Secondary Draw

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Granby guy, personally I have no problem with youths getting priority in the secondary draw. If I recall correctly, your son has drawn a couple tags and that’s very cool. We need to get more youths out hunting and that helps.
I think it would also be cool if they gave priority in the 2nd draw to guys 65+. That would give everybody something to look forward to later on.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the youth or seniors getting first shot at the tags in the secondary draw, IF, the people who drew the tags in the primary draw as their first choice loose all of their preference points as a punishment for turning their tag in or not paying for it.

AND if its a TYPE A tag on the secondary draw ANY person should loose all of their points for their first choice as well.
IMO, NOBODY should be getting a Type-A tag in the primary or secondary draw on their first choice without loosing points to get it.
Something has to be done to curb point creep. And this is coming from a guy who's wife almost turned her tag in this year.....

Example 1: The guy who drew the EE012O1M as a NR with 22 points.....You cant honestly tell me that he had ANY intention of hunting that unit on 22 points as a NR....I bet you good money that his tag is one of the two tags that got turned back in and made the secondary list.....This is the kind of crap that I'm suggesting is happening.

Example 2: The guy who drew the EE015O1R as a NR with 15 points.....You cant honestly tell me that he had ANY intention of hunting that unit on 15 points as a NR....I bet you good money that his tag is one of the 6 tags that got turned back in and made the secondary list.....This is the kind of crap that I'm suggesting is happening.

There are hundreds of examples of this very thing happening. Nobody intentionally burns 15 points on a 3 point unit. I would love to see a report of WHO turned their tags back in. That would certainly prove out my theory....

Last edited:
Reactions: brian.320

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Why shouldn’t youth get priority in the second draw? The only quota set aside for them in the primary draw are 15% of the antlerless deer, elk or antelope tags. There are no moose, sheep or goat tags set aside for youth, they are in the same pool as everyone else.
I think the priority in the secondary draw should be youth first and residents next. There is nothing currently stopping you from buying an OTC elk tag and going hunting. I don’t understand why you feel your wants should take precedence over a youth hunter, particularly one that is a resident.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just stating my opinion. Looking at this thread alone, shows I'm not alone being joined by residents and non-residents alike. If you read through the thread, there are a lot of good points made, which I agree with, in addition to those in my post supporting my stance. I'm all about supporting youth, within reason and some of those reasons I've listed above.

I'd say that these are excellent opportunities for our youth. My youngest is still a minor so I DO have an iron in the fire here....

Resident Youth Opportunity are good in Co.

1. Youth AGES 12–17 who meet hunter education requirements (see page 6) have the opportunity to hunt big game in several ways:
A. through the draw(s) or over the counter for regular seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear;
B. during the youth extended season for female deer, elk or pronghorn;
C. and through youth outreach licenses

AND ALSO.....

THE DRAW(S): YOUTH DRAW PREFERENCE ▶ A minimum of 15 percent of limited licenses for doe pronghorn, antlerless and either-sex deer, and antlerless elk for each GMU shall be available for youth ages 12–17 who meet hunter education requirements

AND ALSO...

GMUs 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551 have youth preference set at 50 percent for all antlerless deer licenses in those GMU

The youth have a lifetime to hunt, build points and play the system's evil games. :) I'd simply like to see the older folks get priority or at least a fair opportunity in the 2nd Draw. For example 65+ or some other rationale for veterans or those wounded in the line of duty. I know there are some programs out there, but perhaps expand upon them.

While I'm at it, I agree with the earlier point that folks who don't pay for the tags SHOULD LOSE ALL POINTS. You are asked to verify your credit card at the time of draw input as well as given a grace period after the actual draw to take care of this aspect. If this 'person' can't do this, I sure don't want them in the woods with a loaded firearm.

IMHO

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the youth or seniors getting first shot at the tags in the secondary draw, IF, the people who drew the tags in the primary draw as their first choice loose all of their preference points as a punishment for turning their tag in or not paying for it.

AND if its a TYPE A tag on the secondary draw ANY person should loose all of their points for their first choice as well.
IMO, NOBODY should be getting a Type-A tag in the primary or secondary draw on their first choice without loosing points to get it.
Something has to be done to curb point creep. And this is coming from a guy who's wife almost turned her tag in this year.....

Example 1: The guy who drew the EE012O1M as a NR with 22 points.....You cant honestly tell me that he had ANY intention of hunting that unit on 22 points as a NR....I bet you good money that his tag is one of the two tags that got turned back in and made the secondary list.....This is the kind of crap that I'm suggesting is happening.

Example 2: The guy who drew the EE015O1R as a NR with 15 points.....You cant honestly tell me that he had ANY intention of hunting that unit on 15 points as a NR....I bet you good money that his tag is one of the 6 tags that got turned back in and made the secondary list.....This is the kind of crap that I'm suggesting is happening.

There are hundreds of examples of this very thing happening. Nobody intentionally burns 15 points on a 3 point unit. I would love to see a report of WHO turned their tags back in. That would certainly prove out my theory....
I know there are some games played. I've seen guys brag about it in different states and such. But it's tough to control the outcome in the 2nd draw in many areas.
Curious if this is being done more by Resident or NON as youth get priority and it would be tougher for a NON to actually acquire the tag in some areas with access issues and such...

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'd simply like to see the older folks get priority or at least a fair opportunity in the 2nd Draw. For example 65+ or some other rationale for veterans or those wounded in the line of duty. I know there are some programs out there, but perhaps expand upon them.
Now yer talked Bones !!!
… let’s expand to give priority to 65+ veterans in ALL draws, especially trophy species!! 👍😳
Maybe I’ll finally be able to draw a good tag soon. 😂🤪

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
According to the 2022 Colorado Big Game Brochure:

Leftover limited licenses: Licenses that weren't issued in the primary or secondary draws go on the Leftover List. Reissued licenses also go onto the list. These are available for purchase in person, online or at sales agents starting on leftover day.

Reissues: Most limited licenses that have been returned will be made available to other hunters through a reissue process. Returned limited licenses that took 5 or more preference points to draw will be offered to the next applicant in line, up to 5 applicants. Those that took 4 or fewer preference points to draw will be available to the public on the Leftover List.

LEFTOVER LIMITED LICENSES: OVER-THE-COUNTER (OTC) On sale starting August 2 (9 a.m. MT) Available in person at sales agents (cpw.state.co.us/license-agents), by phone at 1-800- 244-5613 or online at cpw.state.co.us (click "Buy and Apply"). The Leftover List will be available in late July: cpw.state.co.us/leftover The Reissue Preview List will be posted online every Tues. at 11 a.m. MT, and those hunt codes will be available for purchase every Wed. starting at 11 a.m. MT. All hunt codes will be released 11 a.m.–1 p.m. MT on Wed. of every week, starting the week after leftover licenses go on sale. No new hunt codes will be added to the list after 1 p.m. MT each Wed. See the website for full details at cpw.state.co.us/refunds#reissue.

zacajawea

Aug 25, 2013
Two major problems with the Colorado system. 1) You don't have to pay for your tag up front. Letting them pay after they draw has increased applicants in a big way, Four years ago I drew my second season unit with 0 points this year did not draw with 2! Most other Western states you pay up front and get a refund sometime in the future if you don't draw. People have turned their attention to Colorado because it's so cheap to pay to play. 2) The secondary draw is open to everyone. So I buy my "qualifying license" and don't draw in the first go-round, then nearly every tag in the secondary drawing is filled by youth who didn't even have to apply at all in the first draw.....DIRTY, It's just a money grab. AND, if you'll remember last year or the year before they extended the drawing deadline because they wanted more applicants, freezing many of us who applied by the deadline, out.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
AND, if you'll remember last year or the year before they extended the drawing deadline because they wanted more applicants, freezing many of us who applied by the deadline, out.

I remember that. LOL What a joke that was.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Two major problems with the Colorado system. 1) You don't have to pay for your tag up front. Letting them pay after they draw has increased applicants in a big way,
More states will be going to post pay, you get more applicants so you get more money for the application fees. Plus you don't have to spend money giving out refunds. It is a win win for the state.

Utah started doing it over 20 years ago, Arizona started about 10 or so years ago and now Colorado.

Don't expect anything to change.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Two major problems with the Colorado system. 1) You don't have to pay for your tag up front. Letting them pay after they draw has increased applicants in a big way, Four years ago I drew my second season unit with 0 points this year did not draw with 2! Most other Western states you pay up front and get a refund sometime in the future if you don't draw. People have turned their attention to Colorado because it's so cheap to pay to play. 2) The secondary draw is open to everyone. So I buy my "qualifying license" and don't draw in the first go-round, then nearly every tag in the secondary drawing is filled by youth who didn't even have to apply at all in the first draw.....DIRTY, It's just a money grab. AND, if you'll remember last year or the year before they extended the drawing deadline because they wanted more applicants, freezing many of us who applied by the deadline, out.
You should stop applying if you think it’s a dirty system. That’ll show ‘em.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
No CC hits yet, it looks like I'll be prowling the returned licenses list later in the year...

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Received a successful email for bear, have not received anything for deer or antelope. Don't expect to be successful for those though.