Wyoming Unit 71 Antelope

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Hey all, first time poster here at Eastman's. My group drew Antelope Unit 71. We have the maps we have the GPS Chip and heck have been all over Google-Earth (nearly have the unit memorized.) The question is what can a few DIY'ers expect out of this unit? We have hunted Unit 42 and Unit 29 in the past and will be willing to share some information.

Looking forward to your responses.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Welcome to the forum ithunter. You will get many more, and better, responses if you head over to the new members section and introduce yourself. There are many great people on here that will be able to help you out.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
What he said above! Also, what do you mean by that question? A simple answer would be that you can expect to have fun, probably see a decent amount of animals, and also shoot a few critters if you get out and hunt properly. Short of that I don't know what to tell you with that open ended question you posed.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Head over to the new members section and tell us about yourself and your group of guys.

We are here to help out but some guys just like to know your not just here to get a question answered and then bail out on them. There are many folks here that will give you solid info.

Welcome to the forum and stick around and soak up the info here.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I think unit 71 has alot of private prop,,there should be lopers to be had if you can find the ground to hunt on,,,I hunted unit 72 a year ago and didnt have to look very far for lopers,,,a quality buck may take more time though,,good luck.

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Thanks for the input, I'll head over to the new members section. After talking to the Casper Region Fish and Game folks last night I can confirm with Ore Hunter what I already knew, 71 is a lot of private ground but has more public than 72 but not as much as 70. Those three units all share the same herd

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/natrona/Natrona.pdf

Natrona County walk-in Area 7 is huge. The walk-in areas are well marked, so that might be a place to try. Depending on where the herd is moving I guess.

Those Game and Fish guys are pretty helpful. I would hate answering phone calls all day that sound the same, but they seem to be really helpful. I have only driven through there, but regularly see antelope from the road. Well good luck.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/natrona/Natrona.pdf

Natrona County walk-in Area 7 is huge. The walk-in areas are well marked, so that might be a place to try. Depending on where the herd is moving I guess.

Those Game and Fish guys are pretty helpful. I would hate answering phone calls all day that sound the same, but they seem to be really helpful. I have only driven through there, but regularly see antelope from the road. Well good luck.
They must also have some pretty good spouses because I believe the phone numbers for them are mostly at their homes!

Airborne1

Sep 20, 2011
Springfield, Illinois
Just replied to ithunter from my home computer, it may work now? I tried to reply from work earlier today and it wouldn't go through for some reason? As I told ithunter I began calling about permission from ranchers in February 2012 for a September 2012 hunt and all the ranchers were more than nice and informative. I think ranchers get more irritated and short tempered the closer to hunting season. I tried to get permission to hunt a ranch before I submitted for the drawing deadline March 15th, 2012 and got permission on 3 ranches. My dad and I ended up filling 4 tags in 2012 within about 2 hours of hunting 2 different ranches. The just of the comment is to get access early!!