You Know You Are a Hunter from California If?

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
Being a life-long Californian I have encountered some strange reactions when hunters see your CA license plate on an out of state hunt. In fact just a couple of years ago we were trying to reach a camp spot Southeast of Rock Springs after a snow storm. The roads were extremely slick and muddy. After watching a truck from Oregon slide off the road due to the slope. We opted to turn around. As we were talking to the Oregon hunter a Wyoming Native with a one-ton 4x4 towing a fifth wheel pulled up. He looked at our license plates and the road and said he could make it. We sat and watched as he wound up his diesel. As soon as he hit the slope the truck and trailer started sliding down towards the bar ditch. When the trailer hit it came up on two wheels. I was amazed it did not turn on its side. After we helped him get his rig up into the sage he admitted once he saw our plates he figured we didn't know what we were doing.

I have compiled a short list of reasons why I think those of us from California have been stereotyped. Unfortunately many items on this list are from real discussions. Feel free to add your own reasons.

You show up for a guided hunt wearing sandals, shorts and an orange tie-dye shirt. You ask if orange tie-dye meets the state blaze orange requirements.

You think a tank is a military vehicle and wonder why your guide wants you to sit on one.

You ask your guide if the elk you are hunting is organic meat.

You ask for an espresso or latte in the cook tent. When you can’t get one you pull a coffee press out of you backpack.

You think a two-track road is a spot where the guide found two sets of deer tracks.

When your guide asks why you didn’t shot the turkey standing right in front of you at twenty yards and you reply, “I thought they had to be all white”.

When sitting around the campfire and listening to the wrangler play Hank Williams and George Strait songs on his guitar you request Wipeout from the Beach Boys.

You have to explain to your Guide that Silicone Valley is not where California women (or men) go for breast augmentation.

That high rise has nothing to do with how your jeans fit.

You have to explain that your flowered shirt will work as camouflage.

You argue that California Black tail Deer are not Jackalopes.

You arrange a satellite uplink to send selfies from the backcountry.

You think an auto-guard is someone who watches your truck after the valet parks it.

You wear an eye mask and designer pajamas in your sleeping bag at night.

You put chains on the rear tires of your front wheel drive vehicle.

Your new set of hunting clothes still has the tags on them and you plan to return them for a refund after your hunt.

You complain that the cook doesn’t have a glass of Caymus 2012 Special Selection Cabernet from Napa Valley to drink with your dinner.

If your guide asks if you have practiced shooting and you inform him that you are in the top twenty in scoring on a Call of Duty video game.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I'm not sure any of those things ever happened to me, but I did have some unhappyDuck fan salute my truck with my partner wearing and Duck hat after a Stanford Win! Lol

olref

Jan 12, 2012
Northern California
While driving down a dirt road, met a Wyoming licensed truck, window to window....saw they had a "monster" deer in the back of their truck. First thing they said to me, "There's no more deer in that area!!"

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Funniest/most uncomfortable conversation I've ever had to endure at elk camp was listening to my father in law and a Californian "discuss" our beloved comander in chief. Im just glad we all got out of there alive.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
might be from California if you think its perfectly acceptable to park your truck so close to a tent that the guys in the tent cant get out without climbing over truck... might be a Californian if you have no boundaries when you stumble across an area that you already know has hunters in it... haha this doesn't apply to callies in general, but to all ignorant wannabies... I hunt with a cali buddy and he is one cool dude

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
You Might be a Cali hunter if, One guy in your party shoots a forky and everybody quits for the day to party while the deer hangs in a tree with the skin on when it's 75 degrees outside.

Along the same lines. You might be a Cali hunter if you drive around all day showing off your deer in the bed of your truck.

You might be a California hunter if you learned all you know about field dressing a deer on the internet.

You might be a Cali hunter if, you need a .300 win mag for a 120 lb. deer.

Lived here all my life and still amazed at some of the stuff I see.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
...part of the camo purchase involves a spray tan package.

...the butt out is an essential piece of hi-tech hunting gear.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
You know if you're from California if your San Francisco Giants win three World Series in Five years and the Warriors win the NBA finals!

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
" You know you're from California if you listen to the Giants winning the World Series in elk camp" Four of us (all from California) sat in a wall tent high in the Colorado mountains and "listened" to a Iphone as the Giants won the the World Series a couple years ago. A bottle of Jack was passed around with numerous cans of beer. I'm sure we woke up the whole woods when the game ended!

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
You know you're a California hunter when you are happy that it's only going to be 95 degrees on opening day.
Ain't that the truth!

You know you're a California hunter if you skip going to the range to fix your jeep's A/C.