Wyoming Unit 52-2 Antelope

CountingCoo

Jul 10, 2020
My dad and I drew buck tags for GMU 52-2. We'll be hunting the second week and have 7 full days. We are staying in Riverside. We plan on taking our time, looking over a a lot of bucks and being selective. We are in Idaho so it will be all map scouting before we arrive.

I'm looking for any general info on this area, road conditions, hunter density, etc. Also curious as to the numbers of antelope in the NF and southern parts of the unit. There are some intriguing looking areas South of Encampment. Chains a good idea? Any recommendations for meat processors? I like to look for bucks in the nooks and crannies and if anyone has some tips on general areas it would be much appreciated.

Not a lot of information about this unit online, and so I plan on doing a write up when we get back. Thx!

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Welcome to the forum. I have hunted there a few times many years ago and had good results. You should have no problem getting an upper 70s buck with that amount of time. The occasional 80"+ buck comes out of the area. We do see a few in the foothills but generally focus lower. Couldn't hurt to scout it. Roads are generally dry but when they get wet, some of them get pretty bad. That mud out there isn't fun but usually dries out quickly. I did use chains once but I'm not sure if it helped much in the sludge I was driving in. I process all my own so can't help with that.

CountingCoo

Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for the responses. I know it's weird to some that we are devoting so much time to antelope, but it's my favorite kind of hunting and I'd spend two weeks if I had the vacation! We are bringing shotguns and fishing rods so if we do tag out early we will keep ourselves occupied.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thanks for the responses. I know it's weird to some that we are devoting so much time to antelope, but it's my favorite kind of hunting and I'd spend two weeks if I had the vacation! We are bringing shotguns and fishing rods so if we do tag out early we will keep ourselves occupied.
I absolutely love antelope hunting and find it to be extremely favorable table fair. 😁👍

Reactions: CountingCoo

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sage grouse season ends at end of Sept but you can find a few dusky grouse up in the forest. We actually found some sharp tails in the south part of the area.
Fishing is great around the area, Platte River and small lakes.

CountingCoo

Jul 10, 2020
Sage grouse season ends at end of Sept but you can find a few dusky grouse up in the forest. We actually found some sharp tails in the south part of the area.
Fishing is great around the area, Platte River and small lakes.
I think we are actually going to go a little earlier so we can be there for the end of sage grouse. I’ve never killed one and would really like to.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Those sage grouse have always taunted me knowing that the season wasn't open or I didn't have a tag. On my last trip I took a couple first timers on a doe antelope hunt. This time the season was open, we had small game tags (for rabbits), but didn't bring shotguns. I had to almost tackle my hunting partner when we had four sage grouse strutting in front of us because I wouldn't let him shoot one with his .22 pistol. If you go for sage, read the regs closely. Short season, shotguns only, plugged to allow one in the chamber and two in the mag.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My dad and I drew buck tags for GMU 52-2. We'll be hunting the second week and have 7 full days. We are staying in Riverside. We plan on taking our time, looking over a a lot of bucks and being selective. We are in Idaho so it will be all map scouting before we arrive.

I'm looking for any general info on this area, road conditions, hunter density, etc. Also curious as to the numbers of antelope in the NF and southern parts of the unit. There are some intriguing looking areas South of Encampment. Chains a good idea? Any recommendations for meat processors? I like to look for bucks in the nooks and crannies and if anyone has some tips on general areas it would be much appreciated.

Not a lot of information about this unit online, and so I plan on doing a write up when we get back. Thx!
How did the hunt go? Impacted by the fire at all?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Hilltop we went over this weekend, very dry and smoky. Brought home 2 doe and no bucks to get our attention. Going back after some move in for winter.
I think CC had decent success. We passed on a ton of 12 inch bucks. Most are on Spur right now.

Reactions: Hilltop