Changes to SD NR hunting, WOW!

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
My hats off to SD on these new regs... Much needed as any of you already know if you have hunted SD in the last 5 yrs. These were clearly well thought out and fair to everybody in my opinion.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Reactions: Brianh

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
I guess there must not be many members who hunt SD as if any other Western state did this it would be a big deal.

The TLDR version. Non Residents will not be allowed to deer hunt on public land between April 1 and Oct 1 in SD. Only private.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I understand where you are coming from but i still think its a step in right direction for them. Ive hunted SD the last 8 yrs in a row and the bowhunting pressure is getting out of hand the last few yrs in my opinion. i quit hunting public land out there for the most part because of that (and No i dont have a FAT wallet either). That said i think maybe like a sept 15th NR opener would have been a better idea. And yes, i agree that businesses prolly hate it more than u do even;-) Just my opinion and i respect yours as well.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I understand where you are coming from but i still think its a step in right direction for them. Ive hunted SD the last 8 yrs in a row and the bowhunting pressure is getting out of hand the last few yrs in my opinion. i quit hunting public land out there for the most part because of that (and No i dont have a FAT wallet either). That said i think maybe like a sept 15th NR opener would have been a better idea. And yes, i agree that businesses prolly hate it more than u do even;-) Just my opinion and i respect yours as well.
I definitely see your side. And I?m sure if I was a resident I would like the laws. I?ve never hunted SD so I?m not in tune with the overcrowding. SD must not need money lol [emoji23]. And I applaud them for backing the people that pay state tax and give them the first shot. But like you said a split would have been nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I guess there must not be many members who hunt SD as if any other Western state did this it would be a big deal.

The TLDR version. Non Residents will not be allowed to deer hunt on public land between April 1 and Oct 1 in SD. Only private.
April 1? There aren't any deer seasons until September 1. I think you are being a little dramatic.

Your TLDR should also include that South Dakota offers an over the counter archery tag for the mule deer rut. Pretty unique.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
I hunted there pretty close to every weekend between antelope and deer archery. Did I see people hunting? Yes but I didn’t see a overwhelming amount of people there. Why shut down archery season for a month when a few weeks before archery deer season opens people are out on those public lands still pushing deer in search for antelope. And I think closing down Custer national forest to draw only is a joke. That is federal land that everyone pays for. Once again hunted that area and there are acres upon acres of land to hunt. Don’t think this is good for anyone. Pretty soon sd will be draw only for non residents.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
April 1? There aren't any deer seasons until September 1. I think you are being a little dramatic.

Your TLDR should also include that South Dakota offers an over the counter archery tag for the mule deer rut. Pretty unique.
I take it you did not bother reading the article. LOL

Second paragraph.

The state Game, Fish and Parks Commission agreed Thursday the application cutoff this year should be August 1 for nonresidents to have access to public lands. For 2020 and after, the deadline would be April 1.

This is a bigger deal than you realize apparently as any public land being closed for hunting access matters to some of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: gonhunting247

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I take it you did not bother reading the article. LOL

Second paragraph.

The state Game, Fish and Parks Commission agreed Thursday the application cutoff this year should be August 1 for nonresidents to have access to public lands. For 2020 and after, the deadline would be April 1.

This is a bigger deal than you realize apparently as any public land being closed for hunting access matters to some of us.
You are confusing application dates with season dates. I did read the article, and every other bit of info on all the changes, resident and non-resident, coming out of SDGFP.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Wow, thanks SD. I’d rather see a cap on NR licenses or stop selling archery tags earlier so you have to decide if you will hunt SD than this garbage. SD has a track record for odd rules specifically set to screw NR and appease lazy residents (NR trapping laws - late starts, early Claire specifically for spring muskrat). Stuff like this makes me hope ID is next to turn the screws on NR to “enhance the experiment” for residents. I seriously doubt 5 years from now ID and CO will have what it is now.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Aw, are we all feeling a little discriminated against for being non-residents?? lol

This is NO different than Wyoming keeping DIY non-resident hunters out of the wilderness so residents and guides can mostly have it all to themselves.....

I'm sure the resident Archery hunters of SD are super happy.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I can't say I'm excited about the new regs with regards to archery and NR. This is mainly due to me randomly deciding to go up to SD and hunt with my dad on random years. Now I have to decide in August, then April, so that just makes me plan ahead more I guess. The residents got hit pretty hard as well. They used to be able to draw 5 buck tags (if my memory is correct) if you got really lucky. They can now only get one like most other states. Moving dates is pretty minimal compared to knocking down the amount of deer you can take. Lots of changes, but they were needed in that state. Numbers and quality are down from what I've seen. Personally, moving the rifle season out of the rut would help numbers a lot, but that's a battle I don't think the game and fish want to fight yet. Steps in the right direction that may inconvenience some of us and make us plan ahead. Guess we will see long-term effects in a few years to deer numbers and local businesses.

Reactions: troybackman

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
This change really affected my plans. I've bow hunted SD just the past two years and spent a ton of time scouting areas when passing through the off-season. Mostly in northwest SD. Yes, we've seen a few bow hunters, but most of those were after antelope and not deer. And yes, it did seem that they bumped the deer onto private land which diminished our chances this past year. What we saw this last year when we hunted a week after the opening, was that the deer were not in the same public areas they were the year before when the season opened in mid-September. We had opportunities, just need to put in time. I'd rather have seen a lottery and limited licenses at least that should provide a "quality" hunt if they are trying to limit hunters. But I guess this will spread out the pressure as its intended. Time to start evaluating some other states....think I saw something about Nebraska, LOL.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI

It is a big deal to me....as I'd invested a lot of time scouting SD the past three years to settle into an area I could hunt consistently. It also fit into my September plans for when I didn't draw a Wyoming elk tag, which now has gone to every 3 years based on point creep. This just throws another curve ball into the strategy for applying for points in enough states to try and hunt each year for NR's.

sdhunters

Dec 22, 2018
Eastern South Dakota
It is time to limit tag for deer in my home state. So dak has been issuing unlimited tags for many years and time had come to reel it in. I don’t like limiting NR season with layer start date but am in favor of limiting the amount of tags issued to not only NR hunters but to resident too. Unilimited tags in several archery, muzzleloader and even mentor/youth has become an issue with deer populations. The Muley tags seem to be biggest issue and populations warrant reducing them to all hunters. Residents are now under stricter draw opportunities and it is time for NR apps to join in the limited drW we are now part of. Just mho....wish you all good luck this season.

Reactions: accubond and LCH

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
The SD GFP has deer licensing about as messed up as could possibly be. If they had set out with the express goal of screwing up the system as much as they possibly could, they could not have done a better job of it. Unfortunate but true. We had a system where the license draw was fair to everyone. Everyone could apply, gather preference points and do their thing. That wasn't good enough for the social engineering section or the fun police division of the GFP and so now we have this.