American Made Doubles

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I've been shopping around for a 20 ga American made double for a while and haven't had a lot of luck finding anything. There are lots of options from Japan turkey and Italy but I prefer good ol made in America guns. I don't want anything fancy as far as engraving goes, and I'd be willing to spend $2000 to $3000. Are there any American manufacturers selling a gun like this at this price point?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Seen some old LC Smiths in that range, some other brands too, all older manufacture dates, on GunsAmerica. Don't keep up too much on shotguns, but always had a soft spot for a nicely balanced LC in 20 ga. They'd be shooters for the most part, a few nicks and dings I suspect, not collector material, in that price range.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
When it comes to over and under shotguns in ur price range buying a foreign gun isn't bad, ruger red labels are really nice not sure if they come in 20. Citori are amazing, browning are really good to and all are beaitiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Ruger is off & on making o/u & sxs shotguns. I used to have a Red Label O/U in 20 ga that shot well. Unfortunately is now resides in my son's gun safe. I don't think they make the sxs anymore. I really don't believe you are going to find a NEW o/u or sxs that is made in the USA in your price range.

There is nothing wrong with the foreign made guns, some are really good quality pieces. I shoot a 20 ga sxs that was imported from Spain by Stoeger many years ago. It is a Zephyr Upland King, 3" 20 ga, side lock with engraving and unbelievable wood. I've owned the gun 40 years or so and have shoot thousands of birds (Dove, Chukkar, Pheasant) with it and it has never failed me. I also shoot a Charles Daley Japanese made o/u in 3" 20 ga. Same thing with this gun. Both guns sell used for less than you want to spend.

If I was looking for one today, I would look for a good used one. Browning, SKB, Ruger, AYA are all brands that come to mind that have made wonderful shotguns and there should be tons of them on the used market. I would look on line a Cabelas Gun Room, Guns America and Gunbroker.com. Start checking out you local gunshops and don't forget you local Trap/skeet ranges.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Remington used to make the model 3200 over-under shotgun. They were beautiful guns. My brother bought one and the feel and weight and balance were great.
I don't know if they still make them but I have seen a few for sale on various sites.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I have a Weatherby Athena OU but I don't think they were made in the USA and I don't believe Weatherby makes these anymore. They now sell a redesigned Orion which is not as fancy and less expensive than the Athenas. When I was a teenager (40 years ago) I bought a used Charles Daley - B.C.Miroku (made in Japan). I don't have it anymore but it is still the favorite gun I have ever owned.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have a ruger red label 12 that I bought about 10 years ago for 700 it was used but fired less then 100 rounds and all but new condition. have no idea what they're going for today.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Will you be using this gun for upland or trap shooting? There's a company out of Wisconsin called kolar arms. Custom built but comes with a price tag. Might be worth looking into depending on your wants/needs.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I've been shopping around for a 20 ga American made double for a while and haven't had a lot of luck finding anything. There are lots of options from Japan turkey and Italy but I prefer good ol made in America guns. I don't want anything fancy as far as engraving goes, and I'd be willing to spend $2000 to $3000. Are there any American manufacturers selling a gun like this at this price point?
Savage/Stevens and Fox are American made doubles (SXS) that are still around in pretty good numbers, if you do some looking. Nothing fancy but they sure are built like tanks. The Fox is the nicest IMO.

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
My vote would be for a nice Ruger Red Label or Browning Citori. My dad has a Citori Lightening 20 ga. that's a joy to hunt long days in rugged terrain with.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I've hunted with a few browning o/u 12 gauges and liked them, but was wanting something a little lighter for the death marches that my Brittany and I go on. Looks like I'll be hitting a few gun shows this fall to see what I can find. I hate to buy something used online without actually putting my hands on it to see how it feels.

Ruger had started making the red labels again a couple years ago and I had heard that a 20 was in the works. That had my interest big time, but they have since stopped production. Anyway, I'll find something to bust some quail with this November. Thanks for the advise crew!

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
As ive been surfing the www looking for a quail killing shotgun, I have come across something pretty neat. Remington is making the good ol 870 in an American classics edition. B grade walnut, a little engraving, and it comes in 12 and 20 ga. Functional and pretty. I like it!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a beautiful Charles Daly Superior grade 20 ga O/U than I am selling. Really nice wood and engraved, looks like a Browning Superposed. Pm me if you are interested. I am asking $800.00 + shipping to your FFL.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I have a Ruger over and under 20 gauge I am planning to sell. It has to be 30+ years old and I doubt it has had 200 rounds through it. I have no idea what its worth.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a Ruger over and under 20 gauge I am planning to sell. It has to be 30+ years old and I doubt it has had 200 rounds through it. I have no idea what its worth.
I'll be home tomorrow and I'll check my Blue Book of Gun Values. I'm in Az now on my way home from a quick trip to Calif.

[/WORTH BETWEEN 850 & 1,000 DEPENDING ON CONDITION B]

Last edited:

Roundball

May 15, 2015
Ohio unfortunatly
Browning side by sides were nice guns, I can't believe no one mentioned Winchester 101's! Franchi makes a nice gun,C.Z. I've heard are tanks .what about Ithaca whom are now made in Ohio.Give that guy some credit. I can't afford to beat up a$ 3000. work of art.Everyone can't afford a dam model21 ! Oh, almost forgot: weatherby o/u aren't tanks!

Last edited: