Official Post Padding Thread

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Like the picture! I have been told that this is called hoar frost. I've only seen it a few times and it is always spectacular.
Think we get that kind of frost probably 20 times a year. Really cool when it's hanging thick on the trees, what few trees we got.

Reactions: Johnbud

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
It appears something went wrong in the order you posted the pictures, looks the the last one should have been the first one, LOL!
Dang saw got bound bad-that's the 1st pic-I was being stupid-and no one was around to help. After considering options & convinced the little tree wouldn't hurt the truck, I made a log chain knot and 'come along' with some rope to pull it down. A little pull let me get the saw out. Then, I let 'er rip, and pulled it all the way. After it was all done, I enjoyed a cold, crisp Grain Belt to celebrate the felling of the tree, recovery of the chainsaw, no truck damage, no lost fingers or limbs, etc...lol 😆

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Dang saw got bound bad-that's the 1st pic-I was being stupid-and no one was around to help. After considering options & convinced the little tree wouldn't hurt the truck, I made a log chain knot and 'come along' with some rope to pull it down. A little pull let me get the saw out. Then, I let 'er rip, and pulled it all the way. After it was all done, I enjoyed a cold, crisp Grain Belt to celebrate the felling of the tree, recovery of the chainsaw, no truck damage, no lost fingers or limbs, etc...lol 😆

Had that happen once 20+ years ago on a big maple only option I had was my limbing ax, I back cut it old school and it took me like 45 minutes, LOL!
Every tree I ever cut after that I eyeballed multiple times and made a very well thought out plan to ensure that never happened again!

Reactions: Prerylyon

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
That's cool! Meep-meep!

View attachment 30222

I think I saw in some nature show those things can kill snakes?

They all play nice together in your yard?? 😆
Only birds fast enough to outmanuever a Rattler!These two like fresh old meat from
the grocery store.They have a nest nearby and shuttle food to them every evening.
Soon I hope to have pups! I call them my "Bird Dogs"(Rowdy" and "Missy")
STRUTTER 3-20'.jpgMISSY EATING 4-20'.jpg

Reactions: Prerylyon

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Whenever I went to gather wood for winter I took my chainsaw along with my splitting maul and a hand axe.

A friend went with me one year and he laughed at me when I loaded up that hand axe into my truck, he said that we were not going chop trees down but use the chain saws. On the first dead tree that he started to cut his chain saw became wedged into that tree so back he just shut it off and came to find me to help him out.

I asked him what would he of done if I hadn't been there with another chain saw to cut the tree down to free up his saw. He saw my point in bringing that hand axe.

We very seldom were able to cut trees in a are where we could get a truck to to use a rope or chain. We would hike uphill and then let the trees fall downhill and then throw the logs down to the truck as we cut them.