2020-2026 Season Structure - Final Recs

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for sharing.
I like what they're doing with the 10 day break between second and third seasons.
A little shorter with seven days, but moving third season later in November is cool beans.

Reactions: LCH

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for posting this.

Nothing changed that I wanted to be changed. But I guess thats how she goes sometimes.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Changing the 2nd rifle season to start on a Wednesday is weird... Wednesday thru Tuesday doesn't exactly line up with most peoples work/ school schedules. Doesn't really affect me but I think we will see a lot of guy's who usually hunt 2nd season moving to 3rd so they can hunt a whole week instead of part of two weeks. I know some people who rely on hunting weekends only so this takes away a couple days of hunting for them.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Changing the 2nd rifle season to start on a Wednesday is weird... Wednesday thru Tuesday doesn't exactly line up with most peoples work/ school schedules. Doesn't really affect me but I think we will see a lot of guy's who usually hunt 2nd season moving to 3rd so they can hunt a whole week instead of part of two weeks. I know some people who rely on hunting weekends only so this takes away a couple days of hunting for them.
I think You hit on the head right here, will make third much more appealing for most out of state hunters. Dang near have to take two full weeks off a regular job to hunt 2nd season. That 10 day break will be huge for 3rd though. Looks like they made quite a few changes...in a few years everyone will think of this as normal and complain when they change it back in 2027....if the wolves don’t come and eat all the elk first;)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I like it because it moves 4th season even later!
And it could draw even more hunters to try for those 4th season tags.

I remember in Utah when you could hunt some units until the first of December, there were some monster bucks shot during those late hunts.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
These are the recommendations they still have to be voted on. I dont see anything to be happy about especially if you like older age class deer...

Hunting bucks almost into December most years with long range (1000yd) rifles is a recipe for disaster for Colorado deer. The past couple of years only the gov tag had that ability now there will be "gov" tags in almost every unit in the state... Think about the results of this for a second.. If approved as structured age class will no doubt suffer greatly.

These bucks have so many hurdles to overcome just to get to maturity and this season structure if approved will be the tipping point for colorado deer and the quality very likely will never be the same again in our lifetime........................

This season structure is a big step back for Colorado IMO.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I was under the impression that CPW wanted to lower the age class of bucks, at least in certain regions, due to CWD. Might not be the driver to these changes, but helps accomplish the goal nonetheless.

Reactions: muleyfool

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
These are the recommendations they still have to be voted on. I dont see anything to be happy about especially if you like older age class deer...

Hunting bucks almost into December most years with long range (1000yd) rifles is a recipe for disaster for Colorado deer. The past couple of years only the gov tag had that ability now there will be "gov" tags in almost every unit in the state... Think about the results of this for a second.. If approved as structured age class will no doubt suffer greatly.

These bucks have so many hurdles to overcome just to get to maturity and this season structure if approved will be the tipping point for colorado deer and the quality very likely will never be the same again in our lifetime........................

I don't believe that it will affect the bucks that much since the tags for those seasons are already very limited. Now perhaps third season will be a little different since it will be slightly later but still the tags will be limited

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado

I would go back and re-read the 2nd line in the .pdf ..... Finalized by CPW ....

Even though I'm one of the guys who can benefit from the later 4th season structure, I'm not exactly excited by the changes for some of the same reasons stated above. I think the change of 3rd season is going to get more bucks killed than previously. Thinking the longer break between the 2nd and 3rd season will be a 'good' thing is nothing more than a joke, as with CPW.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Gray I read it once - so no need to re read it as I also talked with 2 commissioners yesterday.... I agree the wording is kinda confusing unless you have been part of the process. The reason it reads that way is it is the final draft that has to be voted on in Telluride on this July 18 - 19. How would they vote on something that has not been put out to the public? You are right they very seldom change but they will for a fact not be approved until the meeting on July 18-19. From who I talked with while no large changes should be expected there might be a few tweaks still to come.

Here is the link with the meeting date, time, place where the vote to approval will happen. Who I talked with yesterday was receptive but that is politics..

Again we can agree to disagree but we know tags will not be cut and hunting big bucks with the technology that is out there today in the rut will decimate the upper age class bucks.. Anther fact that I will throw out is that this season structure will not help the older age class or the only way it will help them is by killing more of them in the easiest fashion = so we got that to look forward to. Or it can only reduce the population (next level stupid by cpw) but I also guess that is what guys need these days to live up to the instafamous hunters.

I just hope to get a reasonable date back to start archery as if approved we will have the worst starting dates in the past 2 decades for archery deer set in stone for the next 7.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I can't say I'm thrilled about the later start date of archery. It makes sense for elk, but for above timber deer its going to make it tougher/shorter. With my work I can't hunt rifle, so no dog in the fight there. Hunting muzzy for the second year in a row now for deer, but no real issues with what they propose there. Either way, some will be happy and some will not be. I'm going to try and make the best of it or take my business elsewhere

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
ColoradoV,

Thanks for the clarification. My understanding is this was pretty much a done deal and nothing more needed than the rubber stamp by the vote next week.

IMO, the new season dates will get more of the upper age class bucks killed. Heck, with the later seasons for 3rd will in itself get more bigger bucks killed, much less the 4th season. The dates of 2nd season will likely not be favorable by many with them running over two week of work.

I'm just happy I commented both times with the public opinion surveys. Gives me a little satisfaction that at least I participated even though my suggestions were not taken into consideration.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I think it will be hard on the older age class bucks also. The reason Kansas is known for big whitetail is that the gun season is after the rut. I think the later 3rd season will take out more mature deer. 4th season the low tag numbers will help some.

It won't just be older age class bucks killed either, it will be the older age class bucks with the genetics to have the most desirable antlers.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
The only real diff
Does anyone know the results of the vote ?
Did everything pass, or where there any changes?
The only change from what was proposed is they voted to keep 2nd season 9 days and move it back a week. 3rd will be 7 days with the later dates. 4th will be 5 days with the later dates like what was proposed.