Floorless Shelters, who uses them?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I think I’ll stick to floored shelters. Something about the possibly of snakes and other critters getting into my bag freaks me out a bit.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have used a Kifaru Paratarp and Megatarp a lot in the summer months fishing. I used the Megatarp for a week long Canada fishing trip too. I had a Seek Outside bathtub floor I used that trip in it and I rigged up a military bug nest to fit. I had a canoe to carry the weight a lot of the time that trip, although there were some portages. Still I could afford more weight than if I was backpacking and I didn't have much elevation change to make it more work. I stayed comfortable and dry the whole week while most of the other guys with regular tents had leaks during the rains we got several times. To be fair none of their tents were by as high quality brands as Kifaru. I have a Parastove with 2 length pipes so I can use it with either tarp and annexes for both. The Megatarp gets used almost exclusively since the weights are not that far apart. The Paratarp is big enough for one and gear, but the Mega is much roomier.

This summer we bought an 8 man Seek Outside tipi for hunting trips. It could be packed in for backpacking but with it weighing 12lbs with the stove and half floor I don't see us doing that to much. I usually only hunt with one other guy, if 3 of us went it would make more sense. We used it this October in Wyoming as a base camp and were very happy with it. We wanted something like this so we can set up a small but comfortable base camp from the UTV in places we really wouldn't want to have a truck and UTV trailer. Some hunts with snow likely I'd much rather have to worry about getting only the UTV out to a main road than everything. We can have it set up or torn down in 20 minutes, less in soft ground. It lets us stay pretty mobile too if we decide to move camp.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have used a Kifaru Paratarp and Megatarp a lot in the summer months fishing. I used the Megatarp for a week long Canada fishing trip too. I had a Seek Outside bathtub floor I used that trip in it and I rigged up a military bug nest to fit. I had a canoe to carry the weight a lot of the time that trip, although there were some portages. Still I could afford more weight than if I was backpacking and I didn't have much elevation change to make it more work. I stayed comfortable and dry the whole week while most of the other guys with regular tents had leaks during the rains we got several times. To be fair none of their tents were by as high quality brands as Kifaru. I have a Parastove with 2 length pipes so I can use it with either tarp and annexes for both. The Megatarp gets used almost exclusively since the weights are not that far apart. The Paratarp is big enough for one and gear, but the Mega is much roomier.

This summer we bought an 8 man Seek Outside tipi for hunting trips. It could be packed in for backpacking but with it weighing 12lbs with the stove and half floor I don't see us doing that to much. I usually only hunt with one other guy, if 3 of us went it would make more sense. We used it this October in Wyoming as a base camp and were very happy with it. We wanted something like this so we can set up a small but comfortable base camp from the UTV in places we really wouldn't want to have a truck and UTV trailer. Some hunts with snow likely I'd much rather have to worry about getting only the UTV out to a main road than everything. We can have it set up or torn down in 20 minutes, less in soft ground. It lets us stay pretty mobile too if we decide to move camp.
Lots of advantages to the set up.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv

That sounds like a great set up.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I would rather use a sheet of painters plastic that can be picked up for a few dollars at Home Depot than go totally floorless. That way me and my gear stays clean from dust/dirt/mud and moisture. When hunting and it's super wet plus windy it seems like moisture makes it's way inside a totally floorless tent.

I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 that serves double purpose. It is a bomberproof 4 season tent. On trips similar to Alaska where it is super wet or late season in Colo/Wyo I'll use the entire tent, fly, plus footprint. On early season trips I'll go floorless and use only the fly plus a super light sheet of painters plastic (leave the inside tent at the truck). Just the fly plus painters plastic weighs around 2 lbs and the fly is super bomberproof in wind, snow, etc. I've also used the fly plus a bivy bag in Alaska since it usually rains with high wind.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I have a Kifaru Paratipi. I like to try to keep my gear/pad/bag clean so I just put a piece of Tyvek on the ground when I use it. For me, it is a one person shelter when using the stove. I also have a GoLite Hex. With the mosquito net nest, it works well here in West Virginia.

I just got back from a hunt where I spent five nights in a Kifaru 12 man tipi. We had 4 cots in it and that worked great. It rained two nights but we were in good locations (but different) both nights and we didn?t have water inside except for the first foot around the bottom. That space wasn?t used anyway.

SouthForkguy

Oct 11, 2015
Wisconsin price county
Ive had a cimmaron hot tent combo for a few years, its going to see some serious use in colorado for 2nd season. Love the shelter except for condensation build up. Its been in northern wisconsin opening weekend of fishing all the way to arizona early otc archery deer hunting.