10x vs 12x binos

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Looking at investing in a new pair of binos. A buddy of mine really wants to buy my Leica Trinovid 10s, which I’m willing to do. My question is...is it there a significant or worth wild difference between 10s and 12s for me to jump up to 12s. Pros and cons? I’m a big Leica fan, have the 10s and a pair of 8s. I’m just looking to see if weight, power, etc. is worth the price difference to jump up? Can you manage 12s freehand or are they going to be a little shaky? Any thoughts appreciated!

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have both 10s and 12s and you’re asking great questions. Both have their place so a lot of this is personal preference, but I’ll address your last question.
12s are indeed a little shaky for freehand, not impossible to use freehand, but you’ll probably want to put them on a tripod for long term glassing.

Reactions: Muley bound

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gotta repeat what my fellow Yinzer said.
" They both have their place"

Determining factor that may help you decide is the type of hunting you will be doing.

We use
12s when glassing over a large area on a tripod in conjunction with a 65 spotting scope

10s while archery hunting or hiking alot.

Consider FOV also and what game you are going after. More FOV needed 10s. Distance needed 12s.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I use my 10x 99.999% of the time. I have a pair of 16x that I will pack with me if I am not packing a rifle and am a spotter for the shooter.

I have also found that most of the time that I have no problem holding the 16x sturdy but you need to learn how to do it and I am sure that a pair of 12x's would be the same. You need to brace your arms onto something solid or use your body to hold them steady. I will at times use a walking stick that is 5' long to rest either my 10x or 16x ones on if I have it available. I have never used a tripod.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve ran 10 for years but switched to 12 a few years back and love them. My partner has 15 and they are too much IMO unless you have them on a tri pod all of the time.
My 12’s I can use free hand and don’t feel shakey but having them on a tri pod is even better.
For me 12’s are the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
since you have 8x already i would say go 12x. i have used my 12s as my primary for a long time. i have 10s and 8 also, i use the 8x when bow hunting or timber hunting 12s for everything else. my 10s are a backup or loaner pair. FOV is one of the biggest things i notice as difference on tripod. my 12s are 12x56mm and my 10x42 so my FOV isnt a huge difference. i do hunt the mountains a lot and spend lots of time behind my glass. if you are not spending lots of time glassing at distance i would say that you might not notice enough difference to make the 12x a better for your situation choice?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
another con ........weight . probably not a real big deal unless you are an ounce counter in which case ,it may be a big factor????

where I generally hunt visibility is often such that I would not really gain much. when in an area where I would , I prefer a spotting scope

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the input so far! I generally carry a spotter with me, so that’s why I’m still on the fence. I’ve never had a problem finding animals with my 10s or even 8s for that matter. If I can’t see exactly what the animal size is or want to look it over....out comes the spotter. As far as hunting style, I bow., rifle, muzzleloader in different states and terrain. So maybe just stick with the 10s? Life’s great dilemmas here!!!?

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Winchester, on the tripod...is there a significant difference between the two?
I agree completely with the info Slugz provided.
Can’t really add much to his response.
I will give an example from last year though ...

Like most folks I thought I was holding my 12s pretty steady. Last year I was looking for a buck that I knew was out there about 300 yards in some sage brush but try as I might I just could not find him. Then I got out my tripod and I found him almost immediately ... bedded where I could just see part of one ear. Couldn’t hold them steady enough to see that ear without a tripod.
I may have been able to hold my 10s steady enough without a tripod, maybe not, but even on a tripod I don’t think I would have seen his ear with just my 10s .

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I can manage my buddy's 12's just fine, but prefer to use them seated with my elbows braced on my knees. I also prefer him to be the one carrying them :p they're a bit over 2lbs!

Reactions: Slugz

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I use 12s on a tri pod and love them have my spotter on another rite next to it . I have 10x in the truck and my wife carries them too. For my style of hunting i wouldn't go back to 10x for 90% of my glassing.

On my wifes elk hunt we had 3 guys glassing with 1 each 15x 12x and 10x the jump in detail was very clear at longer distances.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I use 12s on a tri pod and love them have my spotter on another rite next to it . I have 10x in the truck and my wife carries them too. For my style of hunting i wouldn't go back to 10x for 90% of my glassing.

On my wifes elk hunt we had 3 guys glassing with 1 each 15x 12x and 10x the jump in detail was very clear at longer distances.
good to know .might be worth looking into the 12s for desert hunting.

I actually have a pair of 10x50 swarovs and have been thinking of getting another in 8x42.

much of the area I hunt is to thick to glass much though . this is why I went with the 10x way back when, sort of a compromise for both worlds. when down on the desert I generally rely on spotting scope.