Wyoming unit 5 ewe bighorn

bdjmtn

Jan 5, 2013
Michigan
I applied for a Wyoming unit 5 ewe bighorn sheep tag. I was just wondering if anyone drew last year and how did your hunt go?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
That would be a good tag for someone who just wanted to get the chance to hunt sheep. Last year there were only 57 nonresident applicants for 5 tags so nearly 9% draw odds. The tag is pretty reasonable too at only $254.

I had considered applying someone in my family for that tag. I helped my son on his ram tag there in 2007 and did a solo backpack hunt for my ram in 2009. We saw 7 rams and 3 ewes in the first trip, and 44 rams and no ewes in the second trip. If you draw let me know and I'll try to give you some pointers where we saw the ewes. It was from the road.

bdjmtn

Jan 5, 2013
Michigan
Thank you! I appreciate the offer on pointers, I just want to hunt sheep. I haven't had much luck in the draw and don't have the finances yet for Canada or Alaska but someday. Not much out there on ewe hunting but think it would be quite the opportunity!

alwayshunting

Jul 16, 2011
I had one of the 5 NR tags last year. I wanted to hunt sheep and while I am waiting for a ram tag in other states I thought this would be a good hunt. The area you can hunt is all wilderness so as a NR you need a guide or resident with you. I hunted with a friend. We hiked in 6 miles and set up camp. Shot my ewe at just under 10000 feet the first full day of hunting. Saw about 10-15 ewes and a couple rams while there. I had a great experience, saw a lot of wildlife, and got my first sheep. Now I can't wait until I draw a ram tag or go to Alaska.

bdjmtn

Jan 5, 2013
Michigan
Sounds like you had a great hunt. They did expand the area to a couple of other drainages thats outside of the wilderness. Most outfitters I talked to were not interested with a ewe hunt. I did find a couple that said they might and they would charge the same as their deer hunt. Iam just keeping my fingers crossed.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The ewe hunt I believe is valid for the Washakie Wilderness and the Greybull River drainage.

I think the definition of the "Greybull River drainage" is what one would have to look into for a self guided hunt. There is a lot of non-wilderness country that I believe would fall into the "Greybull River drainage", including the south face of Carter Mountain, Francs Fork, Timber Creek, and Wood River all flow into the Greybull River. A lot of sheep in that country. I think those areas should fall into the definition of the "Greybull River Drainage". That is the country I killed the ram in my avatar in.

I am not the expert on what that definition includes, and someone would have to do their homework.

Last edited:

alwayshunting

Jul 16, 2011
I did not notice they added those drainages outside of the wilderness this year. The description reads "valid in that portion of Area 5 within the Greybull River drainage of the Washakie Wilderness; also valid in the Jack Creek and Pickett Creek drainages" The las part was added this year. Last year it was only open to the part of the Greybull drainage that was also in the wilderness. I was sent some offers from guides after I received my tag with prices ranging from 1500-3000. If you draw I would start with talking to the sheep biologist out of Cody.