The Gutless Method: Deboning the Front Quarter

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
[video]https://youtu.be/WljpqJF4rLQ[/video]

Working on finishing out this video series soon. Any other videos you guys want to see?

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Good video. Do most guys leave the lower part of the shank when deboning? This part was not removed in the video is why I ask. I know there is a LOT of sinew and such in that portion. It can be a pretty good cut brazed with bone in, but I am not sure when going boneless.

I have always felt there has to be a balance of trimming out as much meat as possible when deboning in the field and yet if a cut becomes too thin, you will not have much left after trimming it out when cutting and wrapping it later.

Last edited:

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Good video. Do most guys leave the lower part of the shank when deboning? This part was not removed in the video is why I ask. I know there is a LOT of sinew and such in that portion. It can be a pretty good cut brazed with bone in, but I am not sure when going boneless.

I have always felt there has to be a balance of trimming out as much meat as possible when deboning in the field and yet if a cut becomes too thin, you will not have much left after trimming it out when cutting and wrapping it later.
Personally, I take it all. I know it is a pain to use and get to, but we use enough hamburger in my house that it actually can add up to a few packages if I work at it.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
[video]https://youtu.be/WljpqJF4rLQ[/video]

Working on finishing out this video series soon. Any other videos you guys want to see?
Thanks for sharing! It would be nice to see a video on trophy care and how to prep your animal in the field for the taxidermist. If you have something like that. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That is the cleanest I have seen it done for sure. We started packing a tarp to help but we always seem to have to pick off grass or pine needles later. Thanks for posting.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Forget the tarp. Just bring one of those light pocket space blankets to put your meat on when you are butchering. Pack it out as garbage when you're all done.

River Rat

Aug 25, 2011
I been using a contractor black trash bag to lay the meat on ,I just cut down the side seams and spread it apart. I keep two in my kill kit one to line my pack with when carrying out the meat.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I half skin, cut the hide from the head to the rump along the spine, then remove the hide down to the legs and use the removed hide to lay the meat on to de-bone.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Guess I'm just old school. I skin them out and use the hide as a work area. Removed quarters are hung from nearest load bearing tree.

njdoxie

Oct 9, 2013
Wow, very clear video, thanks! I could clearly see everything, no shadows. I see you have videos for backstrap and tenderloin, what I'd like to see is hind quarter and neck. ......please post those!!

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Wow, very clear video, thanks! I could clearly see everything, no shadows. I see you have videos for backstrap and tenderloin, what I'd like to see is hind quarter and neck. ......please post those!!
We have more videos on the way, did you see the ones on backstraps and tenderloins?

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
So I couldn't help but instantly think of how much work that is. I train all year cardio and leg strength but never seem to devote enough effort to my core and back. When solo and having to debone an elk it kicks my a$$.

I have made a boning bag and blanket out of rip stop nylon 3.4 ozs. and holds 70 lbs of meat. The blanket is 5 ozs. Both fit in the same zip lock bag. Pretty nice but still a lot of work.

Great video. Thanks for posting.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I'm to sorry to carry anything I really dont need anymore so I just use the inside of the hide to debone. Or hang the quarters first, get the meat off the carcass then debone the quarters while hanging in the tree. It takes longer than but carrying out the full quarters out then making the extra trip due to the extra weight is tougher. Its easier to debone then make that extra 3 mile 1200ft climb then the 3 mile trip back!! Whew I get tired just thinking about it but I am ready to do it again.

njdoxie

Oct 9, 2013
We have more videos on the way, did you see the ones on backstraps and tenderloins?
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I saw the backstrap and tenderloin, those are easy, need to see neck and hind end....I've seen videos made by others, but they're lacking, I'm hoping you can put together more videos of the same quality as the shoulder video.

Last edited: