Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
I agree with buzz, I already voiced my opinion on being in favor of the 90/10 and a few other concerns I feel need to be addressed. Did this at the local meeting, but since then I have commented on the page several different times while pondering my thoughts, and the big 5 being OIL gets a yes from me,!!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
I have submitted my comments to the Task Force. Please consider joining me in calling for a conversion to the Bonus Point system.
Without a doubt that conversion will be discussed, but where I agree with you the most is on consensus. As far as 90/10, it's time for Wyoming to get up to speed. I've never shed tears when other states changed the game on me, full well knowing it can and will happen in the draw game.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I have submitted my comments to the Task Force. Please consider joining me in calling for a conversion to the Bonus Point system.
The solution is a 50-50 split between random and preference point tags on the big 5 for NR's.

If NR's would have been paying attention, they would have realized long ago the random portion of the moose, sheep, goat, and bison draw was getting severely shorted on tags...nowhere near a 25% allocation.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Without a doubt that conversion will be discussed, but where I agree with you the most is on consensus. As far as 90/10, it's time for Wyoming to get up to speed. I've never shed tears when other states changed the game on me, full well knowing it can and will happen in the draw game.
I have not shed tears, but I have cursed a blue streak. Can't see doing that to others, just because it was done to me.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I have not shed tears, but I have cursed a blue streak. Can't see doing that to others, just because it was done to me.
You know what sucks worse?

People that live in a state their whole lives and never getting to hunt sheep, moose, goat, bison, and quality deer, elk, and pronghorn areas.

In particular when those same Residents spend their free time advocating for that wildlife, donating money to the cause, volunteering for projects, attending legislative sessions, etc. etc.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
You know what sucks worse?

People that live in a state their whole lives and never getting to hunt sheep, moose, goat, bison, and quality deer, elk, and pronghorn areas.

In particular when those same Residents spend their free time advocating for that wildlife, donating money to the cause, volunteering for projects, attending legislative sessions, etc. etc.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Buzz how many big game tags did you say you have this year as a Wyo res?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Buzz how many big game tags did you say you have this year as a Wyo res?
Stay on point Sebastian...this is your thread about the WY Wildlife Task Force.

If you want to know about how many tags people have, start another thread.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Just to clarify...I'm not necessarily against the 90/10 split as long as changes are made to the preference point system FIRST. If there are no changes to the system, I am against changing to the 90/10 allocation.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan maule and BuzzH

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Buzz, the task force is definitely about Wyo res opportunity! If my memory is correct you have 2 elk, 3 or 4 deer, and around 6 antelope tags in Wyo this year. That's incredible amount of Wyo res opportunity if you ask me! That's without 90/10!

Reactions: Winchester

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Buzz, the task force is definitely about Wyo res opportunity! If my memory is correct you have 2 elk, 3 or 4 deer, and around 6 antelope tags in Wyo this year. That's incredible amount of Wyo res opportunity if you ask me! That's without 90/10!
Nobody asked you...and no, that's not what I have for tags.

The Wyoming task force will make recommendations for Wyoming Residents....that's the whole idea.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When you come down to it Wyoming manages their wildlife for the residents of Wyoming to hunt. There is zero regulations that say that they even have to allow non residents to hunt those animals that they manage. They just do it. It is the same with all the rest of the 50 states, there are no laws making them sell tags to non residents, they just do it so some non residents can come to that state to enjoy the hunts.

I get the problem of shutting down the chance of a draw for anyone who has invested years in point purchases but crap happens. What are you going to do if all of a sudden there is a massive die off and your chance of drawing a tag with all your points go to 0%?

I am in for a few animals where I have more points that I should. I am also to the point that I realize that the chance of me drawing any of those tags in the rest of my lifetime are very narrow. So I am looking at different options but I'll still purchase those points in the states that I have been buying them in just for the reason that I am in them deep enough that it makes sense to keep putting in for those hunts that require points.

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
I agree with buzz about residents not drawing some tags , I know people that have never drawn deer or elk, some born and raised here in there 50’s and some been in the state 20+ yrs. I’d say that’s unfair. Granted they apply for some tuff draw areas but still I know others that have drawn several. That’s why my belief is there needs to be a waiting period and not by area but a complete waiting period for that species in a LQ unit!! I’ve personally have had 2 LQ muley and 1 elk LQ for bulls in 30+ yrs and I can live with that but as I’m getting older the mountains of western Wyo aren’t getting any easier so I wouldn’t mind getting another or so of little easier hunts. But would really like to see everyone enjoy it sometime!!

Last edited:

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
JimP, I guess we will agree to disagree on your statement that, "When you come down to it Wyoming manages their wildlife for the residents of Wyoming to hunt."

Wyo nonres provide 77% of the revenue from license and pref pt fees and overall nonres provide about 50% of the total revenue that supports the WG&F and wildlife management within the state. Don't you think the WG&F manages the wildlife for all of those that financial support their program?

Wyo residents haven't spent a dime on pref pt fees for deer, elk, or antelope for over 15 years!

It is totally false believing that a Wyo res will suddenly draw more tags with 90/10. This is especially true if they apply for premium limited units. I've enclosed a couple charts that show this. As an example, take a look at unit 100 elk and 128 deer. Draw odds % would remain exactly the same with 90/10.

90/10 will only SLIGHTLY improve draw odds for Wyo res while cut nonres limited tags in 1/2. In fact, res can only expect a 0 to 2% increase in draw odds in most deer and elk units. IMG_4375.jpgIMG_4376.jpg

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Great examples...over the next 10 years, just in those areas...1,400 more Residents hunting quality LQ elk areas and 580 Residents getting to hunt great LQ deer areas.

Think about how many tags that will be for Residents in ALL the areas...makes 90-10 even better for Residents.

Lots of memories for Resident families, neighbors, and hunters...and all that additional money Residents will spend on those hunting trips to those areas. A real boost for the local small towns.

90-10 is a winner if there ever was one....

• Love

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Great examples...over the next 10 years, just in those areas...1,400 more Residents hunting quality LQ elk areas and 580 Residents getting to hunt great LQ deer areas.

Think about how many tags that will be for Residents in ALL the areas...makes 90-10 even better for Residents.

Lots of memories for Resident families, neighbors, and hunters...and all that additional money Residents will spend on those hunting trips to those areas. A real boost for the local small towns.

90-10 is a winner if there ever was one....
While I agree with a lot of that there is one sentence that I don't.

Most local small towns don't make that much off of a resident hunter. Those residents usually bring all their food from home and at the end of the hunt instead of getting a nice motel room to clean up in and get ready for the drive home the resident hunter just packs up and heads home. But those local small towns do usually do a pretty good business selling gas.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
While I agree with a lot of that there is one sentence that I don't.

Most local small towns don't make that much off of a resident hunter. Those residents usually bring all their food from home and at the end of the hunt instead of getting a nice motel room to clean up in and get ready for the drive home the resident hunter just packs up and heads home. But those local small towns do usually do a pretty good business selling gas.
If I don't draw tags for say, pronghorn in the Red Desert...Rock Springs, Wamsutter, Green River, Muddy Gap, Alcova, etc. don't see a penny of my money.

When I draw tags for places near there...the restaurants, gas stations, hotels, tire shops, all take my money...money that I wouldn't spend there otherwise. Probably spend a bunch scouting 2, 3, or maybe even 7-8 days...something NR's rarely do.

So, disagree all you want...I know how and where I spend my money when I draw good tags...and for the record, I don't get a discount because I'm a Resident at any of those places either.

I'll compare gas, hotel, and restaurant receipts with any NR...all day long. Its a pain in the ass to drag a camp to every hunt...and I don't.