Wyoming Unit 25 Opportunities

lucas257

Jun 7, 2022
All, I'm looking for any and all tips for unit 25 for mule deer this year. Myself and a buddy are trying it. I know the droughts and wildfires have wreaked havoc in WY and changed a lot of things (not for the better) and I'm aware trophy deer aren't known to be in excess in this area. Typically I have hunted Evanston and Kaycee with pretty decent luck in years past. I'm looking to go in probably around the red grade trails by big horn; still up in the air, might go north or south of there. Being mid October, I won't even know where to start in the mountains; the foot hills, higher elevation, not sure how they migrate in that area. We are dedicated to the hunt, we are willing to walk morning to night all week, we are just looking for some "general" direction on where to go or how to go about it.

"Any" input or messages would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
All, I'm looking for any and all tips for unit 25 for mule deer this year. Myself and a buddy are trying it. I know the droughts and wildfires have wreaked havoc in WY and changed a lot of things (not for the better) and I'm aware trophy deer aren't known to be in excess in this area. Typically I have hunted Evanston and Kaycee with pretty decent luck in years past. I'm looking to go in probably around the red grade trails by big horn; still up in the air, might go north or south of there. Being mid October, I won't even know where to start in the mountains; the foot hills, higher elevation, not sure how they migrate in that area. We are dedicated to the hunt, we are willing to walk morning to night all week, we are just looking for some "general" direction on where to go or how to go about it.

"Any" input or messages would be greatly appreciated.

Luke
Welcome to the forum. No experience specifically in 25 but I believe It will be very weather dependent. If you get some early October snow, I would be looking at foothill elevations.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

lucas257

Jun 7, 2022
Thank you! I know the weather can be sporadic around that time; I'm all for the snow, just not 4 foot of it!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yup, very weather dependent. Look for funnels, especially if the snow has fallen.

Good luck, and go post an introduction. We would love to see a few pics from your hunts in years past!

Reactions: lucas257

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Just curious why you would switch to 25 if youve had good luck down around Kaycee? Both are region Y general units arent they?

lucas257

Jun 7, 2022
Kaycee is in region Y, Evanston is not. Evanston we do not have enough points for, and the drought hasn't done the west side any good (however, same can be said about the eastern side). For region Y though we couldn't find any good private land to hunt for a trespass fee. To my surprise a lot of the ranchers were cutting back on the # of hunters allowed. So we decided we wanted to do what we think can be a difficult, but rewarding hunt if we hunt hard; so we picked the big horns.