Wyoming whitetail hunt help needed/sought/begged for -- thanks!

Dr.Swat

Feb 24, 2013
I have 10 Wyoming preference points for deer. I've taken a few good mule deer so I am hoping to get an adult whitetail buck in Wyoming. Basically, I know squat about where to go. Certainly I am aware there are lots of private land issues there since much of Wyoming's bottom-land whitetail habitat is private. I doubt some rancher would tell me "go ahead pard, just shut the gates..." if I ask for big game hunting permission.

Sooooo..... that said, anybody out there want give me some advice. Thanks!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Personally, I think your wasting 10 points on a whitetail tag. You can get a lot of different tags with almost no points to zero points, and hunt some of the better whitetail areas in Wyoming.
Don't know what state you live in, but I'd be looking Kansas, Nebraska, Dakotas, Iowa, and if your writing to travel a bit farther east Missouri, and Kentucky have great options. If you want to do a guided hunt my brother knows a guy in Kentucky that has very reasonable prices hunt, and their killing 130-150" bucks.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The Laramie valley isn't know for it's whitetail hunting but there is a good population along the Laramie River. I have seen some very nice bucks through there. I have no idea how hard it would be to gain permission but it's a place to take a look if your set on burning your points for a whitetail. I agree with go_deep, you would be using way more points than necessary.

X3 on the statement about not needing so many points to draw a tag for Whitetails. It is very true that you would use those points to draw a trophy unit, but we are speaking of Mule Deer. The whole state is good for whitetails as I have seen good whitetails just about everywhere. It is true that the good genetics coupled with the privately owned ag land produces the bigger bucks. However there are really good deer on the public land (national Forest, State and BLM and BOR) Be looking at areas that have ag land adjacent to public that offers cover ie sage and/or timber.
I would suggest looking at the Northeast Corner, the Bighorn Basin, Powder river for starters. X1 for Hilltop's suggestion of the Laramie. When I was in college I shot one of my biggest Whitetails along that River.