Youth Antelope Hunts

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
Does Wyoming offer any special seasons for youth antelope hunts? I have 4 points and I am going to try and draw a tag to hunt antelope in 2021, but I would also like to start planning on taking my son on a youth hunt in a few years when he gets a little older. I didn't know if they had any special seasons or dates, but I would like to start applying early to build up some points if necessary. Thanks.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I don't believe so but the youth preference points are drastically reduced. Im going to do the same thing.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
There are a couple hunt areas for deer and elk that allow special hunting for youth. A youth hunter is up till the age of 14 in Wyoming. I'd be happy to help you with any details or specifics if you'd like. I'd guess you'd need around 3 points to draw either of those tags. If you want more details feel free to hit me up.
Doing the youth hunts this year with my son so I'll have some first hand experience.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I called this year because i wanted to know if you started building points for are kids what happened to those points when they turned 18. They said that they kept all points accumulated as a youth but after 18 everything was then full price . There was no mention of the age 14. Is that just for curtain hunt or was i miss informed ?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I called this year because i wanted to know if you started building points for are kids what happened to those points when they turned 18. They said that they kept all points accumulated as a youth but after 18 everything was then full price . There was no mention of the age 14. Is that just for curtain hunt or was i miss informed ?
There is 1 specific area for deer and elk that I know the season is extended and different for youth hunters. The deer season in hunt area 82 for a youth hunter is open 2 days longer and they can shoot any deer, versus an adualt can only shoot a buck. Elk area 21 for a youth hunter can shoot any elk for the entire season, versus an adualt can only shoot a bull elk the first 7 days of season. Nice advantage for a youth in both cases.
The age 14 is specifically the cut off for these youth seasons.

Reactions: mosquito

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
Thank you everyone for the replies. I didn't think there were much in the way of special youth only hunts but I am glad there are some opportunities out there. I am planning on using my points next year and then putting in points for both of us so that hopefully we can draw out together for a hunt in the future.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The biggest opportunity is the cheap license fees for NR youth until they're 18. Points for deer, elk and pronghorn as well as the license fees are a good deal for NR youth.

Reactions: mosquito

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
Thank you. What would be a good area for a youth pronghorn hunt? My son will be 10 next year and I want to take him, but I want to take him to a unit where we can see a lot of animals and that the terrain is not to extreme for him to have a good time. I don't think he will be up for hiking miles for days on end. I have been looking at southern Wyoming, but I have not narrowed down a unit yet.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
You have a few years - he has to be 12 to hunt or turn 12 by Dec 31st to buy preference points that year. The way point creep is going, a lot could change between now and then. Literally any area in Wyoming can be a good hunt if you have access. The areas with more access are in higher demand. IMO, it would be a good idea to start reaching out to landowners in areas with little public access/easier to draw to see if any of them would allow a first time hunter on for free or a small fee. I'm guessing, with the right research, you could line something up in an easy to draw area.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Its only 10 dollars each year for a youth for antelope, deer and elk. Thats a great thing Wyoming does for youth hunters. Im not sure if you have to wait till hes 12 to do that though

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
Thanks. I had read he has to be 12 to hunt in Wyoming but I did not know if I could start buying points or not. I hope we can hunt together up there in a few years. If I can draw out next year I will bring him along and see how he like hunting antelope.

Reactions: LCH

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
If you have any possible intentions of taken your kids hunting in Wyoming buy them points for all 3 species every year. It is a really good deal at $10 per point. I have been buying my son all the points since he turned 12. We have cashed in his Antelope points and have been able to go deer hunting a couple times on left over license. I continue to purchase points for him now that he is an adult, when he graduates college he should be able to draw a really good elk and deer tag with 10 pps each.

Reactions: mosquito and LCH