Your Biggest Buck

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Here are a few of mine hard to pick just 1.. my favorite buck I got w a longbow at about 12 yards. It took me 3 years lol.

First here the line up prior to 2015 bucks.. 32.5” and 33 1/4 wide n the first 2 on the left for perspective..

1725748A-B8EE-406C-B38A-9449616CC79E.jpeg

Also had to throw in my 2016, 2019, and last is the typical I got this year. Man I have been fortunate!!

979022F3-A167-4755-B4C4-CE53497A969E.jpeg

28F269AA-552D-426D-AE99-25450568B9F0.jpeg

2019 = the overall winner in size. 32.5” outside to that kicker.

9A1D7C6D-7F60-42F1-8FB2-DC98335A2C7E.jpeg

1F0B53BB-3BA7-4A03-AEFB-DA960D8A2C74.jpeg

657F2D39-DEFF-491F-B93F-3C1AF26F2612.jpeg

memtb

Was a miss by me!:mad: One of the easiest shots that I will ever have at big game.....I’ve hit running rabbits withthe same rifle at about the same distance. I jumped the largest Mule Deer I’m likely to ever see from his bed. He was running with that “po-go” gait, that Mule Deer will often do when running ....but, not in a panic run. Quartering away at about 50 yards, put the crosshairs on the last rib area, pulled the trigger, ejected the empty brass into my hand, while waiting for the deer to “tip-over”! When the reality of the moment hit me, the deer had run into a fairly deep basin. I can only guess that I either shot under or over the deer. I ran to the edge of the drop-off to get another shot. By now the deer was about 300 yards, going straight away. A “Hail Mary” missed! The buck was a typical 4 or 5 point, of medium antler weight, 36”+ wide, and about 20” to 24” tall! That was 34 years ago, and I will carry this nightmare to my deathbed! memtb

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Was a miss by me!:mad: One of the easiest shots that I will ever have at big game.....I’ve hit running rabbits withthe same rifle at about the same distance. I jumped the largest Mule Deer I’m likely to ever see from his bed. He was running with that “po-go” gait, that Mule Deer will often do when running ....but, not in a panic run. Quartering away at about 50 yards, put the crosshairs on the last rib area, pulled the trigger, ejected the empty brass into my hand, while waiting for the deer to “tip-over”! When the reality of the moment hit me, the deer had run into a fairly deep basin. I can only guess that I either shot under or over the deer. I ran to the edge of the drop-off to get another shot. By now the deer was about 300 yards, going straight away. A “Hail Mary” missed! The buck was a typical 4 or 5 point, of medium antler weight, 36”+ wide, and about 20” to 24” tall! That was 34 years ago, and I will carry this nightmare to my deathbed! memtb
Always tough when that happens...I have a similar story of a miss, a chip shot follow up but forgot to put one in the chamber because of the steep descent. Well turns out the buck was at the top of the hill...I missed him with a click. But, on the other hand I missed the opportunity because I was practicing proper gun safety.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Well since we are sharing...

When I was younger and much less tolerant of failure I missed an opportunity on the biggest whitetail of my life with my bow because when I drew my knock popped out of my arrow...Said arrow went down the rungs of my latter stand like a plinko chip, hitting every rung on the way down...I think the arrow may have actually came buck up the rungs and went down a second time judging from the noise it made...there I sat with an unloaded bow at full draw.....watching that deer light out of there like its ass was on fire...

7 days and 1 minute later sitting in the same treestand with the same bow and same arrow I missed the same deer at 30 yards broadside. Hit one of those "Phantom limbs"....all I got was a fist full of hair off of him.

Buck was killed on the first day of gun season by a neighbor. I dont even want to really admit how big it was.....but it was the biggest buck I ever seen in the woods while hunting to this day.

-I sold that bow.
-I sold those arrows.
-I sold that treestand.
-I didn't talk to anyone (and I literally mean anyone) for a week.
-I was one miserable bastard for a year to be around.

I am a "self admitted - Poor Sport". But its a good story to tell later on in life.

Failure is not an option when you know up front that your luck really sucks. Second chances rarely come to me. I need to capitalize on every opportunity I get. lol

I learned from that error. But I will do it again. And I am sure I will have another personal meltdown....lol

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

When I was younger and much less tolerant of failure I missed an opportunity on the biggest whitetail of my life one year with my bow because when I drew my knock popped out of my arrow...Said arrow went down the rungs of my latter stand like a plinko chip, hitting every rung on the way down...I think the arrow may have actually came buck up the rungs and went down a second time judging from the noise it made...there I sat with an unloaded bow at full draw.....watching that deer light out of there like its ass was on fire...

7 days and 1 minute later sitting in the same treestand with the same bow and same arrow I missed the same deer at 30 yards broadside. Hit one of those "Phantom limbs"....all I got was a fist full of hair off of him.

Buck was killed on the first day of gun season by a neighbor. I dont even want to really admit how big it was.....but it was the biggest buck I ever seen in the woods while hunting to this day.

-I sold that bow.
-I sold those arrows.
-I sold that treestand.

I am a "self admitted - Poor Sport". But its a good story to tell later on in life.

Failure is not an option when you know up front that your luck really sucks. Second chances rarely come to me. I need to capitalize on every opportunity I get. lol

I learned from that error. But I will do it again. And I am sure I will have another personal meltdown....lol
This is terrible and great story all in the same breath!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan

When I was younger and much less tolerant of failure I missed an opportunity on the biggest whitetail of my life with my bow because when I drew my knock popped out of my arrow...Said arrow went down the rungs of my latter stand like a plinko chip, hitting every rung on the way down...I think the arrow may have actually came buck up the rungs and went down a second time judging from the noise it made...there I sat with an unloaded bow at full draw.....watching that deer light out of there like its ass was on fire...

-I sold that bow.
-I sold those arrows.
-I sold that treestand.

I know your pain, I've had two different bull elk during rifle season at under 200 yards with nothing to show for it. I am not going to go into the stories because it is still too painful for me. Multiple large whitetail when I first started bow hunting in my teens.
Anyway below is the picture of my favorite Mule Deer, shot in Idaho's Frank Church, nothing like has been posted but It was an unbelievable experience.