Corner Hopping

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
For those of you who don't seem to have the common sense to understand the problem I'll try to point out a couple of issues that most property owners have to deal with if they allow people to cross without permission.

First, this sets a precedence that is hard to argue against if you ever have to take someone to court for damaging your property. It all depends on the judge but once you create a history of allowing people to cross without prior permission then you pretty much loose any chance of stopping it in the future.

Second, I mentioned damaged property, usually more of a problem for the larger land owners but even a guy like me (20 acres) has had issues with people too. It's been my experience that the people that think that it's OK to ignore property rights because it's to their convenience are the very people that damage the property. Some of your posts reaffirm my belief that these kinds of people are the problem, a lack of respect for other people's property, a refusal to show common courtesy by simply asking the property owner for permission to cross their property, and rude personal attacks (swampokie) just prove that you guys are your own worst enemies, why would I even consider letting people that show no respect toward my property or my person have access to either.

No, simply walking over an imaginary line doesn't do any damage but I've picked up a lot of trash left by those people. I've had to remove the carcasses of poached game and just a few weeks ago I had some guy try to drive up a walking trail that I built on my property (which parallels my property line), I suspect that he'd show up on a 4-wheeler and continue following my property line if I didn't stop him. If he had shown me some courtesy and asked if he could cross my property I'd have shown him a road that he could have driven that is open to the public and a couple of walking trails that I wouldn't mind him using, but now I doubt I'd even let somebody do that without getting their contact information and arranging for a check-in and check-out process. You wonder why land owners are such rotten bustards, it's because they have to deal with people like you guys.
I don't quite understand your comments about property damage. Corner cross is stepping over a corner from public to public. Where from within this action does the damage come from? Obviously those that give all of us a bad name may throw trash on public land or even trespass and throw trash on private land, but that has nothing to do with accessing public land.

My attachment shows the right and wrong of for those that may not understand what a corner cross is.20180303_145056.jpg

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
Thanks for posting the map JM77. This issue has nothing to do with trails crossing through someone's private land. An unwanted trail through private land without an easement, or without landowner permission is trespassing.

This issue is about stepping from one piece of public land to another piece of public land- without stepping on private property. Hope all who are reading this thread understand this as the issue being discussed, and look at the map you posted.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
What it really has to do with is opening up hundreds of thousands of acres to the public. Its an interesting topic if we can keep things civilized for sure.

Gurf308

Jul 29, 2018
The law changed this year on private property, from what I gather if property is adjacent to private and not fenced or cultivated it has to be clearly marked as private

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
It almost seems as tho the guide/landowner and the public land diy hunter are at odds on the issue. I don’t understand it seems like such a simple issue.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Buzz, are done boring me with all the old family pictures? You have created an argument based on your feeling that you should be able to do what ever you want, not the reality of the law. I know your memory is probably slipping at your age but in my very first post I said

If you make the effort to ask for permission to cross private property you improve your chances of getting to that remote spot you like, a little effort on your part to be a good neighbor just might solve you dilemma rather than pissing and moaning about land owner's rights.
Now I assume that in all your days of crossing your neighbor's land while hunting, you knew those neighbors personally and you guys even hunted together on each other's property. In fact, you had prior permission through casual conversation and maybe even expressly given to each other, that's all I'm saying people should do. If you want to cross private property be considerate enough to ask for permission fist and I'd bet that more often than not you'll get permission.

I'm replying only because I felt that your long winded essay on your family's past deserved a response since your implication is that I'm just another out-of-state rich guy and therefore deserves to be insulted and treated with no respect - you obviously are a John Testor Democrat since you like to use his words. Attacking me and making up lies about what I said ("my country"? you were the one that called it that, I never did) isn't helping anybody, it just proves that you're a rude old man with a bad attitude.

If you like to corner jump then I'm sure that Buzz will be glad to pay any fines and court costs if you get caught and he'll be glad to let you have any game he takes while your license privileges are suspended. Once, a long time ago, I had a boss tell me that integrity was a quaint old concept that was laughable, I guess it's true.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It appears that many have opinions regarding this but they are just that, opinions. Until a law is passed specifically stating it is or isn't legal , it will remain grey area to me.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
The only way this is settled is if Buzz pulls over on the interstate and heads off to go corner jumping while at the same time TopGun3006 drives by and sees him.

Then we have a.
[video=youtube;Kqewojda3M0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqewojda3M0[/video]

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My problem is when I find two properties that are connected in a diamond fashion with public on the rest of it along with having 6' high fences.

I don't think that I can hop that high anymore.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
My problem is when I find two properties that are connected in a diamond fashion with public on the rest of it along with having 6' high fences.

I don't think that I can hop that high anymore.
I've cured that problem. I invented the pole vaulting trekking poles. Just attach the 2 5' poles together, and bam! 10' pole vault pole to get you over any corner!

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
The only way this is settled is if Buzz pulls over on the interstate and heads off to go corner jumping while at the same time TopGun3006 drives by and sees him.

Then we have a.
[video=youtube;Kqewojda3M0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqewojda3M0[/video]
i so miss top gun 3006’s fire and enthusiasm! So peaceful yet sometimes boring since he left us.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've cured that problem. I invented the pole vaulting trekking poles. Just attach the 2 5' poles together, and bam! 10' pole vault pole to get you over any corner!
It could be a little hard with a speed goat on your back when you were headed home.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Buzz, are done boring me with all the old family pictures? You have created an argument based on your feeling that you should be able to do what ever you want, not the reality of the law. I know your memory is probably slipping at your age but in my very first post I said

Now I assume that in all your days of crossing your neighbor's land while hunting, you knew those neighbors personally and you guys even hunted together on each other's property. In fact, you had prior permission through casual conversation and maybe even expressly given to each other, that's all I'm saying people should do. If you want to cross private property be considerate enough to ask for permission fist and I'd bet that more often than not you'll get permission.

I'm replying only because I felt that your long winded essay on your family's past deserved a response since your implication is that I'm just another out-of-state rich guy and therefore deserves to be insulted and treated with no respect - you obviously are a John Testor Democrat since you like to use his words. Attacking me and making up lies about what I said ("my country"? you were the one that called it that, I never did) isn't helping anybody, it just proves that you're a rude old man with a bad attitude.

If you like to corner jump then I'm sure that Buzz will be glad to pay any fines and court costs if you get caught and he'll be glad to let you have any game he takes while your license privileges are suspended. Once, a long time ago, I had a boss tell me that integrity was a quaint old concept that was laughable, I guess it's true.
Rammont, you talking about the "reality of law" regarding corner crossing in laughable...and only illustrates that you don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, in MT and WY, there would be no loss of licenses or hunting violation of any kind for corner crossing. If you took the same amount of time researching the LAW versus spouting your garbage on hunting boards you would know.

The WY and MT wildlife enforcement divisions have been instructed to NOT cite for corner crossing as its clearly NOT a hunting violation. For there to be a hunting violation, there has to be INTENT to hunt private ground without permission. Crossing a corner from public land to public land, there is NO intent to illegally hunt or even access private lands. Therefore, no violation and why a Wyoming State Attorney General, Patrick Crank, wrote an opinion that corner crossing is in no way a hunting violation. Also why judge Robert Castor, found in favor of a hunter in Albany County that corner crossed. Exactly why nearly all County Attorneys wont prosecute a corner crossing violation.

The 320 million public land owners have rights too...in case you were wondering.

I've corner crossed a bunch and will continue to do it, you can keep begging for permission to access public lands, I wont.