying to narrow down which area will give me decent quality of hunting and an opportunity at a decent bull. Like i said i dont need the biggest bull, but dont want to settle for a small 1.5 yr old bull because thats all i see. The bull you shot in area 24 would be perfect Buzz. Heres another question for you guys. Would you rather hunt an area that has lower moose densities and that you may go days without seeing much if no moose at all, but when you do it will probably be a fairly decent size bull or would you rather hunt an opportunity area that has a lot of moose but nothing with substantial size when you do find them? How about areas that require alot of effort for a decent sized bull and maybe a chance at a big one but alot of hiking and riding horses

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Another item that helped us a bunch was a moose cow call. My kid thought I was nuts when I showed him, but first try from about 300 yards and it worked. Both bulls and cows responded. Worked well to draw big black spots out of thickets so we could see horns. In most cases we needed only 2-3 calls to move a moose or pair to see them. Am sure it was a rut timing deal. We only used it to move moose we'd spotted, suspect if there was enough moose in an area, you could pull them in a ways as well.

We made ours, worked well. Gallon metal coffee can, small hole in middle of bottom of can, thread 36" ish mostly cotton string thru hole, knot inside the can end of string, moisten string outside can, grab string outside of can close to the can and pull string. We kept the plastic lid and used it to sto the string in the can. Smaller cans and some plastic will work too, but I learned it with a gallon metal can and liked the "tone". Probably commercial ones out there too.

Last edited:

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I would go with an area with a good moose population. Lower density means you may not find one and since the tags are so hard to draw and the meat is so good, you want to take one home.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I have been leaning towards that decision. I will probably only get one bull moose tag in my life and i sure dont want to waste it. I got some good info today from a friend that guides deer and elk hunters for a reputable outfitter in one of the areas i mentioned. He says there is good numbers of moose there but ALOT are very small bulls. He is in the area for 8 weeks guiding and pretty much sees alot of the country. And he also is up there in the spring baiting bears and taking hunters. So he sees alot of moose that either made it through season or winter killed. He told me 4 years ago up there in the spring they found alot of winter killed moose. He thinks that worm that they get was killing most of them and said a few were wolf kills but he thought alot of those were sick and weak anyways and couldnt make it down to lower country in the fall. He has been guiding over there for at least 10 years and knows the country well, he also said he could show me where i will see moose every day but they probably all be little bulls. I would think with that many moose around there would be a big bull there somewhere. i would have to just put in alot of time to find it and pass alot of young ones.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I think i will compile some more info on the other 2 areas and see what will be my best odds and all that. But any info or experiences you guys may have will really help for sure.

Thanks again

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
So i was given some info on one of the areas i am planning on hunting this year. If the draw gods help out. A guide for an outfitter in one of the areas seen a huge bull right at the end of season last year. He guaranteed the bull made it through hunting season, and offered to tell me where to look for him this year if i draw. My question is, are the bulls pretty territorial and will stay close to the same drainages as last year or do they wander miles looking for cows? And whats the odds that bull will be around this year in the same area as last year? Hopefully he didnt winterkill or die of other reasons. Just was wondering if i'm thinking to far ahead and hoping the big bull is still around and in the same area?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
They will wander for miles during the rut. If he saw him after the rut he may stay in that area until the next rut. I hunted an area that had no forest, river through the desert, the bulls show up during the rut from seemingly from nowhere. Cow call with your mouth works just fine. Watch some videos. I have called in many bulls during the rut to film and take pics. It is very nerve racking to have an animal that large not be afraid and come right in. Before and after the rut they are wary. Small bulls last year will be bigger this year. A 3 year old bull will look like a moose, smallish antlers, but taste great.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks for the info. Ya the guide said he seen him around the 20th of October chasing a cow through an avalanche chute. I was hoping the bull will stay in the same drainage he seen him in and i would make alot of scouting trips this summer and try and locate him. Then hopefully put an arrow in him on the archery season opener. Just my very optomistic plans. Im hoping he just stayed in the drainage after the rut, but with all the snow we are getting im sure he came out of the hills to winter, just hope he goes back up the same drainage this spring and stays until hunting season.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Another area is 25 its off national forest and holds some good moose. You need to wait for the rut. I would hunt in October. Most of the rancher don't like them because they tear up fences. It's pretty easy to knock on doors. The biggest bull I've ever seen was in Area 24 but that was back in the mid 1990's. Good luck!

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Well i decided to put in for area 24. We will see what the draw gods have in store for me this year. Im never lucky so i still put in for moose, sheep goat and buffalo. Hopefully i get one of them this year. I will wait for draw results before deer, elk and antelope has to be in. Then plan accordingly. Thanks to everyone who gave information, it was greatly appreciated.