Canadian Border Opening! You Going?

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Learned late yesterday that as of August 9th the Canadian border will open to the fully vaccinated... anybody gonna go hunting?

Reactions: wyominglawdog

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've looked at some cancellation hunts, but the $$$$ are still far higher than I am willing to pay. I do have a fly-in fishing trip on August 14th that I hope to make. I have also been looking at a Sutton River trip. There's sea run Brook Trout galore in late August/early Sept. To add to the experience, they require that you bring a shotgun along, as the river ends at the Polar Bear Provincial Park on Hudson's Bay. I haven't been able to talk anyone into it yet.....look it up....any takers?

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
My brother's wife and kids are in Vancouver now. All three have dual Canada and US citizenship and they had a HUGE hassle getting through. I definitely would wait.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Heard a bunch if the canadian boarder agents are going on strike cause they havent reached a deal since December 2020 contract ended

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Several of us are going through the process for crossing into Ontario for a fly-in fishing trip. Besides the passport, you need proof of vaccination, and an approved Covid free test within the last 72 hours. With all that you need to pre-register on their on line portal. So far the biggest issue that I have is lining up the Covid test and getting the results, registered, and across the border before the time expires. The quick antibody tests are not accepted, and the local molecular tests have to be sent to a lab for results. Even the "quick" tests may take 1-5 days at the present time. My partners found a private lab that has the approved test and you get the results within 30 minutes. So, I signed on to drive 3 hours and pay the fee to get-R-done. This too shall pass.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks for the info Slugz. I looked at the link, and the problem for me is the cost is quite a bit more, and it's 55 miles to the nearest UPS drop-off. If it doesn't get to me in time, then the trip is off. This clearly is a good option for frequent travelers though, especially if you are well paid to travel for work.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
PCR Testing
Thought I would put this up for all. Its what I use for work as I have been doing the " needing the test within 72 hours of departing " thing since last year.
Test comes to your house, overnight back to the lab, results within 24 hours. Really easy and convenient.
Hope this won’t be needed for the end of month AK trip. But at least we have an option. 👍

Reactions: RICMIC

serge_s

Aug 30, 2021
Ontario
www.meetup.com
In case, if anyone considers hunting moose in Quebec this fall, me and my buddy booked an outfitter (Domaine Shannon, https://domaineshannon.com/) in Near-North Quebec for a week in October (10/09/2021 to 10/17/2021) and looking for 2 more hunters to complete our party.

Domaine Shannon is well-known, and we had a very positive experience with them in the past, getting a moose there in 2019. The 2020' season was affected with Covid, and also - one could hunt only antlered moose last year in Quebec. This year, a party of 4 is eligible to getting 2 moose, one of them must be a bull. Chances of achieving it are pretty high, based on the 2019' results, and this is going to be the 1st week of the moose season. The outfitter provides a big refrigerator to keep the game meat as well as a cleaning facility. We are going to share the accommodation in a fully-equipped 4-bed cabin. We are going to bring our own food and drinks. Buying things locally is possible only after a long drive on a logging road, as the camp is located off-the-grid and 50 miles away from the nearest town. An option is to buy an "American plan" with meals and bar included, which you can consider if you wish. Fishing is also possible, and you will need to buy a non-resident Quebec fishing license to do that. You can rent a boat from the outfitter or bring your own. The outfitter sells the licenses.

You can message me here for details.