Thesis Defense!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Now that you have documented the existence of bovine methane emissions, should we expect our esteemed president to sign an executive order mandating that an EPA approved device to lower the offending particles be attached to the "tailpipe" of every poor cow? (LOL)

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Now that you have documented the existence of bovine methane emissions, should we expect our esteemed president to sign an executive order mandating that an EPA approved device to lower the offending particles be attached to the "tailpipe" of every poor cow? (LOL)
Only three pages before this thing derailed. haha.

Congrats WoodTick, that's a heck of an accomplishment!

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Coming from a farming background I can assure you that wasn't the reasoning behind this. We already know how much GHG(greenhouse gases) are produced from a feedlot setting, what we didn't know was how much is produced in a pasture setting grasses compared to legumes. We were using a pretty sophisticated technique to measure in a grazing setting, once we had collected our data and ran in through an LCA(Life Cycle Analysis) which is a cradle to the grave measurement of all the inputs and outputs(this includes all the harvesting of feed to trucking the cows from range etc... all encompassing) required to raise X kg's of beef we were able to compare grass pasture, legume pasture and several types of finishing diets on feedlot cows. I'll tell you this grass pasture cows emit 3 times the amount of methane than that of the others, it all boils down to digestibility of the feed and higher cellulose content of grasses change the biology of the rumen and produce higher amounts of methane. Research can be manipulated to prove what ever point your trying to get across, irregardless of my research someone will always have an agenda and use what ever they can to get what they want!

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Thanks everyone!! And no PhD for me, academia is not my cup of tea! I just want to find me a respectful job where I can make some decent money and still be home at nights with my family!
That sounds smart! Looking back sometimes I wish I would have done the same. Academia really is different world. Even though I don't know you woodtick, I am going to venture to say academia could use a few more folks like you and others on this forum. Again, congrats man. I will try to check out your pubs one of these days too! For a science geek, sounds like some good reading!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Research can be manipulated to prove what ever point your trying to get across, irregardless of my research someone will always have an agenda and use what ever they can to get what they want!

You must have taken the same statistics class that I did. I used to see all kinds of skewed charts, graphs and data in reports and papers in my other life when I was working. If you can't prove you point with the numbers you have, you obviously need more statistics!

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Our graduate statistician said the other day that stats is all about manipulation to get what you want!! I had figured as much!!
We like to say "It's all in how you cut the data" when we look at crop yields and how they performed. Like you said, you can make it look as good or bad as you want just based on the way you work the stats