Official Post Padding Thread

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Turning 48 today. First thing I got for my birthday is a sore left knee for no good reason. I’ve been told you have to get tough to get old. I’m realizing daily that there is a lot of truth to that statement. I haven’t had a pain free day in so long I can’t remember, now my knee to WTF.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Turning 48 today. First thing I got for my birthday is a sore left knee for no good reason. I?ve been told you have to get tough to get old. I?m realizing daily that there is a lot of truth to that statement. I haven?t had a pain free day in so long I can?t remember, now my knee to WTF.
At least you aren't whining about it!!
I felt great at 48. I turn 50 this year and conditioning after back surgery to try to hunt this year. This is where we have to keep reminding ourselves to hunt smarter not harder.

lets make some big bipod mounts to hook to the truck door. We will just shoot from the window from now on like our Dads and Uncles did, and yell at the kids to get it.

Tidbit for everyone: I got the big standup desk at my office and my house. It is a game changer to keep you out of the seat all day.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I feel better now at 56 than I did at 45 or 50. Since I retired at age 52 in 2014 I have time to work out a lot more and on a regular basis.
Getting up at 2am and working 9 hours a day with a 3 hour round trip commute really kills any enthusiasm for working out.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Thanks guys. Just got off work, was in the ditch laying pipe all day. Not something I though I would still be doing at this age but sometimes I just gotta show the young guys how it’s done. Man it’s tough to find anyone under the age of 35 that know what it means to work hard. It actually feels good to be wore out at the end of the day.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Thanks guys. Just got off work, was in the ditch laying pipe all day. Not something I though I would still be doing at this age but sometimes I just gotta show the young guys how it?s done. Man it?s tough to find anyone under the age of 35 that know what it means to work hard. It actually feels good to be wore out at the end of the day.
I know what you mean abut the under 35 crowd. Im only 30 but my grandparents both owned farms and my parents had me work for what i wanted since i was 12. But know working where im at it amazing to me how many of the people my age or younger are so lazy it drives me nuts. Its hard finding good help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I found that when I retired at 55 that I could still outwork the rest of the crew that I worked on and they were all under 40 with most in their 30's. But I also learned that it took longer to recuperate from some of those hard days. I have also found that hunting is the same way. I might be slower but I can go all day and outlast the younger ones while out in the wilds.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I found that when I retired at 55 that I could still outwork the rest of the crew that I worked on and they were all under 40 with most in their 30's. But I also learned that it took longer to recuperate from some of those hard days. I have also found that hunting is the same way. I might be slower but I can go all day and outlast the younger ones while out in the wilds.
ain't as good as I once was but I'M as good once, as I ever was.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I know what you mean abut the under 35 crowd. Im only 30 but my grandparents both owned farms and my parents had me work for what i wanted since i was 12. But know working where im at it amazing to me how many of the people my age or younger are so lazy it drives me nuts. Its hard finding good help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
We have one kid that’s doing pretty good, He just doesn’t know much yet. I think most younger guys give up before they ever learn there is a technique that you acquire over time. I can out shovel just about anyone I’ve ever worked with, I just know how to use it. It’s amazing how many have no idea. Kinda like if I went and tried to keep up with my cousin who falls timber. I can cut firewood with a achainsaw but I couldn’t even think about using one like he does. Skill come with time, they don’t teach that in school. By the way, my knee quit hurting as soon as I started working, just like most I’ve my morning aches and pains. Gotta get the blood pumpin.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
the problem with the youngsters is that their parents failed them by giving them their every desire and never taught them how to work. so when they go out on their own they haven't got a clue and think they are entitled to a paycheck without earning it.it's easy to blame the kids and I do but I also blame the parents of those kids.

a lot of those same parents continue to bail the kids out every time they need it ,instead of letting them stand or fall on their own.
no parent wants to see their child fail but it is better they fail then to continue to enable them to be losers.
most of the kids will learn and be fine once they get hungry enough.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
There’s a lot of truth to that Kid! My wife and I are tough parents in today’s world. Our kids, three girls, had to get a job as soon as they turned 16 unless they played sports. The youngest is now 18, they all have full time jobs and excel anywhere they go. It doesn’t take much to stand out at their age. They were thought ant a young age you have to earn your way in life and they take that attitude to work with them. I’m pretty damn proud of them and let them know all the time.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I started working when I was 12. My Dad had a gun shop & sporting goods store and I would go in with him on Saturdays. I would sweep the floor, dust & clean windows. Got "paid" $1.00/hr. I usually took it all in merchandise eg. baseball gloves, ammunition, etc.

When I was 14 I had a full time summer job as a shipping clerk at a local boat builder/marine hardware place, the next year I worked full time at a resort/pack station near Mammoth Lakes in Ca., Next year my summer job was loading roofs for a local roofing contractor. I also kept working at my Dad's store too.

My parents instilled in me a work ethic that served me well in college and my 40 year career in aerospace. My son experienced the same work environment as he was growing up. He owns his own trucking business today. I doubt many kids have this type of work experience growing up today. Around here the ones growing up on a farm or ranch do learn what work is.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Proverbs 22:6 King James Version (KJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I have no kids but I had to work for what I wanted from a very young age.
my parents provide my NEEDS very well but if I WANTED something it was on me to earn it. and I will be eternally grateful they took this stance.
not only did it teach me a work ethic but it taught me the value of money and that it does not just grow on trees to be plucked when needed.

from the time I was ten I worked on a farm, moving pipe ,picking rock ,building fence, throwing hay bails around and even running equipment from the time I was about twelve or so. by the time I was 14 I could hold my own loading hay trucks with any adult and better then most.

maybe I was an odd child but I enjoyed working and the sense of pride it gave me.
in fact I still do even though it hurts a lot more then it used to.:D

one of my biggest pet peaves is this "go fund me" nonsense that kids today are into.

I am constantly getting the "fund me " I need money for my sports or some such thing from my nieces and nephews.

folks who know me ,know I will happily help a friend in bad straights meet their needs, IF, they are also pulling their weight or if they are injured and cannot. but I cannot abide folks begging for things they want but really don't need.

I generally tell the "go fund me" folks ," you don't see me begging money cause I want a boat do you? go get a damn job like I have to ,to get the things you want. things you earn ,mean more to you then things given ,ever will."

enough on my rant, it just galls me that so many act as if they are entitled to beg and cannot comprehend that I won't be willing to give them what they desire.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I started working when I was 12. My Dad had a gun shop & sporting goods store and I would go in with him on Saturdays. I would sweep the floor, dust & clean windows. Got "paid" $1.00/hr. I usually took it all in merchandise eg. baseball gloves, ammunition, etc.

When I was 14 I had a full time summer job as a shipping clerk at a local boat builder/marine hardware place, the next year I worked full time at a resort/pack station near Mammoth Lakes in Ca., Next year my summer job was loading roofs for a local roofing contractor. I also kept working at my Dad's store too.

My parents instilled in me a work ethic that served me well in college and my 40 year career in aerospace. My son experienced the same work environment as he was growing up. He owns his own trucking business today. I doubt many kids have this type of work experience growing up today. Around here the ones growing up on a farm or ranch do learn what work is.
Work ethics are fading CC. I too started working when I was 12, summer jobs were on farms hauling hay, picking rocks, irrigating and such. I made just enough money in the summer to buy my school clothes and have a little bit of mad money. My girls have it damn easy compared to how I grew up. They could have it much easier if we allowed it, but that won’t do them any good once they are on their own. One is still going to college and working, she’s not even sure what she wants to do yet but she will figure it out. She works her but off. She working at a tire store full time right now, tough work for a 110lb girl. She’s not going to have a desk job, I do know that.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

I have stocked a couple dozen roofs ,over the years. that is one tough job. it'll put some muscle on ya.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I started on dairy farms in Wisconsin around 12 or 13. Don't remember. Been at the same job 31 years here in Colorado now. If I can get 1 good employee for every 10 hired I'm doing pretty good these days.
My son is 25 and works concrete, gets mad cuz he usually ends up doing half the work himself no matter how many on the crew.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have stocked a couple dozen roofs ,over the years. that is one tough job. it'll put some muscle on ya.
I had the roofing job the summer between HS & College. I had a football scholarship and put on 25# of muscle over the summer. Served me well when football started!

Used to unload box cars of cedar shakes & shingles and take them to the "yard" Load up the trucks for the following day. Drive to the work site, load the roofs and start all over again. Lots on new housing tracts back then in southern California, so lots of work. Worked 10 hours a day and usually 6 days a week. Put a good deal of money away for clothes and other school expenses.