Wyoming Wind

robsev

Feb 23, 2011
Gillette, WY
HOLY CRAP was the wind blowing this last weekend. The wife and I went to Unit 73 to fill our 3 doe tags. Wind was blowing 40-65 mph. Seems the harder the wind blows the spookier they get. Most all of the herds we saw were running. Sunday we decide to set up by a water hole that the antelope use a lot. Not a single one showed up - we sat there for about 4 hours. Filled one tag in three days - first time that's ever happened.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
We were south of Gillette a couple weeks ago deer hunting and lost a day and a half to wind. Hard to glass when you can't hold still. We were out when it started and tried to stick it out, but just wasn't with it. Once it stopped though, they came out of the woodwork.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
Was around Bondurant on Friday and I probably heard about 20 trees blow over in the woods. I didn't like it

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Went on a hunt in the Uintas a few years back and had 65 mph winds. Being from Mississippi I had never encountered such wind unless a Tornado was coming. I hid behind a boulder to get out of the wind and decided to get a dip. Wrong move. Did without that day.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I was in unit 69 a week and a half ago,,bad wind 50mph gusts for a couple of days then turned nice.As they say welcome to wonderful windy Wyoming,,,nice to visit but I don't know if I could put up with the wind

SixShooter14

Jul 28, 2015
I hear you guys...I was driving across SD on Sunday morning heading to Broadus, MT. Was definitely a 2 handed drive most of the way...and killed my gas mileage. Once I got up into MT it kinda laid down some as night came. And today wasn't too windy until the rain rolled in.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Always get a chuckle when I hear weather reports for other parts of the country with high wind warnings for 20-30 mph winds. We get em up to 60-80 sustained with some systems that move through. Animals will move very little in the wind but will find the lea side to bed and feed. After about 2-3 days of wind they will literally come out of the woodwork. We usually hunt bedded animals if we have to hunt the wind. Good glass is a must.

robsev

Feb 23, 2011
Gillette, WY
Yeah Manualman, when it rains there you're pretty much screwed. can't even walk in that crap. Nice thing is after a rain it usually doesn't take very long to harden up. Have fun washing your truck.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Yeah Manualman, when it rains there you're pretty much screwed. can't even walk in that crap. Nice thing is after a rain it usually doesn't take very long to harden up. Have fun washing your truck.
No lie there. The mud on my boots is unbelievably tough. Gonna have to sit them in a bucket of water or something.

There is still mud stuck to the plastic mud flaps on my truck. Been back a week and drove 750 miles! Crazy.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Wind is good. It helps keep out some of the Texicans, Californicators and Coloradans that keep trying to relocate here... ;)

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
Just got back from a week in that same area, and yes, WINDY!!! Great hunt though, saw 1 other hunter in 6 days. 5 of us each had a buck tag. Took a 79", 74", 73", a 2 right at 70". Enjoyable hunt...buck numbers a bit ridiculous. ~275 glassed on public land in 5 days, bucks that is. Will hopefully get around to posting a full report once I get caught up at work.

Manualman

Aug 10, 2011
North Jersey
I will have fun washing my truck, I picked up a brand new Chevy Colorado 2 weeks before coming out here. Maybe a black truck wasn't the smartest choice LOL

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Been hunting Wyoming for 40 years....Wind & Wyoming start with the same letter and go together almost like the same word!!LOL

Just expect it.
Right CC, In Wyoming 30mph winds are a gentle breeze. When it starts blowing semis on I-80 over...that's a strong wind. If you don't hunt on windy days, you'll do little hunting. We learn to deal with it.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Did you have any snow in #48? Any elk around or were they all on private? I used to hunt in 48 years ago.
There was some snow up High then sunday night it snowed, rained snowed and snowed some more. We had to get out of there while we could because that much precipitation makes the road we take into the cabin impassable. So we had to bail around 11pm Sunday night. We seen a ton of fresh elk sign but in the two days that we hit it hard did not see any elk. We were hunting the extreme north part of area 48.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
There was some snow up High then sunday night it snowed, rained snowed and snowed some more. We had to get out of there while we could because that much precipitation makes the road we take into the cabin impassable. So we had to bail around 11pm Sunday night. We seen a ton of fresh elk sign but in the two days that we hit it hard did not see any elk. We were hunting the extreme north part of area 48.
Thanks for the reply, I thought it might be soggy up around there. I'll bet there were plenty of elk in neighboring #120. They need a bit of hunter pressure to move them into #48. Are you going back?

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Not sure, my son is the one with the tag hoping I can make it work. My brother and I hunted 120 last year. I was surprised how much pressure the elk actualy tolerated in that unit.