Jacked up cams

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I buddy just picked up a new Elite bow. Some guy he knows was checking it out and drew it back to full draw then was letting it down and the string must have slipped out of his hand cause the string jumped the cams and bent the cam real bad.

The guy offered to pay for the repair as he should but is this a common thing that can happen?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I've dry fired 3 times. All were stupid! Twice on PSE bow, first time it didn't do anything second time it broke the string but no cam or limb damage.the other was with a bear bow and it didn't cause any damage thankfully. I make it a habit to always look down to see arrow set after draw just to be sure. Every time I Dry fired it was after lots of continuous shooting and just got lost in the habit of shooting I guess. All dry fires were between 65 and 70LB. Ive gotten lucky.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I buddy just picked up a new Elite bow. Some guy he knows was checking it out and drew it back to full draw then was letting it down and the string must have slipped out of his hand cause the string jumped the cams and bent the cam real bad.

The guy offered to pay for the repair as he should but is this a common thing that can happen?
yep, very common

The string derails because the guy torques the grip when they start to let down. String rolls right outta the cams. It become a teaching moment for the bow owner that lets someone else draw their bow.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I watched a guy draw back a 70 pound Insanity CPXL a couple years ago and dry fire it and trash the strings - cam - and limbs lol . Brand new out of the box. lol

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Wapiti has it nailed. I've never seen it, but the groove the string runs in the cam isn't very deep in spots. I was told the exact same thing about torquing the bow and having the string roll right out of the groove.