Bear hunting North Idaho

lang

Nov 11, 2013
I bait in other units, but have chased moose a few times in 1 and always see bears. Guessing you know there are bears around if you live in Priest? Most of my time has been over by Grouse,Trestle and Lightening Creek. I think it is loaded with bears, but spotting them gets harder every year as most clear cuts are getting older and the brush height increases all the time.

Browntrout55

Feb 8, 2019
Priest River Idaho
Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking Sundance Mt, it’s about 15 minutes away but I still have a lot of snow. Hopefully it starts to green up by the 15th. They usually make it to my back yard by June, but that’s no fun.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I have chased them with my recurve in Unit 1. Never got one with my recurve.

Due to the heavy February snowfall, I am guessing late May until the end of season will be best this year.

Last edited:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
the mountain snowpack is not really that big. actually less than last year. probably close to typical melt out times.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Good luck this spring, I'll likely get out once turkey season is over. My hunting partner and I used to do an annual spring bear backpack trip on our long weekend in May(Victoria Day), missed out last year because he had moved away. Maybe I can talk him into getting out again this year. South facing slopes and old logging roads make for a great hunt. We usually see a few but I've only ever shot one, it's more of a trip just to get out there and make sure all the old gear is still functioning and any new gear is worth having in the pack.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Awesome. Just itching to get out. Trying to get one with my bow this year. Just watching the hill sides waiting for some green.
I'm seeing some green on lawns in town and on the edges of fields in the valley bottoms but it'll be a bit yet before it gets really good at any elevation. Still our season has just opened today so I'll probably pack one of my rifles while I'm scouting for turkeys this weekend and the next. Never know when you'll see a nice colour phase.

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
You guys are killing me, I've gone up to Idaho baiting the last 3 yearsand can't make it up this year. It's killing me, next year going back up for sure though. Such a beautiful part of the world.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
You guys are killing me, I've gone up to Idaho baiting the last 3 yearsand can't make it up this year. It's killing me, next year going back up for sure though. Such a beautiful part of the world.
Don't they have black bears in Nebraska? I'm across the border in BC from Idaho and it's not legal to bait for bears. Even if it was you'd have to be a little bit crazy, you're just as likely to be luring in a hungry grizzly as a black. My favourite method is spot and stalk.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
joseph
the unit just below the border with Canada does not allow baiting, but most all the other units in idaho do, I can't speak for southern Idaho though. As the grizzly expands its range, it will be interesting to see if baiting stays or goes.

I don't bait bears, so no big deal to me one way or the other, but I have had relatives who go absolutely bonkers over it.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Any luck with the bears yet Browntrout55? I've been out scouting for turkeys and haven't seen any sign as yet of bears. I'll move on to bears once turkey season is over(May 15) or I've got one in the freezer. My daughter is also anxious to bring a turkey home. She's not interested in bear hunting though.

Browntrout55

Feb 8, 2019
Priest River Idaho
Haven’t seen any sign yet. Been hiking up high from my place but there is still some deep snow up top. Not getting really good green stuff yet. Hiked 4 miles today and saw and incredible amount of moose sign. Usually have at least one cow drop a calf on my property each year. Looks like they are doing pretty well here where I’m at, considering the state cut the tag quota in half.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Any luck with the bears so far? I went out today but what started as a bear hunt turned into a firewood cutting day. I always take the chainsaw/saw pants, fuel and cutting permit when I'm spring bear hunting. Today I happened into a great spot for firewood. I couldn't resist.